• April 26, 2024, 04:21:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-825 for 5gHz wireless HDTV 1080p?  (Read 3693 times)

joebedford

• Level 2 Member
DIR-825 for 5gHz wireless HDTV 1080p?
« on: January 02, 2010, 07:54:37 AM »

When I bought this router I was expecting that I would be able to find devices that would allow me to wirelessly stream video from my PC on the 5gHz band to my 1080p HDMI TV. I've found devices that give part of that functionality but not all.

Basically I'm looking for a device that communicates with my DIR-825 at 5gHz (802.11n) with an HDMI output (1080p) to my TV.

Please point me in the right direction. (or am I expecting too much?)

Cheers, Joe

rickm1350

• Level 2 Member
Re: DIR-825 for 5gHz wireless HDTV 1080p?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 10:42:27 AM »

I'm doing that with the XBox 360. It has HDMI output and does 1080P.  It will stream movies, video, music, and pictures from my Windows home server.  It will stream movies, video, music, pictures, and HDTV from my desktop computer running Windows Media Center.   It will stream movies from NetFlix in HD.  It will play music from Last.FM.  You can download and purchase video and movies in HD from several sources via the XBox.  Then, when you're bored watching all those movies and pictures and listening to all that music, you can use it to play games in 1080P

You say the XBox doesn't do 5 Ghz Wireless?  Ahh, but here's what I did...

I got a Wireless Ethernet Bridge.  The one I got was a Linksys, I think the model is WRT610N.  It is a dual band ethernet bridge.  I have it setup to use the 5 Ghz band, linking to my DIR-825.

The ethernet bridge only has one single ethernet port was to purchase a small 5 port ethernet switch.  The output of the eithernet bridge is connected to the 5 port switch.  I have the XBox360, a desktop computer, a network attached storage drive, and our Dish Network satellite receiver all connected to the ethernet switch.  I have a fixed IP address assigned to the NAS drive, but everything else uses DHCP from the DIR-825.

It works really good.  If I look at the Stats on the DIR-825, there is hardly any dropped packets on the 5 Ghz band vs the computers I have connected to the 2.4 Ghz side.  I would guess it's because of other 2.4 Ghz routers in my area.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 10:45:08 AM by rickm1350 »