• April 24, 2024, 10:23:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Wireless G best after upgrade  (Read 2729 times)

buckm

• Level 1 Member
Wireless G best after upgrade
« on: November 13, 2010, 05:32:18 PM »

Hi Guys,

I've got the now infamous dir-615 D4 from Virgin Media.  I was having issues with my work VPN on the POS firmware that virgin had on it so I upgraded to the latest firmware from here (Build 15704). The good point is that my Cisco anywhere client is soo much more stable. but there is a downside.....

My problem is that on both mine and my girlfriends laptops they only see the wireless as being 802.11g. Both laptops have N cards in and before the firmware change both were getting connection speeds over 100mbps, i even got 270mbps once.

We have 50MB broadband, so now we're restricted to onty get about 20MB as, as you know, you only really get half of the the stated connection speed is.  Before i was getting regular 46/47MB on speedtest, now i'm getting 19/20Mb.

I have a Dell 1510 N card and she had a Realtek card.

I've played with the settings, but can't get the router to annouce its a N router.  Can anyone help with this?

Cheers

Mike

buckm

• Level 1 Member
Re: Wireless G best after upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 04:37:03 AM »

OK i've figured it out,

So for some reason when I had it in N+G or N only, I would only get G (54MB), So i changed the encryption to AES and TKIP and put the mode back to MIXED, and then the laptop regonised that it was a N router, and connected me at 104MB, which is fine.

Mike

Skello

• Level 3 Member
Re: Wireless G best after upgrade
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 02:01:09 PM »

I don't think the wireless security has anything to do with it. It should be WPA2 Personal with AES for best security.

As far as connection go, I also found that MIXED works best, even if you only have N devices. Also, you might want to change the channel width to 40 Mhz to double the speed.