• May 12, 2024, 02:28:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: FTP Port Forwarding IP Address Translation Issue  (Read 8544 times)

technoman

FTP Port Forwarding IP Address Translation Issue
« on: December 20, 2007, 09:24:30 PM »

So, I have a Server that I am trying to shoot through the DIR-625 to the world wide web. I have port forwarded ports 20, 21, 80, and 81. The server works perfectly both Http wise and FTP wise with in the network, and outside the network I can only get the Http portion of things to work. Whats wierd is on the main screen of my server, for my shares or folders it shows both Http button and Ftp buttons. When I take my cursor and scan it over the Http in the bottom left part of the browser it shows me the correct external IP address. However, when i place the cursor over the Ftp buttons, it shows me the internal, or private IP address. Now I find this wierd as it seems to be a translation issue with the Dlink router. Now I have tried DMZin' the whole thing, and same result. So I tried blaiming comcast, so I hooked the server straight to the comcast modem and everything works perfectly over the WWW. So, this is making me believe that somewhere in the DLink Router, the translation is getting mixed up. I tried contacting Lacie and see if there is any special communication tricks i need to know, and they said that the ports i have opened are the only tricks. So with the Server working fine with in the Network when plugged into the DLink, and working fine outside the network when removing the DLink from the sitution, everything works...

Let me know if you have any suggestions for me? Or if you have any questions or concerns to help in helping me?

Thanks for your time!

Happy Holidays!

Nick

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
Re: FTP Port Forwarding IP Address Translation Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 12:37:10 PM »

What is the hardware revision of the 625 that you are using?

technoman

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 02:12:02 PM »

Firmware 1.9
A1

Rara Avis

• Imperator
  • Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 02:24:17 PM »

If your seeing the private IP of the server in the links then the problems not with the router, the problem is your FTP server is offering absolute paths not relative paths.  If your FTP server is going to serve to multiple networks (LAN and WAN) then your gonna wanna use relative paths.  Your FTP server should also have an option to set the address it is using so it gives the correct absolute pathnames.
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. - Seneca
There has never been a great genius without a element of madness.

mfronk

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 02:57:03 PM »

What server are you using.
Being somewhat of a web developer myself for a personal site, It looks like the server is either miss configured or poorly programmed in the firmware.
I have seen this problem with a LaCie NAS.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 04:45:47 PM »

As have I. They actually claim that the FTP server portion is not supported.
Is the NAS running the latest firmware?

technoman

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 02:15:34 PM »

I tell ya Lacie sure dont like to give good tech support...

So now I am to the point were the Lacie tech support can access and change files through the Windows Comand Prompt. However, Im not in to computer launguage. So, I tried to do the My Network Places, and tried the server again and get this message. Anybody know what it means?

"An error occured opening that folder on that server on the FTP Server. Make sure you have permission to access that folder.
Details:
200 Type set A
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,0,141,4,14)
426 Connection Closed Transfer Aborted"

So with that I tried opening Ports 200, 227, 426... still nothing... Arrrrggg! lol

Any suggestions?

Thanks again everyone fopr your help!
Nick