• March 28, 2024, 05:06:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wireless stopped working way quicker than before!  (Read 34524 times)

Megabite

• Level 1 Member
Re: Wireless stopped working way quicker than before!
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 08:02:04 AM »

So yea.. I lurk alot. My company has over 12 of these models. I'm running 1.05 with no issue what-so-ever. I've heard of no complaints the past 3-4 weeks or so.

I imagine they're looking into it. I'll refrain from giving my advice since you vultures like to take it out on people trying to help you. So with that, good luck :).

I'll continue to lurk now. :)

Hi miamifootball,

Which hardware revision do you have?  Does your company have any special configuration set on them?  Please let us know so that we can start working to a more permanent solution.

Cheers

bjrichus

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 11:36:39 AM »

Which hardware revision do you have? 

Hey Megabyte,

Hardware revisions - Now there's a potential for some upgrades, isn't it?

By the way, like you, I feel that until recently, we'd post our grumbles and in a few months, they'd bring out a new rev of the firmware that more or less fixed it and we'd all then move onto the next bug - we'd grumble about it, in a few months.... and so on.

Now we seem to be told to downgrade, disable features we have already paid for in both time and effort to debug and got working. What is going on here?

jonesb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 11:13:08 AM »

72 hours in now and all systems still up.

See reply 10 above for details of "fix".

Fingers crossed!

bjrichus

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 12:53:35 PM »

72 hours in now and all systems still up.

See reply 10 above for details of "fix".

Fingers crossed!

Mine worked fine on 1.05 for 10-12 days at a time with the same setup. Then after about three times of this kind of up time, it started losing wireless every few (2-4) days.

Good luck.

Megabite

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 08:30:38 PM »

I've found that if I use "Bart's Stuff Test" http://www.nu2.nu/bst/ over the wireless, it dies in approximately 12 hours.  It seems that the more load that is placed on the wireless, the faster it dies out (with 1.05x).   When I was running the test, I was using BST from one wireless laptop to another wireless laptop.  Maybe it is an overheating issue? 

bjrichus

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 08:07:45 AM »

Maybe it is an overheating issue? 

That's an interesting thought, now isn't it?  :)

Mine is a little warm on the bottom, in the center behind the LED's for wired ports 1 and 2. Not what I'd cal 'hot'!!!

I've got it on it's end, in the stand with the antenna end of it facing up.

I'll have to watch out for the next 'freeze' of wireless and see if it is hot or just a little warm or what!!!

jonesb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 04:58:37 AM »

Does anyone know how to set the clock time in the WBR-2310?

I keep setting it and it soon defaults back to April 2002.  This may be a contributer to the loss of wireless.

After setting, etc. a nice box appears saying "System Time is now .... (the current time)" but that does not hold beyond a few hours, if that.

Tks

bjrichus

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 03:22:12 PM »

Does anyone know how to set the clock time in the WBR-2310?

From the Helpful Hints on te right side of the screen:

"Time Settings:
If you plan on using the scheduling feature of this router, then making sure the time is correct is extremely important. Either enter the time manually by clicking the Copy Your Computers Time Settings button, or use the Automatic Time Configuration option to have your router synchronize with a time server on the Internet."

I have mine set to use ntp1.dlink.com - Tools/Time and about half way down the screen, in the "Automatic Time Configuration" block, don't forget to enable it and I have it set to 1 hour, which I presume is the interval it looks to update it's internal clock...

jonesb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 06:09:19 AM »

Thanks bjrichus for the time answer.  Since I am not doing any scheduling, I assume the router can continue to think it is back in 2002, with no ill effects on our main issue here - that is to find settings which will keep the wireless turned on.

I can now report that mine has stayed up for seven days straight with the settings used at the beginning of this thread.  Now we are moving into the twilight zone where failures have been reported with all firmwares.  If I can make it to two full weeks, that will be a record here.

