• March 28, 2024, 07:45:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why so slow?  (Read 8842 times)

dacatz

• Level 1 Member
Why so slow?
« on: September 06, 2009, 09:56:51 AM »

Okie, i have 2 dns-323 storage drive....both are in raid 1 mode....one of storage bay have 500gb and the other one have 1.5TB....both connect to linksys gigabit router w/cat5e cables....for some reason when i use my wifi access laptop to transfer 400gb to bigger storage drive....the maximum transfer rate i am only getting is 1.03mb/s? is it because i am using wifi access the drive and transfer the files? or some other problem?

Hopefully someone can help me! thx!

Ps. the reason i want to transfer the files because i want to update one of the storage drive's firmware from 1.5 to 1.7!

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Why so slow?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 06:09:41 PM »

Wireless is usually pretty slow for "bulk data" transfer, best I can do on a wireless-g is about 2.2 MByte/sec - now - you seem to be transferring from DNS-323_1 to DNS-323_2 via the laptop on wireless, so you're getting hit twice.

Plug the laptop in for the duration of the "backup" and I'm calling it a backup because it's just a precaution, an upgrade from 1.05 to 1.07 does not require a reformat and should not cause any loss of data.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 06:48:23 PM »

I have been able to hit about 4mbytes/sec on a perfect 802.11g link, but that's with the DNS-323 on a wired gigabit connection.  OTOH, writing seems to be slower, most like 2.5mbytes/sec.

Wireless just isn't the medium for file transfers. :)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

dacatz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 07:03:09 PM »

is there other way beside plug in the computer to the router? Any command windows screen from the dns_1 to perform copy function which i can transfer the files to dns_2? I know it will not format HD when i upgrade firmware? but at this moment i am trying to "BACKUP".....but this process will takes almost a week for backup 400GB....if the speed goes around 1mb/s...what should i do?

pimpstylz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 01:05:27 AM »

I don't know exactly how it all works with file transfers, but here's something that might help.

Since you're using your computer to orchestrate your file transfer, then your machine receives information and issues the command about what to copy and where.  If you connect your machine directly to the router, it's a lot faster.

The best thing to do is to remove your machine from the process if at all possible.  I see a couple of possibilities; one is using the "backup" application that you have access to via the admin console (not the one on the disk).  I haven't done this myself (I have only copied within one NAS between the two disks) but I imagine you can go between two different 323's.) 

The other option is to have one set up as an FTP server, and have the other do an FTP download, also with the "backup" app.

These options all remove your remote PC, and the 323's will talk directly to each other.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 05:30:27 AM »

What's this "backup function" you speak of?  My DNS-323 doesn't have it.  Would this be an "add-on" package?

bripab007

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 06:06:23 AM »

At the web GUI login screen, click Applications (might be called Downloads on earlier FW versions?) button instead of the Configuration button when logging in.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 06:13:33 AM »

I don't think I've ever clicked that one since I set it up!  ;D  I'll have to check it out. :)

Filosofer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 08:42:01 AM »

I have hit about 5+ mbs transfers on the router.
Don't believe the 10/100 transfer rate. Anything you transfer through windows will be slow.
The only way to double that transfer rate is by using an ftp software. I am still trying to get it to work. a lot of people are having issues i think with the FTP built in client.

Gigabit transfers must have everything gigabit enabled and network cards also have to be gigabit. There is an option in the settings that says JUMBO FRAMES. I believe this is a setting for gigabit networks.

goodluck!

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 11:05:37 AM »

You need to have all gigabit capable hardware and also configure jumbo frames if you expect to see any significant improvement with gigabit connections.  Obviously, all the switches and other equipment in the path MUST support jumbo frames for this to work.  I found that 4k frames worked best on the DNS-321 and DNS-323, FWIW.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 01:27:11 PM »

You need to have all gigabit capable hardware and also configure jumbo frames if you expect to see any significant improvement with gigabit connections.  Obviously, all the switches and other equipment in the path MUST support jumbo frames for this to work.  I found that 4k frames worked best on the DNS-321 and DNS-323, FWIW.

Ahhhh - you should see significant improvement switching from a 10/100 mbps to a gigabit network, even if you don't have jumbo frame - significant as in a 100% or greater improvement in throughput, assuming that network bandwidth is your bottleneck.

The improvement to be had from jumbo frame may be more elusive depending on the nature of your data transfers and the optimum frame size is going to be determined by your network and the data being transferred, so I would suggest you spend some time - it shouldn't take more than an hour or so - running tests of your own.

orangetang

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »

I'm fairly certain that the typical improvement in data transfer rate from going to 1000Mbps w JUMBO frames from 100Mbps network is about ~6MB/s. ~14MB-16MB/s to ~22MB/s max. I get around ~4-6MB/s over draft n wifi.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 06:27:02 PM »

I'm fairly certain that the typical improvement in data transfer rate from going to 1000Mbps w JUMBO frames from 100Mbps network is about ~6MB/s. ~14MB-16MB/s to ~22MB/s max. I get around ~4-6MB/s over draft n wifi.

Let's review those numbers, shall we?

You seem to be claiming ~14MB/s-16MB/s on 100mbps, improving to 22MB/s max on gigabit with jumbo frame - for an improvement of ~ 6MB/s.  Did I get that right?

Well - for the record, the max theoretical throughput achieveable on 100mbps will be 12.5MB/s, in practice it's likely to be less - so your numbers are off somewhat, correcting for that we get closer to 9.5MB/s improvement and I have achieved in excess of 30MB/s on gigabit with jumbo, so we could be looking at an improvement of as much as 17.5MB/s - or roughly 150%.

Using the numbers I've observed, throughput on 100mbps has been somewhat less than the theoretical maximum, closer to 10MB/s and on gigabit without jumbo, roughly 20~21MB/s hence my earlier suggestion that 100% improvement was possible.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 06:41:07 PM »

I never got more than 9mbyte/sec on 100mbit connections.

orangetang

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 12:05:19 PM »

I got my numbers confused. Maybe I was thinking with and without JUMBO on a gigabit network. Still it seems this device reaches its maximum around 21-22MB/s. I would have checked on my own unit, but I think it is toast.

Here are some benchmarks with and without jumbo frames

The only rates I claimed of achieving are over draft N, since my POS DNS-323 refused to switch to 1000mbps, being directly behind a WRT310N router.
Pages: [1] 2