• April 26, 2024, 12:03:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DSM-520 and DNS-323 Picture Problem  (Read 5330 times)

jtrevill

• Level 2 Member
DSM-520 and DNS-323 Picture Problem
« on: January 24, 2008, 11:05:30 PM »

I've been running the DSM-520 for sometime now using the Dlink software on a computer that runs 24/7.  In an effort to not have a computer running non stop, I've attempted to start using the DNS-323 today.  However, I've had limited success.  I can play videos and music without any significant problems to speak of.  However, when i attempt to view photos, it all goes downhill!  As soon as I browse into a folder that contains pictures, I can see the network activity light going crazy.  I'm using thumbnails, however, none of them show up - instead they are all a black box. 

At this point I've had a couple of different outcomes.  The unit appears to lock up, but if I wait long enough it will eventually will respond to attempts to move to another pictures.  However, most times it just goes to a distorted screen that is green in color.  Once this happens I have to physically hold the power button down for it to restart.  All connections to music that may be playing are lost at this point.

The computer with the dlink software is still running side by side, and I can select that server and view these exact same photos without any issue. 

Any suggestions?  The DNS-323 has the current firmware running and the DSM-520 is up to date as well (1.05)

jtrevill

• Level 2 Member
Re: DSM-520 and DNS-323 Picture Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:08:39 PM »

Sorry - just an update to my problem:

I switched from thumbnails to list - and get a different result.  Instead of locking up, it goes to a blank screen as if it is going to open the picture, but instead gives the error "Unable to open the file".  From this point on, any attempts to access folders will give a "Unable to access this folder" error and the unit has to be restarted...

Thanks again!

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 04:01:51 PM »

Are these photo's created from a high resolution digital camera?

Please try out the new firmware 1.04 available on the DNS-323 support website.

http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DNS%2D323
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

jtrevill

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 11:46:34 AM »

I tried the updated firmware and there is no change.  yes, the pictures are from a digital camera, however, if I use the dlink software rather than the DNS323 it works fine.  The problem only occurs when using the DNS323.

mattbell

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 07:05:38 AM »

I had a similar issue using a Playstation 3 as the media player.  I suspect the server chokes when you have a large amount of pix in the database.  I will have to try changing the UPNP directory to a small one and seeing if there is a difference.

anderson201

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 03:02:56 PM »

Same issue here started another post under the DSM-520 before looking here. I see we have no answer for this issue yet. After you freeze up do you loose access to your music and video folders as well?

Using 1.05 on DSM
Using 1.04 on DNS