• April 26, 2024, 02:57:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Drops with no indications?  (Read 7354 times)

nate51

• Level 1 Member
Drops with no indications?
« on: February 20, 2013, 05:04:54 PM »

I have had my DIR-601 for I think about 2 years now, it was a fine router with very little to no troubles. But recently it has been acting up and I am not sure if it's the router or a setting in the router.

I disconnected the router and took it to my other residence which uses cable so I changed some settings to go from DSL to cable. I found my laptop got kicked off 2 times or so, but I was not sure if it was my PS3 doing it as when it connected the laptop would get the boot, when I shut down the PS3 the router laptop would get the boot again. But each time it reconnects on it's own very quickly.

I brought the router back and reset to factory defaults and set up my DSL manually. Now I find people on Skype/MSN telling me I keep signing back online every 5 minutes or so, when I am in my FTP software (FileZilla) I can transfer fine and all but if I leave the software for around 5 minutes when I go back it still transfers files but when I try to jump back a directory it sits on "CDUP" for about 10 seconds then tells me "Disconnected from server: ECONNABORTED - Connection aborted, Failed to retrieve directory listing" then I have to double click the directory again and I see my FTP software reconnects to the server, then proceeds to the directory.

It's almost like the router goes into sleep mode or something, but I never get notified the internet has been disconnected or anything, all software seems to be connected but others and some actions say otherwise.

My router is a Hardware version A1
- running firmware 1.02NA
- Advanced DNS off
- Reconnect mode: always on
- PPPoE (I use 3Web which is now Distributel DSL, uses Bell phone lines)
- Enable DNS Relay ON
- Enable DHCP server
- Always broadcast (DHCP Server settings)
- Qos Enabled

And I seem to get a lot of these in my log details
"Blocked incoming TCP Ack packet from 192.168.0.10 0:59562 to 173.201.146.128:21 with unexpected sequence"
"UDHCPD Received a SIGUSR1"

Is it time for a new router?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Drops with no indications?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 05:41:43 PM »

Link>Welcome!
What region are you located?
Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?
Has a Factory Reset been performed?

What ISP Modem make and model do you have?
Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask.

Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.
Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options. Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.

Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.

Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall.
Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules.

Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP server feature. Tools/Time.

Link>Wireless Installation Considerations
What wireless modes are you using? Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N?
Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
Try setting a manual channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto.
What wireless devices do you have connected?
Any cordless house phones?
Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?

Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
Try turning off Short GI, WLAN Partition,and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.
Enable WMM Enable Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

nate51

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:45:19 PM »

Link>Welcome!
What region are you located?
Ontario, Mississauga, Canada
Are you wired or wireless connected to the router?
Both but I am testing wired
Has a Factory Reset been performed?
Yes I mentioned in the first post

What ISP Modem make and model do you have?
ISP is mentioned above (3Web, now Distributel), Modem is Siemens SpeedStream 4200 DSL
Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask.
MTU is set to 1492

I tried all the recommendations wired directly to the router. The modem runs fine both on direct and on another DLink router. The issue seems to only be with this particular router.

Nothing has changed with any variables like new internet, modem, wireless phones etc. I think I am just going to save myself the time and buy a new router. Not sure why this one suddenly wants to be stubborn when the settings are all the same as they were before, but what can you do. You get what you pay for I guess.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 01:47:07 PM »

Ok, Ya, I have had the Rev A version as well and was not really impressed with it. Someone sent me the Rev B to test out and it's ok. I think it does well for a single user home or business with only doing general surfing and such. Gaming is good on if your only using 1 gaming console at a time. We tried 2 and since this model router does not have any customizable QoS rules to set up, we could not get OPEN NAT status on one of the consoles. Having customizable QoS helps with more than 1 gaming console.

Not sure what your specific needs are for wireless and price range. If your wanting to future proof some, I just got the 826L in house. Seems pretty good so far. Dual WiFi and cloud abilities. I'm on Cable so I don't know how it does on DSL. I presume it would be better than the 601.  ;) There is a 2.4Ghz only model, DIR-636L.

If your not interested in any 5Ghz radio or Cloud, may i suggest the DIR-645, 655 or 657 routers. I have all of these and are great routers.

Let us know if you have any more questions or comments about your specific needs. Let us know what you decide to go with. If you do go with a different router, you possible could turn the 601 into a wired AP.  ;)

Good Luck
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.