• April 24, 2024, 11:59:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-343 Powers Off  (Read 4961 times)

dannobot

• Level 1 Member
DNS-343 Powers Off
« on: November 02, 2009, 08:52:35 PM »

I have a DNS-343 (fw 1.03 official applied twice) with 4x1.5TB WD drives.  It would appear that the 343 will just power off intermittently.  Sometimes during file copies and other time when it's doing nothing at all.  The unit does not show anything in the device log (upon restart), it just powers off.  Is there some type of temperature cut-off or something?  It is located in another part of my space, and I cannot see it or hear it (like fan speed).  The temperature is ~44C during regular operation.

Any idea what might be happening?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: DNS-343 Powers Off
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 09:16:38 AM »

The device may be overheating and turning off. Do you have email alerts setup on the unit?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 05:58:53 PM »

Either that or the Power Supply (PSU) unit is failing.

dannobot

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 08:35:14 PM »

Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate your help immensely.

No to the email alerts, but I'm attempting to set that up now.  As for the overheating, the reason I purchased this unit in the first place, was that there was some ventilation available from the on-board fans.  It is stored in a cool room and I have been pushing the unit for almost 24 hours copying a large amount of data to it and the temperature is only 111F/44C (not much higher than normal really).  As per hiaireg's response, I might be having issues with the power supply, as it gets quite hot.  Problem is this unit is not right here, so I don't know (always) when the problem arises.  Is there a temperature trigger that would shut it down?  Would the email alerts help (since there is nothing in the available logs).  Can this unit be setup to generate syslog messages?
Thanks again....

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 06:12:07 AM »

The email alerting contains an option to shut the unit down once it reaches a certain temperature.  From the values you posted, I suspect that isn't the issue.  BTW, the bottom front of the unit has an air intake slot - ensure that nothing is blocking it; I have my units on a shelf with the front 1/2" over the edge of the shelf to allow sufficient draw.

You can confirm that it is (or is not) the PSU by allowing sufficient airflow around the PSU such as temporarily placing the PSU on a wire-mesh shelf such as a stationary mesh stackable basket, mini-metal shoe rack with legs cut down - or temporarily tie-wrap the cords on either side of the PSU so that the PSU is suspended.

Lastly, it's possible that you may be experiencing momentary power interruptions.  A quick way to rule this out would be to temporarily connect the PSU to a UPS.

HTH,

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:17:16 AM by hilaireg »

dannobot

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 12:21:39 PM »

Thanks Haliareg,

The unit is on a UPS and it is not reporting any drops in voltage.  I have cleared the intake as you suggested (it wasn't blocked but you never know) and I'll continue to monitor.
Further food for thought, to get the unit back on I have to power it up.  Then the Status screen shows a Sync Time Remaining of more than 1000 minutes (since it's RAID 5) and no file copies can be performed during that time as it's just too slow.  I guess it's one thing to lose the unit and but then waiting another 15 or so hours for it to be useable just makes this whole investment seem like a complete loss.  Just venting
Thanks again

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 06:58:16 PM »

I suspect you either have a bad HDD or one of the backplane connectors is faulty.

The easiest to troubleshoot is the HDD; backup the data off the unit and check each HDD using the manufacturer diagnostic tools.  I ran into a similar issue with a brand new 1TB Seagate HDD when I first purchased my two DNS-343's.

On unit #1, one of the HDD's was actually defective and causing the unit to hard power down.  I ran the Seatools on each HDD and discovered that the HDD in the 3rd slot was defective.

On unit #2, the backplane connector on slot four was faulty and inserting an HDD in the slot would cause the unit to either lock up (no network access) or crash intermittently which required a subsequent on/off to turn back on.

HTH,
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 09:13:15 AM by hilaireg »