• March 28, 2024, 06:46:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: The "Hard Reset" Recommendation  (Read 3604 times)

msftman19

• Level 1 Member
The "Hard Reset" Recommendation
« on: May 25, 2018, 08:57:37 AM »

So, what's with the continually outlined requirement for multiple hard resets following each firmware update?  The average consumer is never going to follow these steps (though maybe they'll just never update the firmware at all), the web UI allows you to update the firmware semi-automatically by checking the web for new firmware and then applying it - with no direction to backup, hard reset, update fw, hard reset again, apply backup config, etc.

This dance just seems so brutal - I work in technology and while you always should back up your configuration prior to upgrading routers, switches, IP phones, session border controllers, there's never this kind of wipe, rinse, repeat methodology.  Why does that exist here?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: The "Hard Reset" Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 09:54:13 AM »

Welcome!

Under normal circumstances, users don't have to do factory resets. Historical experiences, including myself, have seen it where doing a factory reset after FW has been loaded and set up from scratch is the best way to ensure the FW is loaded and installed cleanly, and setting up from scratch ensures that a new configuration is applied to the new FW version. Seen it where some prior mid-configurations or features become either corrupt or incompatible with newer changes in versions of FW. Users should always back up there router configurations each time after doing a FW update and set up anyways. Hard to tell if the "average" user is doing this or not.  :o

Maybe it's not recommended for enterprise class devices, however It's recommended for home class devices. Would be hard to tell what the "average" user is following and really doing. So when users come to the forums, this method has been tried and holds true for users having problems and need troubleshooting help. It's a recommendation and suggestion. It's up to each user if they want to follow it, or not. It's recommended however it's mainly a troubleshooting step as well. Users can always of course update FW with out doing any factory resets and test there router out with there current configurations. If it continues to work, then by all means, continue using it as is.  ;D

I've been using this method for years. ZERO issues with it. It won't be going away any time soon. Keeps my tested routers running good for me.  ;D

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.