• April 27, 2024, 09:59:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Extremely Slow Wired and Wireless  (Read 4160 times)

david_lee

• Level 1 Member
Extremely Slow Wired and Wireless
« on: July 06, 2010, 06:46:27 AM »

i am new to this forum, and a relative noob to routers. i have learned more about them in last 2 weeks than really ever wanted to. after the death of my linksys wrt150n after 2 years of reliable service(if not great coverage) i tried a belkin play that would only connect for a half hour(really good speed and coverage) then quit and need to be rebooted. now with this dir-628 i can not get decent speed for any connection type.

its the hardware version 2A and is running firmware version 1.22 straight out of the box.

the only high speed connection in our area is a wireless broadband where they mount an antenna and modem on the exterior of the house with a power over ethernet box inside feeding it. there is only about 70ft or so of ethernet between the PoE box and the desktop. the connection requires a static ip address and i have all that info setup correctly.

when the desktop is hooked up directly, the connection is extremely fast. when i set up the router with only the static ip and hook the desktop to it(wired connection), the router and computer will say they are connected to the internet, but i cannot get a web page to load. if i then disable UPnP, no help. then switch from auto 10/100 to 10, it loads but very slowly. switch to 100, wont load. put it back to 10 and try all different manner of configuration settings and combinations, some work and others dont but none are anywhere near the speed of the connection without the router. while doing this i had a laptop connecting and watched the connection speed with each configuration. the best i got was 24mbps. that is worse than pitiful considering the linksys was running faster than that even when it only had one bar of signal.

any ideas on why it will not allow a decent wired or wireless connection would be greatly appreciated. i am not a fan of returning products, but i will only give this one till the end of the week

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
Re: Extremely Slow Wired and Wireless
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 12:59:19 PM »

It has been posted that the WAN Ethernet port speed is generally set to AUTO speed (10 or 100) and this might cause this problem.  Set the port to the maximum port speed that your service uses.