The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DGL-4500

Xbox Live Connection Problem

<< < (2/2)

FurryNutz:
I would leave UPNP enabled. Are you getting a public IP address on the WAN side of the router? I have seen this issue with DSL modems that have an additional router included. These give off a 192.168.#.# number. This has an adverse effect on consoles signing in to gaming servers. However if your on cable, this seems odd if it was. Check the Device Info section and look in the WAN section. You should see a IP address in the following format: ##.##.###.###, the first 2 numbers will be 2 characters and not 3 like 192. If it's 192, then ur cable modem is giving a private address and not a public. This is just a check though.

I would remove the 4500 from the network and connect up to the cable modem directly to the console and just check to see if you sign on there. You probably will. Let us know.

After testing the modem with xbox, I would do the following, remove all connected devices from the router, and connect one PC and the xbox. Reconnect the cable modem. Turn on cable modem first, then router, then pc. Leave off the xbox. If you've saved off your confi file for the router, kewl, if not, save it using IE or FF.
Do a factory reset on the router and let it wipe everything. Test the internet connection with the PC. Then turn on the xbox and check sign in ability. You should be able to at least sign in using default settings, however you might have to turn off Dynamic Fragmentation and check again. If you seem to get signed on after the factory reset. I would go in and assign static IP for the xbox. Let the change set up and power off and back on the xbox and check again to sign in ability. If good, go in and set up gamefuel for that IP using the sticky info. Turn off and back on the xbox and check again for sign in ability, you should be good here. If so, complete the other Gamefuel stick info listed. Don't use the Gaming section. Thats being edited.

You shouldn't have to use DMZ to get the xbox to sign on. Most of us on here don't and the ones I've helped set up don't. SPI settings I use and others as well are working as listed in the sticky.

Let me know how this goes. You can send me your config file if you are will and I can take a look at it for you on my 4500 and see if I see anything out of the ordinary.

j.reyes093:
Thanks for the quick response again.

I checked what you stated and I believe the ip is public, its format is: ##.###.##.## which is different than yours, but I believe still public (##.###.##.##)

I ran into a problem, however, when I checked the modem-it would not assign the 360 an IP address, even after reseting the modem. It works when directly connected to a pc, but not the 360.

on the modem events page this was logged at the time of the 360 connecting:
 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

I'm not sure what this means, or if I'm simply doing something wrong. Here's what I did
1. Turned off the power strip where the router and modem are plugged into
2. Took out the batter of the modem
3. Plugged the 360 ethernet into the modem
4. Turned everything on again
5. Tested connection, failed
6. Rebooted 360 and tested again, failed
7. Rebooted Modem again, failed

I'm also going to take you up on sending the config file, if you could check it that would be fantastic. thanks again.

FurryNutz:
If your xbox is not being give a IP address, make sure that Automatic is set up in the Xbox network settings. If so, then something could be wrong with the xbox. If you can connect your PC directly to the cable modem and get an IP address and internet and the xbox can't, something wrong possible with the xbox. It should be able to get an IP address directly from the cable modem and sign in. Now were finding other things, Hmm. Let us know. Hope you have a great weekend.

j.reyes093:
Thanks again.

I' m still unable to get a connection via my modem.  It is set automatic on all settings.  I also attempted to use my PC's mac address as the alternate address without success and the same error.

However, I noticed under automatic settings that it does list an ip and subnet mask.  The only thing missing is the gateway which is 0.0.0.0.  The DNS servers are also blank.  I know the modem is DHCP so the  IP is going to change, but should I try setting everything as manual and using the IP and subnet given under automatic, and then manually enter the gateway?  And the DNS servers should still be the same as comcast's servers correct?  At least then I could see if the modem works at all with the 360.  Are you sure it most likely is a 360 problem and not a modem problem?  I just have never heard of a 360 error like this. 

FurryNutz:

--- Quote from: j.reyes093 on March 06, 2010, 10:15:46 PM ---Thanks again.

I' m still unable to get a connection via my modem.  It is set automatic on all settings.  I also attempted to use my PC's mac address as the alternate address without success and the same error.

However, I noticed under automatic settings that it does list an ip and subnet mask.  The only thing missing is the gateway which is 0.0.0.0.  The DNS servers are also blank.  I know the modem is DHCP so the  IP is going to change, but should I try setting everything as manual and using the IP and subnet given under automatic, and then manually enter the gateway?  And the DNS servers should still be the same as comcast's servers correct?  At least then I could see if the modem works at all with the 360.  Are you sure it most likely is a 360 problem and not a modem problem?  I just have never heard of a 360 error like this.  

--- End quote ---

You could try the manual settings in the xbox when directly connected to the cable modem, however both modem and router should have the ability to automatically hand out and acquire an IP address and the xbox should be able to automatically obtain all the required info to connect to XBL. If the xbox is set up for automatic, it should get the information from the cable modem correctly and fill in what it needs. It could be that your cable modem isn't giving this automatically too. It should be giving a 2 character IP address to any device connected along with DNS and Gateway info. If that's not happening then I would call the Cable company and get some tech support. Have them help you ensure there cable modem is working well, then have them help you check the WAN settings while the 4500 router is connected as well. You should be seeing the WAN side IP address, DNS and Gateway addresses. Once this is done, make sure the DNS addresses are filled in correctly in the Internet/Manual side as well. The should be the same as the WAN.

I checked your config file against mine, not seeing much differences. Your GameFuel is setup correctly. Only thing I would do is turn on Anti-Spoof Checking in Firewall, disable short GI in Advanced Wireless, disable WISH and WiFi Protected Setup in Advanced if your not using them.

When I get the network to myself, I'll test your config file/my 4500 on my cable modem and network system here, will just make sure my xbox is set up for your IP address you assigned.

Let me know how this goes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version