• March 29, 2024, 05:28:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DNS-323 and Windows 7 Scheduled Backup Problem  (Read 23162 times)

nwuwvu

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 and Windows 7 Scheduled Backup Problem
« on: July 24, 2010, 09:02:56 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I searched for an answer to my problem but I couldn't find one. I just purchase the DNS-323 and have it networked to my two desktop and one notebook computers. The DNS-323 detects all three computers. On my Windows XP desktop and Vista notebook computers I am able to input the URL for the Scheduled Backup folders/files and when I click the Test button it's succesful. Now, when I enter a URL path for a folder/file I want to backup on my Windows 7 desktop computer, the test fails. I called tech support and was passed onto a Level 3 tech and he could not solve the issue. He was using a computer with Windows XP installed and it works on this platform, but not in Windows 7.

Can someone please tell me the URL path (sequence, order, etc.) that I need to input in the URL box on my Windows 7 computer for the Scheduled Backup to properly work??? Or, is it a firewall or security feature in Windows 7 that needs to be changed??

Thanks for your help.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: DNS-323 and Windows 7 Scheduled Backup Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 09:49:33 AM »

The problem is going to be on the Windows7 side - either the permissions or the firewall.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

k3rnelpanic

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 03:32:38 PM »

What verison of Windows 7 are you using? If it is home premium microsoft has removed the ability to backup to the network. You have to be running Pro or higher.

tentimes

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 10:54:49 AM »

If you play about with windows 7 networking you will see that it does things a little differently in terms of sharing. I would say the answer is somewhere in the sharing options or under your homegroup options. Are you sure you have everything, including the 323 on the same domain/group name? I have eigth windows 7 machines here and one linux and I know that, for some reason, I have had to go back and set the domain/workgroup more than once on at least 2 machines. At the time of writing I can't recall exactly what the quirk is I'm afraid, but there is one. Hopefully that will be of some help to you :)

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 05:00:55 AM »

What verison of Windows 7 are you using? If it is home premium microsoft has removed the ability to backup to the network. You have to be running Pro or higher.

If I understand the issue at hand, he's not using Windows7 to backup the data to the DNS-323, he's using the DNS-323 to backup the data from the Windows7 system.

This is not just a matter of semantics - it determines which device initiates the backup, and if I'm right and he is using the scheduled backup feature of the DNS-323, all it needs on the Windows7 side of things is access to the files over the network, so as long as Windows7 allows the files to be shared, and the DNS-323 can access them, it will back them up.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

nwuwvu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 07:33:15 AM »

Thanks for all the replies to my question. Yes, I am using the DNS-323 to backup my data, not Windows 7. I just need Windows 7, somehow, to give permission for the DNS-323 to backup specific files and folders. I double checked and all my computers are on the same workgroup. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium on my desktop, and it is this computer that I cannot backup properly to the DNS-323; however, my Vista Ultimate and Windows XP computers can be backed up by the DNS-323.

I enabled the share features for the specific files and folders that I want to backup to the DNS-323 but the DNS-323 still cannot "see" it. What else should I try??

Thanks for all your help!

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »

In the share properties did you select "Everyone" for at least read access? In Vista you used to be able to turn off password protected sharing too- not sure if that's relevant here. Also make sure file and print sharing is excluded in the firewall rules- or disable the firewall temporarily.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 08:19:54 AM by jamieburchell »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

nwuwvu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 10:17:48 AM »

Yes, I selected to share with "Everyone" for the files and folders that I want the DNS-323 to backup. I made sure the file and print sharing was excluded from the firewall and the test to backup was still unsuccessful. I even turned off the firewall temporarily as suggested and the test still failed.

Is there anything else I can try to resolve this problem?

kdcarver

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 06:58:26 PM »

Yes, I selected to share with "Everyone" for the files and folders that I want the DNS-323 to backup. I made sure the file and print sharing was excluded from the firewall and the test to backup was still unsuccessful. I even turned off the firewall temporarily as suggested and the test still failed.

Is there anything else I can try to resolve this problem?

I'm having similar problems getting Windows 7 Backup and Restore to perform a backup on the DNS-323.  It will recognize the NAS, and start  backup, but it always fails
Suggestions?

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 07:02:48 PM »

Kinda' makes you wonder if you should rethink my advice to move to a better package. :)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

laving

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 08:07:17 PM »

i have W7 Ent and unfortunately backup doesn't work neither way. not w7->NAS nor NAS->W7.
FW 1.09
all devices are in same workgroup and homegroup. as i have pretty green field no passwords required on any device.

Moose_On_Roids

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 03:25:14 PM »

I have the same exact problem as the original poster (nwuwvu) - the DNS fails the URL test with correct user and password log in.  Seems like there was no resolution to this for him/her.

I do have an XP laptop that can map a drive to the Win7 desktop share that I am trying to schedule a backup with the DNS.  The user/password used to make this connection on the XP is failing on the DNS url test.  I even tried "WIN7-DESKTOP-COMPUTERNAME\USERNAME" in the user field on the DNS, and that did not work.

The DNS-323 can pass the URL test with my XP laptop shared folder, so I know my DNS does not have an inherit problem with scheduling a backup.

So it seems the problem is not the Win7 desktop as I can map it successfully with the XP.  But then again the DNS seems ok too because it works on the XP.  This is very strange.  Anyone else have this problem or fix?

lookingforinfo

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 06:28:12 PM »

You do not say what software you are using on the Windows 7 machine, but I have been able to use Norton 360 to run scheduled backups on my wife's Win 7 machine.  Using the "Map Network Drive" option I created a drive N: and mapped it using the notation \\dlink-nas1\Volume_1\directory_name.  (dlink-nas1 is the name I assigned to our DNS-323.)  Within Norton 360 I specified N: as the backup location destination.  It seems to work based on the dates associated with the files created on the DNS-323.  Hope this helps.    

Moose_On_Roids

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 09:41:20 AM »

I am trying to do the reverse, like the original poster.  I am trying to use the DNS "Download Scheduler" to backup folders on my Win7 desktop.  I can not pass the URL test in the DNS scheduler application.

I am trying to use the DNS scheduler to see if it is quicker than trying to backup Win7 to DNS.  I've tried backing up (mirror copy folders) Win7 to DNS using several programs, but I had experienced exponential slow down in transfer rate (see related link   http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=21216.0).

I know the Win7 desktop is configured correctly for sharing, as my XP laptop is mapped to the folders I am trying to backup to the DNS.  I can also get the DNS to pass the URL test for a folder on my XP laptop.  So everything seems to work fine together except DNS access to Win7. 

To recap... ::)
Win7 --> DNS = OK
Win7 --> XP = OK
XP  --> DNS OK
XP --> Win7 OK
DNS --> XP = OK
DNS -- Win7 = FAIL to connect

n5btr

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 02:44:10 AM »

So has anyone made progress with this.
Scheduled task work fine to XP or Vista but not to any W7 boxes of mine.
Sharing is properly configured on the W7 boxes
DNS-323 Firmware is 1.10
Thanks
Pages: [1] 2 3