• March 28, 2024, 10:08:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Combining RAID 1 and JBOD  (Read 11949 times)

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Combining RAID 1 and JBOD
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 10:23:13 AM »

The reason for saying that is to restore the disks to 'as new' condition without any residual formatting to mess something up.

In the old days it was a case of using 'fdisk newmbr'  today we use a rather sophisticated program that runs on most operating systems called DFSee available as a fully working evaluation copy at https://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download.pub/os2/util/disk/dfsee165.zip  it is a program that can do many things with disks and if one is not careful can also do nasty things to disks.

To use install one of your disks in a SATA/USB adapter and plug it into your computer, unzip the dfsee165.zip and select the dir for your OS, double click on the dfsxxx.exe (dfswin.exe for windows).  Go to Edit on the top menu and select 'UI switch to advanced mode' in the drop down (this gives access to all the menu items).  Then select 'Mode=FDISK' from the menu bar and move down to 'Partition-table operations >>'  this will open an additional set of items, you need 'New MBR code, ERASE tables'  again this will open extra items (all the disks the program sees).  MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE CORRECT DISK BECAUSE ONCE YOU SELECT A DISK THE NEW MBR IS APPLIED TO THE SELECTED DISK.

Once you have the new MBR on the disk shut down DFSee and eject the disk.  Repeat with the second disk then insert them into your DNS-323, power it on, make the RAID array plus the extra space.  Restore the data from the backup and you are back in business.

NOTE

If you are using DFSee for the first time take care, lack of care can mess up your computer drives if you select the wrong disk.  If in doubt ask.

Tomcrayfish

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2020, 02:59:56 PM »

Thank you again for explanation, Ivan. I will keep the instructions and let know the result.

Tomcrayfish

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 03:22:33 PM »

Hello Ivan, I am back after a while just to tell you my result. Finally I decided to buy another 2TB WD HDD (WD20EFAX) and replace the old WD 640 GB drive. I made a complete backup of original RAID 1 files. I formatted the WD20EFRX I bought in autumn 2019 and rebuild the RAID 1 with WD20EFAX resulting in 1920 GB free space. Everything worked and I enjoy plenty of free space now.

Thank you again for your help.

BR,
Tomas

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Combining RAID 1 and JBOD (RESOLVED)
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2020, 05:57:08 AM »

Glad you got it working.

Enjoy.  ;)

Hello Ivan, I am back after a while just to tell you my result. Finally I decided to buy another 2TB WD HDD (WD20EFAX) and replace the old WD 640 GB drive. I made a complete backup of original RAID 1 files. I formatted the WD20EFRX I bought in autumn 2019 and rebuild the RAID 1 with WD20EFAX resulting in 1920 GB free space. Everything worked and I enjoy plenty of free space now.

Thank you again for your help.

BR,
Tomas
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Tomcrayfish

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 08:12:28 AM »

Dear Ivan, FurryNutz,

it has been a week I installed new 2TB WD20EFAX harddrive into my DNS-323. I backed up all the data, formatted the new and existing HDDs successfully and created a 2TB RAID 1 volume. I copied back all backed up data. Everything went smoothly, there were no troubles with detecting and formatting EFAX hdd and establishing RAID 1 volume.

However after few days I noticed that I am not able to wake my DNS-323 up? I was even not able to log in the DNS-323. The DNS-323 indication lights were normal in blue color for both HDDs and power LED was dimmed as usual during hibernation mode. I wanted to avoid reseting HDD as I realized I did not have an up-to-date config back up file. So I unplugged the DNS-323 for approx. 5 minutes, plugged in again and switched it on. The DNS-323 started as usual and worked fine for 2-3 days. I let the HDD Hibernation mode enabled with the aim to explore if the issue repeats again.

After 3 days it happened again - the only difference was that blue LED power indication was in full light. I did the same procedure with unplugging/plugging, disabled HDD hibernation mode + made a config file back up.

Now I am waiting for the next issue. If it happens I intend to solve it through reset pin instead od unplugging the unit. Before installing WD20EFAX everything was OK however the DNS-323 was in RAID 1 for just 640 GB combining 1xWD 64 GB and 1xWD20EFRX. So the troubles started after installing WD20EFAX and increasing the RAID 1 to 2 TB.

My question - are there any known similar issues with 2TB HDDs?

Thank you.
Tomas

Tomcrayfish

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2020, 10:52:06 AM »

In the end I DO NOT RECOMMEND to use WD EFAX drives in your DNS-323 if you intend to use them in RAID 1 array. For more info - please see this post:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=75893.0
Pages: 1 [2]