• April 24, 2024, 06:44:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Firmware update - worth it?  (Read 6307 times)

three_jeeps

• Level 2 Member
Firmware update - worth it?
« on: April 14, 2012, 08:04:51 PM »

Been about 10 months since I been at this site.  I read the sticky about the desired firmware features/bug fixes, then I read this: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=40689.0
The intersection of the two  seem to be *almost* the null set.  I can only make two assumptions about why this is the case: 1) Dlink is not listening, 2) Dlink doesn't care.
One comment in the thread caught my eye - the 930L firmware update is most likely EOL'ed because the 932 came out, therefore no more updates??? Really?

So my main purpose for posting, Is the chance of bricking the 930 when updating the firmware *that* real?
The imperceptible performance/reliability gain vs bricking the thing doesn't seem to be worthwhile...comments?

I am happy (well more accurately 'I can live with') v 1.00 that I have and don't want to necessarly risk bricking the device.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Firmware update - worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:02:55 AM »

The DCS-930L and DCS-932L were released at the same time, negating the likelihood that that the DCS-932L will cause DCS-930L EOL. If anything, and IMHO, the DCS-942L will have a greater long term impact on both models as the price gap continues to narrow.

I personally found that the latest firmware updates (for the DCS-932L at least) resulted in increased stability over prior versions, but those are just my empirical observations. One noticeable fix that has benefited users is the correction of the audio clicking referenced by many users since the release of both models.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

jsl262

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 07:53:56 PM »

I have the 932 the audio is terrible. I ordered a Dropcam product and waiting for backorder of this new camera and will probably take a loss and dump 932 on ebay. I'm in the market for a new router always used Linksys. I was considering trying a Dlink router, have deep doubts about the quality of their products. Just my two cents. 

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 06:44:42 AM »

I have the 932 the audio is terrible. I ordered a Dropcam product and waiting for backorder of this new camera and will probably take a loss and dump 932 on ebay. I'm in the market for a new router always used Linksys. I was considering trying a Dlink router, have deep doubts about the quality of their products. Just my two cents.  

The newer firmware corrects the audio static in the DCS-932L. The soon-to-be-released D-Link DIR-857 router has exceptional stability and should work seamlessly with the DCS-932L. This new router will stand up with the best available routers on the market.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:46:25 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC