• March 18, 2024, 11:19:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: WiFi Issues  (Read 6393 times)

CadaverFE

• Level 1 Member
WiFi Issues
« on: January 15, 2021, 08:49:14 PM »

Greetings group.
I really do love this router. But lately (as in, the past couple of weeks) it's been giving us some grief.
Basically it's begun to do that 'every hour at pretty regular intervals it drops for about 5-10 seconds'. Every day at __:04  like clockwork. Now i've seen some internet posts at random places about this issue. But no one seems to solve it directly so i came here since this is the router we have.
At first we thought it was Spectrum. And we also kinda thought it was our location (we're not exactly in the big city USA any more). But again, it's only been doing this the last couple of weeks. But a wifi check of my area shows us being in a good spot. The router is in a decent location in our house. Not too many devices are on it at any given time (usually about 9). And let me stress this - it's only been doing this the last couple of weeks. So i don't believe it's any of those things anyway. A more key point i've checked as well; we haven't made any changes to the routers' actions or specs.
I think. I have suspected the scheduling may be a culprit. I have it set to turn itself off from 0200-0800 every day to stop it from radiating when we don't use it. But it's had this setting as well for quite some time.
In any case, anyone got any solutions or real ideas? Everywhere i've looked doesn't either solve this issue or present a solution i could do that makes sense. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Hardware B1  |   Firmware v2.02
On a related topic, can i upgrade the firmware? Or are upgrades too unstable for this?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: WiFi Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 11:36:49 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?
  • Has a Factory Reset been performed?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Ensure that different SSID names are used between each WiFi 2.4/5Ghz radios. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighbouring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N or AC on 5Ghz?
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. 13 for EU regions. Try channel 48 or 149 on 5Ghz.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • What wireless devices do you have connected?
  • Ensure any devices with WiFi adapter drivers are updated.
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use a WiFi Scanner to find out. How many?

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

ericy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 06:03:20 PM »

Greetings group.
I really do love this router. But lately (as in, the past couple of weeks) it's been giving us some grief.
Basically it's begun to do that 'every hour at pretty regular intervals it drops for about 5-10 seconds'. Every day at __:04  like clockwork. Now i've seen some internet posts at random places about this issue. But no one seems to solve it directly so i came here since this is the router we have.
At first we thought it was Spectrum. And we also kinda thought it was our location (we're not exactly in the big city USA any more). But again, it's only been doing this the last couple of weeks. But a wifi check of my area shows us being in a good spot. The router is in a decent location in our house. Not too many devices are on it at any given time (usually about 9). And let me stress this - it's only been doing this the last couple of weeks. So i don't believe it's any of those things anyway. A more key point i've checked as well; we haven't made any changes to the routers' actions or specs.
I think. I have suspected the scheduling may be a culprit. I have it set to turn itself off from 0200-0800 every day to stop it from radiating when we don't use it. But it's had this setting as well for quite some time.
In any case, anyone got any solutions or real ideas? Everywhere i've looked doesn't either solve this issue or present a solution i could do that makes sense. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Hardware B1  |   Firmware v2.02
On a related topic, can i upgrade the firmware? Or are upgrades too unstable for this?

We have hardware C1, Firmware 3.13, and have the same problem.  Every once in a while, the WiFi just drops off for maybe 10 seconds or so, but I haven't been able to pin it down to any sort of schedule.  We aren't in an area with a lot of WiFi congestion

I am guessing that given the age of the router, that it is unlikely that this will ever be solved, and the only real solution is to replace the router.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 07:21:09 PM »

Has a factory reset been performed since last update?

What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.