• March 19, 2024, 07:01:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DCS-920 Can't make it work wireless  (Read 21966 times)

ajheyer

• Level 1 Member
DCS-920 Can't make it work wireless
« on: January 10, 2010, 09:37:50 AM »

I having difficulty making the wireless connection to this camera.
I'm working with a MacBook Pro, OS 10.5.8
I know the Software features won't work on the Mac but I've found
links that describe how to use the Camera and then use Mac software to
view and manipulate the images.

I am able to connect to the camera if I plug an Ethernet cable
directly between the Mac and the Camera.
I'm able to Zoom in and Out, change the the JPG resolution so I'm
happy with how that's working.

I'm having trouble making the connection work wirelessly.

Here's settings I'm currently on (although I've tried numerous other
combinations with no luck so far.)

Network:  Static IP  192.168.1.75
Wireless:
Ad Hoc
WEP 64 bits with HEX selection and 2136424296  (the code on my WiFi
net with Uverse router)
Java

After I've saved the settings, and disconnect the Ethernet cable, I
remove the Camera power and restart.
LED on the Camera shows green, but can't see the picture on my Browser
when I attempt to connect to:  http://192.168.1.75/Jview.htm

I've also tried doing Camera setup by using the Setup Wizard on Windows XP Pro on Parallels 3.0 on my MacBook Pro with the Camera ethernet cable plugged directly into my Uverse Router.  I do all the same settings as indicated above and are returned to Wizard start where the camera shows but when I click on "Link", it opens my browser (tried both Firefox and IE) attemting to link to http://192.168.1.75 but times out, can't connect.

Any suggestions you could offer would be appreciated.

Here's screen shot of settings (don't know if I pasted that in right)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 06:56:49 AM by ajheyer »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: DCS-920 Can't make it work wireless
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 03:56:25 PM »

Have you tried connecting the camera to your router wirelessly as a client?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

ajheyer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 04:37:24 PM »

Have you tried connecting the camera to your router wirelessly as a client?

Not sure what you mean by "wirelessly as a client".
As I indicated in my post I did the setup of the Network settings and the Wireless settings by accessing the Camera at 192.168.1.75 with an Ethernet cable into my MacBookPro.  These settings appeared to take and when the Camera was attached via that cable I was getting a video image, could change the Zoom level, resolution etc.  When I disconnected the the Ethernet cable, and restarted (powered down & up) the Camera and then tried to access it from a computer on my local WiFi network using either Firefox or IE browsers, I get can't connect errors.

As I also indicated in my post, in a separate attempt, I used the Setup Wizard on my Windows XP Pro under Parallels 3.0 on my Mac and Saved settings, but similarily got "can't connect" when I tried to connect using http://192.168.1.75  When I did this Setup I had the Camera Ethernet cable plugged into an Ethernet port on the Uverse router.

Nowhere in any of these setups is there any mention of "client".
Can you explain how that would be done?
Thanks for any assistance you can provide.  I'm ready to return this unit if someone can't help me make it work.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:43:57 PM by ajheyer »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 02:30:14 PM »

Is your router wireless?

ajheyer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 06:40:49 PM »

It took 2 days to come back with that question!

This is unbelievable!  Have you read my prior posts?  I gave the info about my Uverse Wireless Router way back at the beginning!  (including it's WEP code)

Now I understand why I've come across all the complaints about poor Tech Support from D-link.  There seems to be a 2 day turnaround on reading replies! ...and then a bizarre response asking a question,  the answer to which has been provided in my original post 3+ days ago!  Is someone there just trying to meet some quality measure by sending a response, any response, just to get the monkey off???

As a result of this horrific service I've returned the unit to the vendor for a refund.
You can mark this case closed:  Very dissatisfied Customer!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 06:42:59 PM by ajheyer »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 09:55:01 AM »

This is not technical support...I am not required to respond at all this is up for help from the community I was simply trying to help as I saw your post. It looked as if you where trying to connect the camera Ad hoc to your Mac Book and wanted to know if you have tried it as a client (not Ad hoc) to your wireless router. There is wireless mode there is Infrastructure (client) or Ad hoc on the camera.

Did you try calling technical support at all. What was the result?

ajheyer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 01:13:09 PM »

This is not technical support...I am not required to respond at all this is up for help from the community I was simply trying to help as I saw your post. It looked as if you where trying to connect the camera Ad hoc to your Mac Book and wanted to know if you have tried it as a client (not Ad hoc) to your wireless router. There is wireless mode there is Infrastructure (client) or Ad hoc on the camera.

Did you try calling technical support at all. What was the result?

My apologies to you if I misunderstood your role in all of this.  I thought you were a part of Technical Support.

