• April 18, 2024, 07:06:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Installing DSL-320B & DIR-855 together  (Read 13464 times)

nrms

• Level 2 Member
Installing DSL-320B & DIR-855 together
« on: December 05, 2008, 08:05:05 AM »

Well I should probably have known better and quit while I was ahead, but...

Wanting to use the "Internet" port and the DHCP server on the DIR-855, I decided to replace my Vigor 2600 router and buy a DSL-320 dsl broadband modem and link it to the DIR-855, thus freeing up a LAN socket and hopefully making better use of the feature-set of the DIR-855, compared to my aging Vigor.

1. I set up the DSL-320 first - and successfuly got it logged into my ISP and was able to browse the Internet on the PC connected to the LAN port. 

2. Following instructions of p.10 of the DIR-855 manual to "Connect to a Cable/DSL modem", I linked the LAN port of the DSL-320 to the "Internet" port of the DIR-855 and linked a LAN port of the DIR-855 to a PC.  Ran the Connection Wizard on the CD, it detected an Internet link.  Prompted to enter all the ISP settings for a static IP connection (puzzled why it can't read these from the DSL-320); the wizard attempts to save and connect to the Internet. After a long pause it says "there is a problem" and cannot connect to the Internet.

So again I ask, what is the proper way to connect up these two boxes and get them working together?

I notice the DSL-320 has also got a DHCP server - should this be disabled?

Thanks
NigelS

RussellM

• Level 2 Member
    • D-Link Technical Support
Re: Installing DSL-320B & DIR-855 together
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 07:33:03 AM »

nrms,

Are you referring to the DSL-2320B? If so, then I would go ahead and bridge the modem and use the DSL PPPoE login inside the router. What you need to do is login to the modem @ 192.168.1.1. Click the Home tab on top, then WAN on the left. Create a policy here and select Bridging instead of PPP over ethernet.

After the modem has been bridged, go ahead and use the CD again and select PPPoE and type your DSL username/password. -Or- login to the router @ 192.168.0.1. Select the "Manual Internet Connection Setup" option. Select PPPoE and type your username/password. Power cycle the modem and router and this should allow you to get online.

-Russ

nrms

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 03:45:06 AM »

No I am trying to set up a DSL-320 (I am in the UK).

The dLink UK support sent me this:

---------------------------------------------------------
-1. Connect your modemr to the pc with a ethernet cable.
-2. Open internet explorer.....> Type in 192.168.1.1.....>It will open the configuration page for your DSL-320
-3. Click on SETUP...> ADSL SETUP
-4. CLick on PPPoE/PPPoA
-5. Enter the username and password provided by ISP
-6. Contact your ISP for the VPI,VCI, connection type.
-7. After entering all the values click on APPLY SETTING and than click on REBOOT on the left hand side.
-8. After the reboot connect your pc directly to the modem and check whether you are able to access internet.
-9. If internet works directly from the modem than connect your router to the modem. Connect the router from the WAN port to the LAN port of the router and connect your pc to the lan port of the router.
-10. Powercycle the router as well as the modem simultaneously i.e remove the power cord from the router as well as from the modem and plug it back.
-11. Check for internet access.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't need points 1. - 8. as I perfectly easily got the DSL MODEM online to my ISP and Internet connectivity on the ONE attached PC.

However, I queried what they mean't in 9. and so far they do nothing but resent this damn script. Instruction 9. says: "Connect the router from the WAN port to the LAN port of the router and connect your pc to the lan port of the router."  Do they actually mean: "Connect the router from the WAN port (of the router) to the LAN port of the DSL MODEM and connect your pc to the lan port of the router." ?? Because the script as it was send doesn't make sense to me as it is ambiguous.

Assuming they do mean this, then I connected the WAN/Internet port of the DIR-855 to the LAN (the only ethernet port) of the DSL-320 and rebooted both boxes. At this point there is NO internet connectivity for any of the PC's attached to the LAN ports of the DIR-855.  (And when I then ran the Internet Wizard on the DIR-855 it said "there is a problem trying to connect to the internet".

