• March 28, 2024, 10:50:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How To Get Wi-Fi Working?  (Read 18406 times)

stevec50

• Level 1 Member
How To Get Wi-Fi Working?
« on: July 28, 2014, 07:44:48 AM »

I just picked up 2 DCS-930L "Wi-Fi" cameras but can't find any way to make the Wi-Fi work. I can set it to Ad-Hoc and see that it puts out a signal using Wi-Fi Analyzer on Android but there is no way to set the IP address or even see what it is and scanning for the camera doesn't find it anywhere! My laptop doesn't see it at all either.  It works on the PC with a wired connection but not Wi-Fi  In the settings there is a way to set the network IP address which sets it for Ethernet but not for Wi-Fi and in the Wi-Fi settings there is nothing to set but the SSID and Channel.  What good is a wireless camera that only works over Ethernet?  Anyone found a way to get this working?
Also, when I go to the camera's web page in the web browser it says "Live Video" but I only get a snapshot each time!  What's up with that?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: How To Get Wi-Fi Working?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 05:49:59 AM »

Download the latest version of the DCS-930L Setup Wizard from the following website: mydlink.com/support

Additional resources: Network Cameras - Important Posts & Information
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

stevec50

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 07:14:53 AM »

I've been through that setup several times but it doesn't find the camera. Is there some way to use Telnet or TFTP to access the camera to set it's wi-fi address or at least find out what it is set to?

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 08:12:32 AM »

I've been through that setup several times but it doesn't find the camera. Is there some way to use Telnet or TFTP to access the camera to set it's wi-fi address or at least find out what it is set to?

How can you get to it without knowing is ip address. The answer is no.

But log into your router to find the ip address if one has been assigned.

stevec50

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 08:20:02 AM »

The WRT160n doesn't show any assigned addresses, none that I can find anyway. Besides I have no way to tell if the camera is even communicating with the wireless router.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 08:27:45 AM »

The DCS-930L is set to DHCP by default.  Presuming these are brand new cameras that were never manually configured, the network settings will be set to DHCP. Connect the DCS-930L to your router via Ethernet and the router will pick up the device and list it in the connected devices table.

Referencing your router model from your other thread and reading through the user manual, here's how you can find the IP address of all connected devices:

DMZ > DHCP Client Table

The DHCP Client Table lists computers and other devices that have been assigned IP addresses by the
Router. The list can be sorted by Client Name, Interface, IP Address, MAC Address, and Expired Time (how much time is left for the current IP address).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:42:48 AM by JavaLawyer »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 08:36:43 AM »

Once you reference the IP address, simply enter the IP address into a browser on a PC located on the same LAN as the DCS-930L.  The default username/password combination is "admin", and blank field for password.

stevec50

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 09:36:35 PM »

This is getting stranger and stranger!  The router only lists the camera's Ethernet address, not Wi-Fi.  On the camera webpage it says it can be switched to Ad Hoc for a direct connection to a PC but I have no idea what you could do with it once you did that.  The only settings are the wireless channel and SSID so I tried clicking Ad Hoc, chose a channel number and gave it a name with SSID.  I can see that a Wi-Fi channel started transmitting using Wifi Analyzer on the channel I selected with the name I gave it but I don't know what it's transmitting and my laptop doesn't recognize it.  After a few minutes I noticed the Wi-Fi signal keeps going on and off about every 10 seconds and it wasn't very strong.  Since I have a pair of these worthless cameras I connected the second one and it had a stronger Wi-Fi signal and stayed on longer each time, sometimes up to 20-30 seconds or so. The signal level varies widely however going up and down ever second or two from -55dBm to -30dBm.  The laptop could recognize this as a valid Wi-Fi hotspot so I tried connecting to it to see what I get. I got a weird IP address of 169.254.248.83!  Other than that there doesn't seem to be anything else that can be done with the Wi-Fi, it's totally useless!  I noticed an option set by default for Bonjour, wonder if that can be used for anything?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:46:57 AM by stevec50 »

Kakashi::.

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 07:05:19 PM »

It will help if you stop and start from the beginning. I like to clear some things about this camera. This camera is not:

• an Access Point - so it will not give you an IP address or pass DHCP requests to anything.
  • a Hot Spot or Wi-Fi Extender- so don't expect to get an IP address or use it's connection to get to the network

Please watch the following video to have an idea on how the installation process is completed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0ehRwUsIhU

Items to check:

• Make sure the cameras are RESET to factory before starting the installation - how do I do this
  • Verify that you have the correct Installation Wizard (DCS-930L and DCS-930LB1 are not the same Camera Hardware A1 and Hardware B1 use different Setup Wizard)
  • Make sure you have access to your Wi-Fi credential, manual configuration will require for you to enter this information.
  • If your router support WPS, consider using it to connect your cameras using the Wireless connection, WPS makes it easy, just make sure you are within the covered Wi-Fi area

This should take you less than 5 minutes per camera if you are doing this for the first time, Have fun...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:30:58 AM by Kakashi::. »

stevec50

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 08:33:39 AM »

WPS, seriously?  Nobody uses that anymore because it's such a big security hole!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 09:09:56 AM »

The issues with WPS have been addressed and fixed. However you don't have to use it if you don't want to. It's a setup suggestion is all.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:15:20 AM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

stevec50

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 11:48:20 AM »

The issues with WPS have been addressed and fixed. However you don't have to use it if you don't want to. It's a setup suggestion is all.
Not true unless it's fixed by not using it.  I could use a different router that's not connected to anything else just to check it out I suppose.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 12:02:22 PM »

Let us know what you find out.

Maybe a phone call to phone support will help you get the camera up and running. I presume this is just a setup and configuration issue here is all.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

stevec50

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 07:32:39 AM »

Since the Wi-Fi doesn't have any useful settings I don't think it's even possible to get working!

DoughBoy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 08:10:02 AM »

Since the Wi-Fi doesn't have any useful settings I don't think it's even possible to get working!

What exactly is it that you are looking for to do with these cameras?
I have 3 of these cameras connected to my network using their wireless connections and I have no problems. I setup all of them manually since I don't use their "mydlink.com" services. I do use their JustConnect+ mobile app for remote viewing and that works for me, since I don't care about audio support at this time, but other then that I'm very pleased with them, the price was just right and they worked from the beginning. Let us know, maybe we can offer you some help.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 08:12:17 AM by DoughBoy »
Pages: [1] 2