• March 28, 2024, 06:02:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: File transfer very slow  (Read 3570 times)

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
File transfer very slow
« on: October 18, 2014, 11:38:42 AM »

I have a 323 .. connected via Ethernet router to my PC  (cabled)

At best I get less than 9MB/Second   which on a 100 Meg Ethernet switch is pretty poor.
As a test I was asked top try connecting NAS direct to ADSL Router and PC direct to Router - no difference.

All settings are default.
Welcome any suggestions ... but less than 10 MB/s  is poor

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: File transfer very slow
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 05:13:56 AM »

THINK about this - 9MB/sec works out to just around 100 mbps - which is what you say you're using - what were you expecting?

There are 8 bits to a byte, so your 9MB/sec will mathematically translate to 72 mb/sec, add the overheads of tcp/ip (source address, destination address, checksum) and you'll find you're approaching 90 mb/sec - 90% of theoretical throughput, and you consider that "pretty poor"?

RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 06:56:30 AM »

Fast Ethernet   is 100Mbit/S   or 12.5MB/s

The difference between 9 and 12.5 seems significant ........ it takes Hrs to do file transfers.

Maybe I need to get a GigE box instead.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 08:57:59 AM »

12.5MB/s is theoretical on a perfect network, not a real world figure.

If you want faster you need to have a Gigabit network card in your PC and a Gigabit switch connecting it to your DNS-323.  Oh, and all the cables have to be Cat5e or better. 

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 09:06:06 AM »

Just seem so slow ... Hrs to transfer backup files.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 11:00:29 AM »

If you want faster you need to have a Gigabit network card in your PC and a Gigabit switch connecting it to your DNS-323.
Or, if you do not have any other devices that need to access the NAS, then you can connect it directly to your PC. Run dual NICs, one for the NAS and one for Internet/LAN/etc,
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 03:43:43 AM »

OK .... understand your comments.
Just disappointed that this is so painfully slow, I plug a cheapie USB2 thumb drive in and it flies.
This NAS is the slowest on-line HDD I have ever used, I obviously bought the wrong thing at the time, but that is my fault.
Just having a PC that creates a backup file in minutes but takes 12 Hrs or more to t/f to the NAS is a pain.

The PC's are GigE, maybe I'll try and borrow a GigE router to try ..... cabling is only CAT5 ... but lengths are short.