NigelS

nrms

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 02:41:26 AM »

@RussellM

Ok, so you don't want to wade through what I wrote. Here is the result of following your recipe:

I setup the modem in Bridge mode. We do not support PPPoE in the UK. My ISP supplied me with a static IP address, so in your instructions where you said run the Router CD and login via PPPoE I actually used Static IP and entered all the ISP WAN settings.  Strangely, I wasn't asked for a login name/password. After power cycling both modem & router; I waited for the CD "We are now checking your Internet Connection status...pleas wait".  Followed by "A problem occurred when trying to access the Internet .. bla blah blah."  What a surprise.

No further on then.....

NigelS

nrms

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 03:50:09 AM »

Also, while I'm at it, I'd quite like to know why my DIR-855, in the Internet Setup Wizard has a drop-down list of presets for ISP's ALL OF WHICH ARE USA-BASED??  This is despite the fact that my DIR-855 was purchased legally in the UK and is running Firmware Version: 1.11EU.

My DSL Modem (DSL-320B) has got all UK-Based ISP providers in it's corresponding Internet Setup Wizard including Zen Internet (my ISP).

It seems to me this might be pertinent as to why I am having so much difficulty getting the DSL-320B and the DIR-855 working together.  RussellM told me to set the DSL modem in bridge mode and setup a PPPoE login on my DIR-855; but hardly any UK ISP's use PPPoE.

Using the built-in ISP profile for Zen Internet on my DSL-320B modem; it connects successfully with a connection type: PPPoA VC-Mux; and yet that connection type is NOT AVAILABLE from within the DIR-855 router Manual Internet Settings.

NigelS

Azuse

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 11:34:46 AM »

PPPoE stands for Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet, unless you did something horribly wrong that cable going from your modem to your router is an Ethernet cable which is why you're using it on the router as opposed to PPPoA on the modem which is attached to your isp. As for the discrepancy of isp on the 855, well it's most likely an oversight, you see the actual hardware is identical across the globe but firmware differs for the local broadcasting laws, Japan has 20 channels, UK 11 and US 6 (or something like that). Also for what it's worth, unless you really don't know what you're doing it's simplest avoiding the wizards, they cause more problems than they solve and the 855 has more than one glitch in it.

First is the firmware up to date? If it is resetting the modem and beginning again is the easiest route, but plug the Ethernet line from your pc into it and log in manually and put the setting you need in, reboot and see if you can get a connection. If you do change it to bridged making sure to disable everything else (DHCP server, QOS etc.) and reboot.

Now plug it into the router, connect your pc to the router, manual internet set-up and chose PPPoE and put the settings in, make sure the router is acting as the DHCP server, and it should work. If it's not then it's possible your isp is one of those that locks the line to the MAC address of the first machine (or router) in which case you'll need to clone your pcs address or that rotuer/modem you were using previously.

The one real advantage of the using the crappy modems isp hand out is that everything's pre-set and all you need to do it press the bridge button  :'(

bananaman

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 05:16:03 PM »

PPoA authentication has to be handled by your modem, since the DIR-855 does not do it.

Since your PC worked fine with just the modem, I recommend starting there. Try disabling DHCP on the modem, setting it to bridge mode, and manually fixing the DIR-855 to your fixed IP address (don't use the wizard).

I'm sorry I don't have this setup here to give you exact instructions. Maybe someone who does can chime in?

PPoE is ubiquitous in the US, hence all the advice about it. PPoA, found widely in other parts of the world,  is different.

mpartridge

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 05:13:50 PM »

Hi,

Just purchased a DSL-320B and DIR-855 to get a home network up and running over a BT Internet DSL link.  Experiencing the same problem, tried the quick start CD's and the browser set up wizard with no success.  PC through the 320b works fine just not able to get the 855 working.
Used the cables supplied and and based on browser status CABLE CONNECTED belive its not a connection problem.  The *%% indicated no network connection, cam anyone help.

Thanks

Mark.

arod

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 08:56:25 AM »

Put your modem in bridge mode.

drizzt

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 09:25:48 PM »

Yup Bridgemode is the baby
Try following this
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dir_products/dir-655/BeThere_config.pdf
Youll have to adjust the VCI etc to what your ISP requires but its worked for me