• April 24, 2024, 07:12:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: UPnP media server does not show up  (Read 5455 times)

Panadero

• Level 1 Member
UPnP media server does not show up
« on: April 05, 2008, 07:16:45 PM »

Hi,
my DSM-510 was running flawless with Microsoft Media Player 11 till I upgraded my PC (new MB, GPU...). I did not re-install Windows XP. Just using the same I had on the hard drive updating all the needed driver. Now the media server is not showing up any longer on my DSM. I also upgraded from 1.07 to 1.08 w/o result.

I have installed the Microsoft Media Player on my business Laptop and after deactivating the ISS Firewall I could see this server on my DSM and playback any content. So the router / DSM / cables should be fine.

This is what I have done so far:

1. Uninstall Microsoft Media Player 11 & Format 11 runtime.
2. Reboot
3. Uninstall Internet-Gateway....
4. Reboot
5. Re-activate Internet-Gateway...
6. Reboot
7. Installed MMP 11
8. Activate Media sharing
9. DSM shows up and access rights granted

I have tried activating the UPnP-Interface and for sure with tons of reboots in between (PC & DSM). I also deactivated the Windows Firewall and the Virus scanner. Still no server visible.....

What else could it be on the Windows side?
Is there a software UPnP client I could use on the Laptop to verify the media server is working fine?

Thx,
David

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: UPnP media server does not show up
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 02:24:13 PM »

Ok I am going to go way out into left field and offer a partially educated guess, tell me how wrong I am.

New motherboard used an nforce chipset
You installed the latest nforce drivers
You have the nforce firewall enabled or at least not disabled (sounds repetitious but it's not in that driver)

If the above is the case uninstall the nforce firewall manager.

If none of the above applies my apologies, I just wanted to see if I could get a hole in one.
non progredi est regredi

Panadero

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 02:31:40 PM »

new motherboard -> right
new nforce driver -> right (for nforce 520LE chipset)

but I could not find any firewall manager on the system. I deinstalled the nvidia drivers and re-installed them. I had no selection if I wanna install (or de-install) a firewall manager. I couldn't find something with firewall in the name in the add/remove programs section.

Regardless of this I will test if I can send on the ports used by MMP. This should show me if this is the right way to investigate.

Will post the results

Thx,
David

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 02:46:35 PM »

I had a problem with it back in the day, I don't even know if they still apply it to their new drivers.  The PC I had with an nforce4 became my Linux based router.  As I recall it didn't show up in add/remove programs and it was very difficult to find.  Though I remember an option to install it or not clear as day in the drivers, so maybe I am barking up the wrong tree.
non progredi est regredi

Panadero

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 10:52:35 PM »

I checked with tcpview from sysinternals and with ttcp (http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/pcattcp.htm). The ports seem to be open / not blocked but in tcpview the media server does not show up. I suppose something got messed up with the windows installation while swapping the MB & installing new drivers....

After a new installation of XP & the media server everything is fine. I used the same MB drivers I had before w/o a problem but thanks for the idea with the nvidia firewall Fatman. I read some articles about that and a lot of people are having trouble with...