• March 19, 2024, 04:49:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 122

Author Topic: OT Conversations regarding not much or nothing or something...  (Read 1222149 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: OT Conversations regarding not much or nothing or something...
« Reply #975 on: October 09, 2011, 10:59:57 AM »

I know I removed a few last nite.  :o

"A few.."? Between last night and this morning I removed well over 300. My mouse buttons are worn out.  >:(
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 11:03:26 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

Hard Harry

« Reply #976 on: October 09, 2011, 11:08:59 AM »

Wooot, way to go guys!

Now that you see what a pain it is to remove spammers, any thought into how to prevent them? I think putting a IP ban on the boards from certain parts would do TONS to stop spammers(China, I am looking at you!). Sure they could get around it, but with so many open boards, we wouldn't be a easy target anymore.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #977 on: October 09, 2011, 11:17:40 AM »

Awe, someone send Java a new mouse.  ;D
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #978 on: October 09, 2011, 11:17:47 AM »

Wooot, way to go guys!

Now that you see what a pain it is to remove spammers, any thought into how to prevent them? I think putting a IP ban on the boards from certain parts would do TONS to stop spammers(China, I am looking at you!). Sure they could get around it, but with so many open boards, we wouldn't be a easy target anymore.

I'm thinking of something more along the lines of disabling a user account that posts more than X posts in 10 minutes.  I also know of some commercial sites that preclude spam through preventing posts that have a specific % similarity with existing recently submitted posts by the same user.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #979 on: October 09, 2011, 11:20:28 AM »

The one good thing about spam is that the body text in the posts is always nearly (if not completely) identical, making detection and removal easy.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #980 on: October 09, 2011, 11:21:14 AM »

Ya and make it aware of language UI as well. Been removing spam thats not in EN and is some other language format.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #981 on: October 09, 2011, 11:28:03 AM »

Ya and make it aware of language UI as well. Been removing spam thats not in EN and is some other language format.

Yeah, I presume there are plug-ins for the forum engine that handle this type of filtering.

Hard Harry

« Reply #982 on: October 09, 2011, 11:55:05 AM »

I'm thinking of something more along the lines of disabling a user account that posts more than X posts in 10 minutes.  I also know of some commercial sites that preclude spam through preventing posts that have a specific % similarity with existing recently submitted posts by the same user.

The first suggestion sounds good, and so does the second suggestion, but I think that one would require some commercial software running on the server.

One thing I think would really help you guys is the ability to select all the posts of 1 user in one swoop. Then add a delay of 24hr between posting and having it show up on the forum if its your first post. Last, set up a red flag, like Java said, if that user posts more then a certain amount in that 24hr period. So that way all you have to do is monitor those red flags, bring up the user, delete all his posts in one swoop, and ban him. Saves you a ton of work, and saves us from having to see the spam in the first place. Also, since the spam wouldn't even be on the forum for a second, spammers in general would be less tempted to spam here.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #983 on: October 09, 2011, 12:15:18 PM »

The first suggestion sounds good, and so does the second suggestion, but I think that one would require some commercial software running on the server.

One thing I think would really help you guys is the ability to select all the posts of 1 user in one swoop. Then add a delay of 24hr between posting and having it show up on the forum if its your first post. Last, set up a red flag, like Java said, if that user posts more then a certain amount in that 24hr period. So that way all you have to do is monitor those red flags, bring up the user, delete all his posts in one swoop, and ban him. Saves you a ton of work, and saves us from having to see the spam in the first place. Also, since the spam wouldn't even be on the forum for a second, spammers in general would be less tempted to spam here.

yeah, something has to be done... these attacks cripple the forum and all new "valid" posts are lost or buried in the spam.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #984 on: October 10, 2011, 06:05:02 AM »

It looks like TDK has a new production method that will increase HDD platter density past 8TB: HDD Capacity  ;D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 06:21:40 AM by JavaLawyer »

fraggboy

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #985 on: October 10, 2011, 02:03:25 PM »

The site admin on the forum I moderate on added another antispam measure.

When a potential member creates an account, it checks their IP and blocks all known spam proxy IP addresses.  So far, it's helping me out.  I know it's a pain deleting each and every post (*Most* of the time I can tell that they are there just to spam and don't have a lot of posts to delete).

He also implemented new members not being able to create a signature until they reach an undetermined amount of posts.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #986 on: October 10, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »

. . . He also implemented new members not being able to create a signature until they reach an undetermined amount of posts.

I like the idea of delaying the signature -- that prevents the linking (and higher search engine ranking).

kargo27

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #987 on: October 12, 2011, 07:03:24 AM »

Do any of you guys follow a plant based, whole food diet?  I watched a documentary on Netflix last night called "Forks over Knives" and it was really enlightening.  There is tons of evidence to support a more vegan lifestyle and I think I'm going to try it.

A big misconception they said that "fed" to us (pun sort of intended) was that we can't get all the protein we needed from plant based foods.  They said it's nonsense.  There is actually an Ultimate Fighting Championship athlete who said he does the whole food, plant based diet and has much better recovery after workouts than when he ate animal based protein.  The evidence seems to be overwhelming that people who follow the diet are healthier and tremendously lower their chance of getting cancer, diabetes, and other diseases.

Plus, the government is lobbied by Big Agriculture (beef, chicken) to push their products to our kids and us.  This is nothing new, I mean all you have to do is follow the money and it's pretty obvious. 

The program looked at China, Japan, Indonesia, and other areas of the world that eat a plant based diet and showed the lower levels of heart disease, all types of cancer, etc.  It's really eye-opening.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #988 on: October 12, 2011, 07:12:55 AM »

Do any of you guys follow a plant based, whole food diet?  I watched a documentary on Netflix last night called "Forks over Knives" and it was really enlightening.  There is tons of evidence to support a more vegan lifestyle and I think I'm going to try it.

A big misconception they said that "fed" to us (pun sort of intended) was that we can't get all the protein we needed from plant based foods.  They said it's nonsense.  There is actually an Ultimate Fighting Championship athlete who said he does the whole food, plant based diet and has much better recovery after workouts than when he ate animal based protein.  The evidence seems to be overwhelming that people who follow the diet are healthier and tremendously lower their chance of getting cancer, diabetes, and other diseases.

Plus, the government is lobbied by Big Agriculture (beef, chicken) to push their products to our kids and us.  This is nothing new, I mean all you have to do is follow the money and it's pretty obvious. 

The program looked at China, Japan, Indonesia, and other areas of the world that eat a plant based diet and showed the lower levels of heart disease, all types of cancer, etc.  It's really eye-opening.

One of the prevailing theories behind this dietary approach is that the human body doesn't have to work as hard to process food and extract energy. Since there's less strain on the organs, they last longer and aren't likely to break-down as quickly, resulting in a faster recovery time and longer lifespan. It's like putting cheap oil rather than premium in a car. The engine will last longer if properly cared for.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #989 on: October 12, 2011, 07:20:39 AM »

Furry and I did some house cleaning in the Everybody's D-Link board. Old threads and polls dating back to 2007 are now closed and archived, leaving a clean slate for fresh content.

We created a new thread in Everybody's D-Link -> Software Features called Dlink FORUM Site improvements...What would you like to see improved?. Please visit this new thread and post your thoughts, comments, and ideas on how to improve our community.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Post your thoughts here: Dlink FORUM Site improvements...What would you like to see improved?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 07:28:38 AM by JavaLawyer »
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 122