I tried doing inquiry with Tech Support.  After a day they got back to me with one thing to try.  (Ping the camera).  After I responded with results, I never heard back from them.  Still haven't to this day.
I tried calling in on the 800 number that was offered in the materials with the Camera for 24/7 Tech support, and after jumping through all the "dial 2 for this hoops", etc and being put on hold, I was told support for Wireless Cameras was not at that number but a different 800 number, which when I called, gave recording indicating it was the Corporate Office of D-link at only available M-F "normal business hours".  After all that and poking around in the Knowledge base looking for hints, I discovered the Forum.  I guess you were just trying to be a good guy and help.  So, again, my apologies to you.

I still think D-link support stinks and have returned the Camera for a refund as I don't want to mess with a product that has such poor support, and evidently such inadequate "Wizard" software.

Cheers, aj

PS:  There is no mention in the Owner Manual or the Wizard about choosing a "client" setup.  The only choices in the Wireless setups of the Wizard or Camera Setup are for Infrastructure or Ad Hoc.  I only plugged directly into the Mac in order to access the Camera Setup.  If I tried to access it by plugging it into an Ethernet jack on my Wireless Router (Uverse) I couldn't connect to it.  Don't know if there were some issues with the software on the Router, but couldn't get any one within D-link to work with me to resolve.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 03:06:46 PM »

No problem..I can be a bit rough on a Mac since the Installation wizard application provided cannot be used. On PC you would connect the camera to the router and it would get an IP address from the router then the Installation wizard app on the PC would detect the camera on the network and display its IP address to connect to by clicking Link on the app. Since you cannot run the utility you will need to log into the routers configuration and check the status of device LAN device in the LAN table and see what IP address the router gave it then enter the address into your browser. For wireless setup you would use Infrastructure and connect to your routers wireless SSID then access the camera in the same way using the utility or checking the routers LAN table. 

ajheyer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 07:05:16 PM »

Ok, thanks.
Since i've already returned the Camera I don't need the info, but maybe someone else viewing this thread will be able to use it.
Cheers, aj

Sleazer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 07:47:13 AM »

I have a similar problem. I bought a DCS-920 camera, and I have a DIR-655 router. I am using a Mac. The DLink support provided excellent instructions over the phone which helped me connect the DCS-920 to the router wirelessly even though I'm using a Mac with Mac OS. I was very surprised and grateful. OK, great. So now I can view the camera wirelessly while at home.

This is all well and good to place the camera facing the back door in the house to watch for intruders while I'm in another room. However, I can maybe do better if I get a dog. How exactly do I view the camera when I'm outside the house and at work. I bought the EVOcam software for the Mac, but cannot connect it. I am using a Verizon DSL service. Please any help or should I return the camera like the previous guy? Thanks.

ekummel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 05:19:35 PM »

What are *YOUR* camera settings? If like the other person, you're set to Ad-Hoc, then that's wrong...this will only work if you are trying to communicate between your camera and laptop directly...(no router inbetween)
If you have a wireless router, then the camera needs to be set to Infrastructure mode.

thecatsandi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 05:12:40 PM »

I having difficulty making the wireless connection to this camera.

I'm having trouble making the connection work wirelessly.

Here's settings I'm currently on (although I've tried numerous other
combinations with no luck so far.)

Wireless:
Ad Hoc
Here is the problem. You have an infrastructure network. Not Ad Hoc.
Stop Sending our Money to China one product at a time.

Sleazer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 01:16:47 PM »

OK, thanks very much. Now, how do I change it to an ad-hoc system and not an infrastructure system? Do I need to set up an external IP address at dlinkdns.com or dyndns.com? Do I need to do any port forwarding on my Mac?

CoYoTe

• Level 1 Member
  • Go for it!
    • DS Servicios Informáticos
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 11:43:37 AM »

Guys:

You are confusing the whole thing. Lets me try to explain this better...

AD-HOC: connection between 2 wireless devices DIRECTLY. No router, so the connection can be made only when both devices are in range (depending on the setup and power, usually no more than 50 meters, in home devices). Only 2 devices can be linked using this method.
INFRASTRUCTURE: connection is made via ROUTER or an ACCESS POINT. The routers and access points can handle up to 128 wireless clients (hypothetically) and allow you to establish a local network. Routers can share a Internet connection directly, Access points need extra hardware to do this.

In your implementation ajheyer, you have infrastructure working. So, set up the cam as a client (infrastructure mode, SSID, encryption, etc) and check in the router the client list. You must see the cam in the list. Using its IP address you can access it via web browser (http://[CAM IP]).

To access it via web in another location, you need to set up a DYNDNS (dynamic name service) to access your network from outside. Also need to setup port fowardings in your router (or enable UPNP in both cam and router to allow hardware to do this automatically) and them, you can access to your cam, for example, via http://your.dyndns.name in a browser from outside of your home.

I hope this clarify the things.

Alejandro
Be positive!!! lose an electron!!