Will report back in a week.

tafn

jonesb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 01:11:05 PM »

As mentioned above, with the setup I have used, repeated below, the wireless failed overnight.  The remote PCs saw the signal but could not find the IP addresses which were assigned.

This made about 12 days straight of up time.  Everything returned as expected when the router was powered done and then up.  I have noted today's cold reboot date and will try again without changing anything.  My next report will not be until about 12 days from now assuming similar behaviour

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Setup follows:

1) Reverted to Firmware 1.04 from 1.05

2) Gave DHCP reservations to my main PC (where the router is hard wired) and to the other two in the house which use wireless.  Each reservation required a router reset (Save Changes) - and the reservations appeared in the list - I used IP 192.168.0.100 for the main PC and 192.168.0.101 and 192.168.0.102 for the two wireless ones plus Mac addresses.

3) Changed the DHCP lease time from 180 to 9999.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

bjrichus

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 02:40:50 PM »

I have found that rebooting the router (rather than pulling the power plug out and then pushing it back in) does just as well.

rho88

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 05:04:56 PM »

Wow, I came here looking for answers about connectivity issue with my WBR-2310, Rev A1 firmware 1.05. I'm surprised that people at DLink don't think this is widespread issue when there are at least 6 recent threads on this (this one, others from AwShuxs, Megabite, San Antonio, TheJackal, jonesb), plus the many users who posted on those threads.

And no, returning the router is not an option as it was bought more then 6 months ago. It works fine except for the annoying can't connect issue.

Firmware 1.05 has been out for more then a month, didn't someone at DLink get 5 min of their time to test and try to duplicate the problem?

Megabite

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2008, 08:48:19 AM »

As mentioned above, with the setup I have used, repeated below, the wireless failed overnight.  The remote PCs saw the signal but could not find the IP addresses which were assigned.

Hi Jonesb,

I can confirm this exact same issue with the 1.04 firmware.  It seems to be more of a DHCP server issue on the router than the wireless itself.  Do you receive DHCP leases when connecting via LAN?  If you assign as static IP address to your wireless computer, does it connect and communicate through the router?  Whenever I have setup these routers with an external DHCP server, the router seems to be very stable, except for the usual issues with 1.04.

It almost seems that the 1.04 firmware had an "automatic reboot on wireless failure" feature that was disabled in 1.05.  Under heavy load, the 1.04 seems to reboot, whereas the 1.05x just seems to drop the wireless.

I'll take one of these routers apart and see if there is a heat issue and maybe stick on a heatsink+fan and see if there is an improvement.  I'll post back with results.

Cheers

[Adjusted Quote]
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 08:50:04 AM by Megabite »

jonesb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2008, 11:14:25 AM »

I have not tried a static IP address yet, mainly because my ISP uses dynamic IPs.  Probably there is no relation with router installations is there??

So I am timing again my up-time to see it it stays for 12 days as before.

The main difference I saw between 1.04 and 1.05 was that 1.05 dropped the wireless signal completely after only a few days.

For 1.04 the signal stays indefinitely but the "connectivity" or ability of the remote PCs to find the IP address drops after a week or so.

One piece of good news.  I was having conflicts with the wlanapi.dll file on one remote PC which has a DLink WPA-2320 adapter card (cause was SP3 for XP trashing the DLink file). Seeing no Forum about that I earlier today posted a call for help here.  However, I later Googled the problem and found two ways to fix the issue.  The first (and better) was to download an updated setup and drivers from DLink - which I did and the problem went away.  Sooooo SOME of DLink's downloads actually work!

If only the newer WBR2310 firmware would  .........

bjrichus

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2008, 01:27:54 PM »

Just had to power cycle the router....

The wireless stopped - after just about 8 days - and I went to one of my wired PC's to do a soft reboot, but I couldn't get to the admin screens...

Power off and then on to the router and it's all 'up' again.

The router isn't all that hot on the bottom plate....

Most bizarre.
Pages: 1 [2] 3