• April 26, 2024, 02:22:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-855 as AP behind switch, server and ADSL router  (Read 4052 times)

hfrank

• Level 1 Member
DIR-855 as AP behind switch, server and ADSL router
« on: April 20, 2009, 06:44:10 AM »

I want to use my DIR-855 as a WLAN AP only in my little server-based network.
Set-up:
-SBS2008 (Win Server 2008) as AD/DHCP server
-ADSL router from my ISP (can't touch :(
-switch
I configured the DIR-855 according to the manual ("Connect to other router"), and (Vista) clients connect OK, but only locally, not to the server domain, as worked smoothly with my previous AP.
(In fact, clients get strange IP addresses (169.244....), whilst they should get 192.168... Setting a fixed IP address does not help, either.)
Any ideas/solutions/easy instructions most welcome.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 06:58:04 AM by hfrank »

arod

Re: DIR-855 as AP behind switch, server and ADSL router
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 08:35:58 AM »

If your Win 2008 server is handing out DHCP then you need to turn of the DHCP server on the router and put the routers IP in the same scope as your win 2008 DHCP. (By default the routers IP is 192.168.0.1)

hfrank

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:22:52 AM »

Thanks.
I did all the basic stuff (as described in the manual ;): turned off UPnP, DHCP, etc, changed router IP to server's scope. I can access + manage the DIR-855 from the new IP, so that works OK, and clients connect to it with "limited connectivity" (no internet).
What I didn't do was the more fancy stuff like port redirection etc. - out of my depth there.
Also not sure how to config the Internet settings (if at all), tried all suggestions I could find - no luck.
Just to try, I switched back to my old, slow AP - all works like magic.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 08:36:36 PM »

The 169 address you are receiving is a local link address.  The clients are either not associating or not receiving a DHCP address.  They fall back to a local link private address.