• March 29, 2024, 08:05:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Media server - cannot see files on PS3 if directory structure 4+ folders deep  (Read 5026 times)

roflcopter666

• Level 2 Member

Fired up the PS3 to see if anything had changed with new updates.

Still have an issue where if my media on DNS 343 is in a folder from root of

media\music\my music\album that the PS3 will show "no files found"

I have tried refreshing server etc - same issue.

Is there a limit or preferred directory structure to get the media server working properly?  I had given up on it and just use a pc to read straight off the mapped drive.

Is there a set of guilines for the media server?  Ie I had previously had issues with certain meta data in an MP3 causing NAS to lock up.  I am looking for

- suggetsed directory structure
- suggested filename lengths

etc

Smyle1

• Level 1 Member

Roflcopter666,

I have my setup where I copied my itunes folder to my DNS-343 with mirroring. I too am using the PS3 (with firmware 3.10) and DNS-343 FW 1.03 with no issue for music. One thing I can tell you is it takes a bit long finding the directories.

Other than that, no issue. I would try putting a file at the root of the share and see if you can see it. I assume you are trying to play an MP3?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member

Fired up the PS3 to see if anything had changed with new updates.

Still have an issue where if my media on DNS 343 is in a folder from root of

media\music\my music\album that the PS3 will show "no files found"

I have tried refreshing server etc - same issue.

Is there a limit or preferred directory structure to get the media server working properly?  I had given up on it and just use a pc to read straight off the mapped drive.

Is there a set of guilines for the media server?  Ie I had previously had issues with certain meta data in an MP3 causing NAS to lock up.  I am looking for

- suggetsed directory structure
- suggested filename lengths

etc

Have you tried changing the structure and had different results?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

roflcopter666

• Level 2 Member

Seems to work better if files are in the same directory or maybe 2 directories deep.

It is weird because sometimes, some files that are several directories in will play, but then next time turn on PS3, it will see directory, but play no files.  In the past, manually refreshing the media server would force it to work, but it is hit and miss.

Needs specific testing criteria to try and find trends - as mentioned earlier, I gave up on it and just read files straight off mapped drive instead.