• March 28, 2024, 02:52:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Is this possible? RAID 1 two volumes with 4 WD 2TB drives?  (Read 3142 times)

mssca

• Level 1 Member
Is this possible? RAID 1 two volumes with 4 WD 2TB drives?
« on: July 06, 2010, 12:12:27 PM »

I will buy the DNS 343 once the D-Link release the firmware 1.04 officially release. I do not want to deal with fan speed related freezing issues. I like D-Link, but it seems like 343 is unstable.  :-[

My real question is 8)
When I buy this I want to create two volume with RAID 1. In other words four Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5 hard drives as two volumes of RAID 1. So... two of the four will mirror each other while other two will mirror each other as an independent separate volume mirroring each other. Is it possible to do so? ???

I hope the explanation is clear.

This is for home office use as a backup for all our files. So it is impotent to have two independent RAID 1 volumes. That is why I want to go with four HDs with two of each mirroring data.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Is this possible? RAID 1 two volumes with 4 WD 2TB drives?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 06:42:33 AM »

Yes.  From my understanding you can create two RAID-1 volumes with 4 HDDs.  Here is an earlier thread addressing this subject: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=12487.0
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Is this possible? RAID 1 two volumes with 4 WD 2TB drives?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 12:57:26 PM »

This is for home office use as a backup for all our files. So it is impotent to have two independent RAID 1 volumes. That is why I want to go with four HDs with two of each mirroring data.

With this approach you still don't have a backup - what happens if the DNS-343 it self fails?
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.