• April 17, 2024, 06:49:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: my DSM-510 won't play DivX  (Read 7683 times)

dkaplan435

my DSM-510 won't play DivX
« on: November 21, 2007, 12:09:06 PM »

I purchased a DSM-510 so I could play DivX movies over my network.  The website says that Firmware version 1.07 enhances DivX.. I purchased the product and installed the firmware.

The DSM-510 was able to connect to my media drive and see's all my movies. The only problem is that DivX ones are greyed out so I can't click on them.

I called Dlink support and they told me that the DSM-510 no longer supported DivX due to licensing issues, so I contacted DivX and they told me that this is not true, that the 510 is licensed and that I should contact Dlink.  I've been going around in circles since I purchased the box.

You can view screen shots @ http://www.dkaplan.com/dsm-510

HELP!!!! Can somebody please tell me what I need to do to get my DSM-510 to do what I purchased it for?

Thx,

David
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 12:25:29 PM by dkaplan435 »

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: my DSM-510 won't play DivX
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 02:02:10 PM »

I purchased a DSM-510 so I could play DivX movies over my network.  The website says that Firmware version 1.07 enhances DivX.. I purchased the product and installed the firmware.

The DSM-510 was able to connect to my media drive and see's all my movies. The only problem is that DivX ones are greyed out so I can't click on them.

I called Dlink support and they told me that the DSM-510 no longer supported DivX due to licensing issues, so I contacted DivX and they told me that this is not true, that the 510 is licensed and that I should contact Dlink.  I've been going around in circles since I purchased the box.

You can view screen shots @ http://www.dkaplan.com/dsm-510

HELP!!!! Can somebody please tell me what I need to do to get my DSM-510 to do what I purchased it for?

Thx,

David

Just to make sure we are clear, the DSM-510 is FULLY Divx Certified and Licensed to play divx files. Although your sceen shot was very small I have a good idea of why the files are showing up "Greyed out". The main reason for this would be that the media server you are connecting to, wmp11, tversity etc is providing the wrong mime type for the file. For instance the DSM-510 handles divx files as the mime type Video\AVI. If the server is showing them as Video\Divx then the DSM-510 would not recognize the mime extension.

The simplest quickest fix to play the video if it was named for instance video.divx, would be to rename the extension to video.avi.

dkaplan435

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 02:34:40 PM »

I'm doing this right now and will post the results!

Thank you very much!!

dkaplan435

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 02:43:55 PM »

It worked!!

Thank you VERY VERY much!

Dave

NHRaider

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 12:04:11 PM »

Just to make sure we are clear, the DSM-510 is FULLY Divx Certified and Licensed to play divx files. Although your sceen shot was very small I have a good idea of why the files are showing up "Greyed out". The main reason for this would be that the media server you are connecting to, wmp11, tversity etc is providing the wrong mime type for the file. For instance the DSM-510 handles divx files as the mime type Video\AVI. If the server is showing them as Video\Divx then the DSM-510 would not recognize the mime extension.

The simplest quickest fix to play the video if it was named for instance video.divx, would be to rename the extension to video.avi.

Having same problem with "greyed out" files.  They are *.AVI files.  This was working and now all of a sudden stopped working.  My Twonky, DLink Media Server, WMP11 all do the same.

I had a similar issue initially when I bought the device but I changed from Infrastructure to Ad Hoc on the Wireless and that seemed to work.  I ran a wired connection to the 510 and now something has changed that doesn't allow playback.

I looked at all the settings and reset them.

any help is appreciated...

NHRaider

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »

Having same problem with "greyed out" files.  They are *.AVI files.  This was working and now all of a sudden stopped working.  My Twonky, DLink Media Server, WMP11 all do the same.

I had a similar issue initially when I bought the device but I changed from Infrastructure to Ad Hoc on the Wireless and that seemed to work.  I ran a wired connection to the 510 and now something has changed that doesn't allow playback.

I looked at all the settings and reset them.

any help is appreciated...

After some work, I figured out the issue.  As I went to Wired connection, I let it select an IP...I noticed the DNS was the same as the gateway.  I manually entered the IP including DNS and that worked perfectly.

Now I just need to figure out why display keeps reverting to Analog even though I keep setting it for Digital 1080i

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 12:01:07 PM »

Do you still have the analog video plug into the unit? That will prevent the unit from auto detecting the HDMI. Sometimes it takes a bit longer to detect HDMI so you may need to wait upon bootup.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream