• March 18, 2024, 07:29:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Dlink 878 ipdad/iphone unable to join the network erratic connection  (Read 4879 times)

tellme

• Level 1 Member

Hi Forum,
I am struggling to make my brand new 878 work with my gadget.
The router is connected via cat 6 ethernet to my ISP provider ADSL modem-router. Both router's wi-fi are activated - and are about 3 meters apart separated by brick walls.
The Dlink 878 is ethernet connected to my Samsung telly, a couple of IoT devices and wirelessly to 1) Lenenovo PC 2)  Dell PC 3) Android smartphone 4) iPhone 5) iPad.
D-link is configured to separate out 2.5 and 5 Mhz, different SSIDs.
PC was struggling to re-connect to wi-fi until when I changed the SSID factory setting name and separated out 2.5 - 5 MHZ wi fi.
On the other hand iPhone initially connected a day ago but today I get odd error message "Weak security" and then no connection at all. Similar thing with my iPad.
I have to say that I am not happy with this new router - the ISP's router is working very well and it came free with the new bundle.
Any advice how to solve this issue?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Dlink 878 ipdad/iphone unable to join the network erratic connection
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 03:22:09 PM »

Link>Welcome!

• Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?
  • If the ISP modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works. Call the ISP and ask to see if the ISP modem can be bridged.  If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ. Disable ALL WiFi radios on the modem. Also check the routers DHCP IP address maybe conflicting with the ISP modems IP address of 192.168.0.1. Check to see if this is the same on the ISP modem, and if modem can't be bridged, change the DIR router to 192.168.1.1 or .0.254.
    Example of a D-Link router configured for PPPoE with ISP Modem bridged: PPPoE Configuration on a Router

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For DSL or Fiber service lines, ensure that the ISP is using good working phone or cable lines to the DSL modem and that the phone lines are filtered correctly. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. I recommend having the ISP service physically check the lines going from the out side to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.