• March 28, 2024, 06:19:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: What does UPNP Port Forwarding do? ???  (Read 9044 times)

pish180

• Level 1 Member
What does UPNP Port Forwarding do? ???
« on: July 29, 2013, 12:18:48 PM »

As we are all aware the manual is very vague.  I cannot find anything that describes what UPNP port forwarding does on this particular device...?  I am a network engineering am quite disappointed it is not described what this will do by checking this box.  One would think... when you check the box another input field would appear asking you for the initiation address port (for outside the firewall) and then another box for the internal address port.  I have DDNS setup on my router and the UPNP port forwarding still manages to steal my home page. 

This firmware is junk...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:42:17 PM by pish180 »

RoughRiver

• Level 1 Member
Re: What does UPNP Port Forwarding do? ???
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 09:12:14 AM »

From what I can tell, it causes the camera to tell a UPnP enabled router to establish port forwards for the camera. Assume you're camera has local IP 192.168.1.7 (via DHCP), and that you've left the camera ports with the default values (HTTP on 80, HTTPS on 443). The camera will tell the router to forward all unsolicited incoming requests for ports 80 and 443 to 192.168.1.7 (same respective ports).

More complex situations probably have to be done manually in the router. For example, suppose we had 2 5020's (with IP's .7 and .8 ), and we wanted both to be accessible from the internet, but only via HTTPS. Well, we can't explicitly manage the HTTPS port via the firmware, so that means that either both cameras will be listening on 443, or (somehow one will figure out to listen on some other port - that isn't obvious to us). Assuming both cameras are listening on 443, we'd need to be able to sort it out in the router.

We could setup 2 port forwards - one for requested port 4431 which could be mapped to the first camera (192.168.1.7) port 443, and one for requested port 4432 which would map to .8 port 443. I suspect that there are some routers where doing this would be difficult (if not impossible). I do not think that the camera build in feature "enable UPnP port forwarding" will handle this sort of thing. We wouldn't setup port 80 forwarding at all (because we don't want to be able to get to the camera without HTTPS).

Of course, I do NOT have two 5020's so much of that last part is conjecture.

pish180

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 09:54:22 AM »

The problem is... it doesn't tell you want the incoming port is going to be set to nor does the manual.  It's a crapshoot.  I will have to investigate what port it "decides" it wants to use.  In my opinion it was a great idea to have this feature but a really poor implantation of doing it.

As I mentioned I check this box assuming it would change the UPNP settings being sent to my router... but that was not the case.  It still wanted to take both 80 and 443.. it has pretty much hijacked my DDNS that I had to my router from the web and now I have a prompt for my camera login.  Had the UPNP forwarding worked properly it should have told me what port it was going to assign on the outside to port 80 on the inside (default port).

Anyways... I'm done with UPNP on this device, its annoying me. Going to do this the old fashion way. 

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 07:00:05 AM »

The problem is... it doesn't tell you want the incoming port is going to be set to nor does the manual.  It's a ****shoot.  I will have to investigate what port it "decides" it wants to use.  In my opinion it was a great idea to have this feature but a really poor implantation of doing it.

As I mentioned I check this box assuming it would change the UPNP settings being sent to my router... but that was not the case.  It still wanted to take both 80 and 443.. it has pretty much hijacked my DDNS that I had to my router from the web and now I have a prompt for my camera login.  Had the UPNP forwarding worked properly it should have told me what port it was going to assign on the outside to port 80 on the inside (default port).

Anyways... I'm done with UPNP on this device, its annoying me. Going to do this the old fashion way. 

Which router do you have?

I have an Asus.  After the router has given a default IP to the camera, I manually assign it to the camera so it won't change.

I also configure the outside port to forward to the inside port the camera is listening on.  I've changed it form 80 to 1081,1082,etc.

So outsideIP:8081 goes to insideIP:1081, etc.