• April 18, 2024, 07:51:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How do I Transfer to Unicode in 1.04?  (Read 4440 times)

DN

• Level 1 Member
How do I Transfer to Unicode in 1.04?
« on: February 08, 2008, 05:16:51 AM »

I have just upgraded to 1.04 without too many bumps. The remaining problem I have is loads of files with Swedish characters in the file names. Those characters does not display correctly in 1.04. Guess I had “Western European” coding on 1.03.

I want to transfer to Unicode with correctly displayed Swedish characters as a result.
I have a JBOD configuration with 2 drives and about 220 GB of data on each. HD1 is the master and HD2 a backup of the HD1 (done each night with “Download Schedules”).

This is my idea for the transfer:
1- Take out HD1 and put HD2 in the slot 1
2- Reset the DNS-323 with the reset button on the back
3- Format the old backup HD2 (now in slot 1)
4- Connect the HD1 (the plain hard disk) to my PC and mount it so that files with Swedish characters display correctly.
5- Transfer all data from HD1 -> PC -> NAS (HD2). Hopefully I now have a new master (HD2) with Unicode format in the NAS.
6- Convert the old master (HD1) to be the new backup: Take out the new master (HD2) > put in HD1 in slot 1 > Format >  Put the HD1 in slot 2 and HD2 in slot 1.
7- Reload the configuration
8- Backup data from the new master (HD2 in slot 1) to the new backup (HD1 in slot 2) by using “Download Schedules”.

Mission accomplished??? Please advise me of any wrong thinking before I try.

Regards, Dan

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: How do I Transfer to Unicode in 1.04?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 09:32:57 AM »

This is a bad idea.  I haven't tried any juggling like this but I sense this may go badly.
non progredi est regredi

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 10:25:25 AM »

This is a bad idea.  I haven't tried any juggling like this but I sense this may go badly.

So.... what would be a 'good' idea to accomplish transfer to Unicode in 1.04?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 04:03:47 PM »

I do not see why you cannot just transfer the data to your PC then format both drives in the DNS-323 using firmware 1.04 to enable the Unicode support then copy the data to the DNS-323. You state that all the data is moved to you PC at one point.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

DN

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 03:40:41 AM »

Thanks for the advice.

I´m a bit scared to do a format and a massive copy back, even though I have a backup (several backups actually) of the data. What do you think of the following non-delete-restore scheme?

1 – Remove the drives and connect them to a Linux PC and run the command: “convmv --notest –r f iso8859-1 –t utf-8 <HDD1/HDD2>” to change the filename character coding to Unicode.
2- Tell the DNS-323 that the file name encoding is Unicode now
3- Put the drives back in the DNS-323

?

And now to the second question regarding step 2: How do I tell the DNS-323 that the file name encoding is Unicode after I changed it?

Regards, Dan