• April 15, 2024, 08:57:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Weekly Backup of Volume 1 to Volume 2  (Read 3142 times)

arf1410

• Level 1 Member
Weekly Backup of Volume 1 to Volume 2
« on: April 26, 2010, 09:01:10 PM »

I am attempting to set a weekly backup of my Volume 1 onto Volume 2.  I assume I should select the Incremental box, as I would only need to backup/copy what has changed, but am not clear if the "type" is File or Folder?  Wouldn't Folder copy everything within the folder? but not sure that is happening...

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Weekly Backup of Volume 1 to Volume 2
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 12:00:24 PM »

yeah it will replace the folder and everything in it. File will allow you to select a single file to backup.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

perfectdark

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 09:41:44 AM »

I am attempting to set a weekly backup of my Volume 1 onto Volume 2.  I assume I should select the Incremental box, as I would only need to backup/copy what has changed, but am not clear if the "type" is File or Folder?  Wouldn't Folder copy everything within the folder? but not sure that is happening...

Just remember "incremental" will only backup the changes. so here is an example i noticed.

I have Volume 1 full of content and my kids movies. so i selected incremental backups for family photos and kids movies. Works great but i started to notice larger folder sizes on volume_2 than the source volume_1
Closer look and this is what i noticed.

example
Volume_1 has folder "Finding nemo" with finding nemo.avi and folder.jpg
Volume_1 has folder "photos" and "undeveloped photos" ach contains photos.

Well my wife copies photos from camera to "undeveloped photos" then after uploading them to website, they are eventually movied to "photos"

so on volume_2 (depending on how fast my wife does this) Volume_2 ends up with the same photos in the "undeveloped folder" and in the "photos" folder

same for the movies, if i make a change to the folder structure like this

Moved "finding nemo" folder into a master folder called "annimation"
now Volume_2 has 2 copies of find nemo, 1 in the original "finding nemo folder" and a new one in the "annimation" folder.

With 1000's of folders and files you can see how this adds up quick

just keep this in mind

drmark12pa

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 09:33:26 PM »

I've noticed that backing up a folder on my computer to the DNS323 drives that even with Incremental box checked, I'm getting old files that I've deleted on my computer which still show up in the backup file on the DNS323.  How can files/folders that aren't on the source being backed up to the DNS323 be deleted automatically when a backup is done?

Is there anyway to make sure that the folder on the DNS323 is exactly like the file on my computer that I do a weekly backup of without all the extra files that have previously been deleted (or in many cases I've changed the name so now there are basically 2 files of the same object on my DNS323)