• April 19, 2024, 02:44:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: On a Mac  (Read 5954 times)

Golf11

On a Mac
« on: December 30, 2007, 08:32:36 AM »

I just purchased the DIR 615 (rev A1) for use on a mac and it's giving me fits. It drives me crazy that anytime I make changes using the web based configurator it locks up the browser AND forces me to unplug the router so it can power up again. I must do this 3 or for times. Other times it constantly drops connections, computers that connected last night don't connect the next day. I've tried to set up mac addresses but the configurator doesn't keep the name of the computer just the mac address. Am I missing something here or do I need to just take it back and buy another router. javascript:void(0);

It's also misleading that it says mac on the box and none of the configuration tools are designed for mac. javascript:void(0);

rydude

Re: On a Mac
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 09:00:48 AM »

It's recommended to use windows based pc's to configure the router.  It doesn't mean it won't work on a mac, but if you are using safari to configure it, then it won't work properly.

Also, the cd that came with the router, it is made for windows machines.

Try using the firefox browser for MAC to configure your router at the address 192.168.0.1

jbl-az

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 09:09:50 AM »

I just purchased the DIR 615 (rev A1) for use on a mac and it's giving me fits.
In addition to other good advice (Firefox is a very good browser on any platform, in my opinion), make sure your firmware is up-to-date.  When I upgraded to version 1.10 a lot of problems I was having seemed to disappear (though I upgraded only recently and time will tell for sure).
Look in the Tools menu, I believe, on the router's configuration site for a page that will tell you current firmware version and allow uploading a new one.

/JBL

Golf11

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 10:04:07 AM »

Thanks rydude and jbl-az, that's just it, I am using Firefox and I've updated to version 1.10 of the firmware..it's just very frustrating and I'm not new to setting up routers, in fact, the one that this is replacing is the dlink Di 624 and it worked flawlessly with my mac and any browser i wanted to use. A perfect example of connection issues is my ipod touch, before, all i needed do was turn it on it would look for a few seconds, find the network and connect. Now it finds the network  (and its suppose to connect to known networks automatically) and it just sits there and then it drops and then it finds it again and then it drops it.

Klom Dark

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 02:05:22 PM »

Ug, you've got version A1? If you can, return it and get a B2 model. Looks like they've stopped releasing updates for the A1 version. The B2 version is up to firmware 2.24. Any of the 1.xx firmware seems to be really flaky, similar to what you are seeing.

My B2 came with firmware 2.20 and it pretty much didn't work, got the constant dropped connections if I was able to connect at all. Once I upgraded to firmware 2.24 I haven't had any problems (See the occasional cryptic "received deauth" in the log, but everything seems to be working fine and stays connected with no dropouts that I've experienced.)

If you log into the router, click on the Status tab, and scroll down to the Wireless LAN section, what are you seeing next to "Wireless Radio"? Until I updated my firmware, I usually saw "Wireless Init Failed". Now that I'm running 2.24, I get "Wireless Radio: Enabled" which is much better! However, with the A1 firmware, the last update is the 1.10 version, so I think you might be stuck.

Looks like some DLink exec forced a product out the door before it was ready. Probably every techie in the place was screaming "Noooooo", but just like the place I work, the execs tend to value a schedule date more than a working product. Probably explains while the tech support line is so swamped. But, then again, I'm allowing work frustrations to affect my answer here. :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 04:11:15 PM by Klom Dark »