• April 23, 2024, 12:04:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Dependable  (Read 3318 times)

dennisoates

• Level 1 Member
Dependable
« on: August 11, 2012, 04:43:01 AM »

Do you think this 930 L is dependable enought to monitor my vacation home for 5 months? Can I remotely boot this camera. What router would be suggested for long unattended use?
thanks in advance!

acellier

• Level 4 Member
Re: Dependable
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »

Some of us have been using the cameras for many months (albeit with interruptions for firmware upgrade, relocation, or other maintenance) without incident.
    And some have employed a household electrical timer to turn them off then on again daily - which is the only known way to cause the reboot to happen. No apparent effect on the reliability, here. I used the timer for many months; but since moving the camera several weeks ago, left that out.
    These D-Links seem to keep working (I bought, but returned, another brand exactly because it NEEDED rebooting with random freezes).
    I'm thinking of instructing a neighbor to click my main breaker if it ever stops when I'm travelling.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Dependable
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 06:37:46 AM »

Expanding on acellier's comments, I've found that the make/model router impacts the IP camera network stability. After upgrading to a D-Link DIR-857 router ealier this year, intermittent DCS-932L network dropouts stopped, and the camera has operated fwithout interuption or dropout for five concurrent months and running.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC