• March 28, 2024, 08:01:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wireless not usable between iMac and DIR-655  (Read 9872 times)

3000psi

• Level 1 Member
Re: Wireless not usable between iMac and DIR-655
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 02:33:57 PM »

Very odd, so go back to a very basic config, chose a set channel 1,6 or 11, no security, make is visible, channel with set to 20mhz. Then shutdown all the other computers except the imac and see if it will connect and what happens. Just to be sure it's not fighting with another device for some reason

Tried it.  Did not work.  Well, I am getting a little burned out on this.  All of the reconfiguring is disrupting the other computers.  With the bridge working, it is not critical.  I was hoping it would be something a little more basic.  It just shouldn't be this hard to get a basic function to work.  I will stick with the work arounds for now until I get some more energy or fresh ideas to attack it.

I do appreciate your time NCTony - Have a Happy New Year! 

SS

NCTony

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 07:45:22 AM »

Happy New Year,
I know this can be frustrating. When you upgraded your iMac from Leopard 10.5.x to Snow Leopard 10.6.x, did you do an upgrade or a erase and install of Snow Leopard? Based on all your troubleshooting I would say there are only two logical answers. 1) Some piece of software just has the 11N functionality broken on your mac, or 2) There is a hardware issue with the wireless card in your iMac that shows up with you try to talk 802.11n. Any chance you bought the applecare warranty with your Mac? If so I think it's time to call Apple to see what they say.

On another note, you have allot of devices on your wifi network. If they are all using it just for inet access then no real issue, but if you are pushing allot of files across the network, doing backups, etc, it might be worth your while to break up your network. For example my setup is DSL modem -->DIR-655-->Apple Airport Extreme.  The 655 is my main router, it provides DHCP, firewall, and QOS for my network, along with guest access when we have family in town. He also provides wireless access to my devices that don't need the fastest speeds (iphones, wii, wifi printer), the airport extreme provides 5Ghz 802.11N only access to my two laptops along with my gig ethernet connected NAS. It may sound complex but it's really not and allows me to do network time machine backups and video steaming at maximum throughput. Remember even with your 655 set to do 802.11n and g, it has to broadcast at the lowest common level, so while your 802.11n devices will get better speeds then g they won't see the full potential of n. Again if we are just talking internet access this really doesn't matter (unless you have a 20mb+ inet connection).

Just something to think about in the new year, hope it helps, keep us posted with how the imac troubleshooting goes.

3000psi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 01:30:54 PM »

Happy New Year,
I know this can be frustrating. When you upgraded your iMac from Leopard 10.5.x to Snow Leopard 10.6.x, did you do an upgrade or a erase and install of Snow Leopard? Based on all your troubleshooting I would say there are only two logical answers. 1) Some piece of software just has the 11N functionality broken on your mac, or 2) There is a hardware issue with the wireless card in your iMac that shows up with you try to talk 802.11n. Any chance you bought the applecare warranty with your Mac? If so I think it's time to call Apple to see what they say.

If I set the router to n only and fire up xp on the imac under bootcamp, the connection on the imac is fine.  Looking at the wireless status page on the router I get the highest numbers of any device when running the imac under xp (270).  I am not an expert, but that seemed to eliminate a hardware issue.  Under OSX,  I have had this issue on every version from 10.5.6 on up.

I have had the machine for less than a year but more than 90 days.  I probably should have called apple in the beginning but I have so little tolerance for 99% of support organizations.  After reading countless accounts of what other folks have gone through with related problems, I did not want to waste my time just to be told my router was broken and I should buy an apple router.

On a side note and for the benefit of someone else who might give up with a similar problem, I hooked up the dwa-140 usb adapter to the imac.  Using the ralink driver and client utility the imac runs great on wireless (dlink adapter, not airport).  I like that little client utility it comes with - I need to find a similar one to use with airport.

If I do find the solution, I will post back.  And if I ever get enough posts to generate some good karma, I will send some your way.

SS

NCTony

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 01:54:38 PM »

Crap sorry you did say that, ok so it has to be a software issue on the iMac then, as you have ruled out hardware and the router itself. I would call apple, or if there is an apple store near you setup an appt with the apple genius team. You'll find they have very good support, I have dealt with them in the past and always come away happy. No sending you overseas.

They would know what logs to look at to see what the issue is, I am sure there is one, I know on linux there is, I just don't know where.

Pages: 1 [2]