• April 19, 2024, 12:14:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DHCP reservation.  (Read 5266 times)

homer71

• Level 1 Member
DHCP reservation.
« on: December 20, 2009, 07:00:01 PM »

if you make a DHCP reservation is that actualy a static IP or just as good as one?
If this isnt the way to make a static IP how do you do it.

homer71

• Level 1 Member
Re: DHCP reservation.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 02:47:22 PM »

what the f*** kind of fourm is this !!!!!!
I posted this question a week ago

Fremen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 05:20:29 PM »

Well if I'm not mistaken it's labeled BETA so I assumed its not fully functional yet.  Real mature followup post by the way.  DHCP reservation is used to make the router assign the same internal IP to a device connected to the network.  This is important for devices like wireless printers that don't like to deal with random IP's.  Static IP I believe refers to the IP assigned to you by your internet provider.

homer71

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 03:13:28 PM »

Well if I'm not mistaken it's labeled BETA so I assumed its not fully functional yet.  Real mature followup post by the way.  DHCP reservation is used to make the router assign the same internal IP to a device connected to the network.  This is important for devices like wireless printers that don't like to deal with random IP's.  Static IP I believe refers to the IP assigned to you by your internet provider.
Thanks for your compliment on my follow post. ;D  I appreciate some sort of input to my question. 
You can create your own Static IP on any IP connection  your router has. By the sounds of it its an IP reservation in the DHCP realm is very similar.
However, if I own a device that I want to have a static concetion I will set it up for a static IP connection and it will not show up on my DHCP client list.... So It is a different type of connection
Is it better or worse what are the pros and cons.....
Please somebody...... before the end of the month would be great

rfallen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 11:52:54 AM »

Homer71,

Once the IP address is established (static or dynamically assigned (DHCP)) then there is no performance difference.

DHCP reduces user maintenance greatly in networks since the alternative is to always know what static IPs have been issued and ensure that you don't inadvertenly issue duplicates. This was major pain in the early days of TCP.

When the network adapter is powered up or reinitialized there is some initial wait time while the DHCP server is queried and grants a IP address to the adapter. This latency is insignificant and typically only happens when you start your PC.

Regards, Rick

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 12:59:51 PM »

Another reason to use the DHCP Reservation is that the "network" status web pages will list out all "detected" IP address assignments.  By assigning an IP address directly on the device, this "static" IP address will not be listed on the status pages.