• March 28, 2024, 10:10:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Losing WAN connection regularly - DNS Problem  (Read 7967 times)

icebiker

Losing WAN connection regularly - DNS Problem
« on: December 26, 2009, 08:00:53 PM »

Hi,

I've got some sort of DNS problem that is defeating me.

Equipment:

ISP - Uniserve.com
Modem - Zoom ADSL 5651A (DHCP connection)
Router - DIR-825
Switch - DLink DGS-1024D gigabyte switch
4 Desktops, 3 laptops, Xbox, Wii, network printer, Blackberry, etc.

Everything was working well for a couple months when, for reasons that ISP support can't explain, the modem no longer supports a bridge connection. I now have a DHCP connection between the modem and the router.

Now, we frequently lose internet connectivity. The browser will report "Server not found" or "The connection has timed out". All computers can't connect, and there is no connectivity for around 5 minutes. We can then run for an hour or two until we lose connectivity again.

However, during these "outages", I can successfully ping numeric IP addresses (google, yahoo, etc.). This suggests to me that I'm losing the connection to the DNS server.

I've experimented with:
- trying opendns instead of the ISPs DNS, still have the problem
- experimented with changing WAN speed connection to fixed 100mps, no change
- swapped in my old DI-624 router, still have the problem (perhaps less frequently)
- Took the router out, and connected the modem directly to the switch. We had 4 hours of solid connectivity until I put the router back (didn't trust the modem's firewall).

So, somehow the router, DHCP connection and DNS do not work well, but I've run out ideas on what else I can tweak.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

kendo451

• Level 1 Member
Re: Losing WAN connection regularly - DNS Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 08:11:24 PM »

I have a DIR-601 with the same problem.  I disabled the "Advanced DNS Service" and it seems to work ok now.

rickm1350

• Level 2 Member
Re: Losing WAN connection regularly - DNS Problem
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 12:36:23 AM »

I use the Open DNS servers, they always seem to work well for me.  I use them here at home and also use them at work.. never had any problems..

http://www.opendns.com/

their server IP address' are located in the lower right of the screen, just copy those to your router.