• April 18, 2024, 09:50:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: MacOS X clients won't stay connected to DAP-2553  (Read 11199 times)

djc6

• Level 1 Member
MacOS X clients won't stay connected to DAP-2553
« on: July 31, 2010, 11:18:39 PM »

There is some kind of incompatibility between MacOS X and the D-Link DAP-2553.  I have two Mid-2009 13" MBPs running 10.6.4 and the Wi-Fi connection drops every 15 minutes or so - but ONLY while running MacOS X.  I dual boot these laptops with Windows 7 via Bootcamp, and I was able to stop the network connection from dropping by setting the power saving settings for the Wi-Fi adapter to 'Maximum Performance' via the steps in this article.  Apparently this setting puts the Wi-Fi card in "Continuously Aware Mode" (CAM) instead of "Power Save Polling" (PSP) mode:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928152

However, I haven't found a similar setting in MacOS X to keep the connection from dying in OS X by switching from PSP to CAM mode.  In the logs I see this every time the connection dies:

AirPort: Link Down on en1. Reason 4 (Disassociated due to inactivity).

On the D-Link you can list connected clients to the AP, and while the laptops are booted in OS X, "Yes" is displayed in the "Power Saving Mode" column in the 'Client List' in the GUI for the router - presumably because PSP is in use.  When I boot the laptops into Windows 7, it says "No" - presumably because CAM is in use.

Apparently this is an issue with other routers and Intel Wi-Fi cards:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm

Here is an article that talks about Power Save Polling vs. Continuously Aware Mode:

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/networking/?p=533

So, anyone know if a new firmware is in the works to fix the problems with 'Power Save Polling (PSP)' in the DAP-2553, OR does anyone know how to disable PSP (aka enable CAM) in MacOS X?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 11:33:34 PM by djc6 »

kurt

• Level 1 Member
Re: MacOS X clients won't stay connected to DAP-2553
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 12:04:34 PM »

We have a similar problem with Windows XP and Windows 7 users.  They randomly are disconnected and I need to disable and re-enable the adapter in order for them to be able to see available wireless networks again.  It sounds very similar to your issue. Most of the clients have an Intel 3945ABG card.  

Thanks for posting the info on the power settings.  I'm going to give that a try.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 12:14:32 PM by kurt »

ZeuZ

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 04:10:13 PM »

I have the same problem with OSX 10.6.4  :'(

My Mac does not experience this problem with my router (DIR-655) and my PCs do not experience this problem with either the router or access point. My mac running Boot Camp in Windows 7 does experience problems as well. I am super stumped. Played around with the 2553s setting but nothing.

I don't know if the problem lies with the DAP-2553, Snow Leopard or just the combination but it does not make it any less frustrating.

I updated to the recent firmware but still no go. I hope this gets fixed in the future.
Anybody have any updates/ suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 08:49:17 PM by ZeuZ »

ZeuZ

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 04:25:35 PM »

Update:
I was able to make the problem almost go away by switching the router to "5Ghz" and "Wireless-N only"

I would not go so far as to call this a fix because in this setting i cant use any of my wireless-G products.  >:(

blackbird94

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 05:14:35 PM »

I just switched it to Wireless N Only and that fixed my mac's. My Ipads did not have a problem.

Also check your network cabling for noise, using a digital cable tester.(or for a cheap test run in a windows/dos command prompt a ping test.   "ping DeviceIP -t" and make sure you have a constant 1ms connection time, if not your network might be the problem)  Cables running too close to fluorescent lights will cause noise over the ethernet cables, just move the cable further away from the light to fix it.

Rant!! ::)
Its Apple again trying to force you to buy and Airport. Its the apple's anti competitive business as usual.

Malachi

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 12:06:03 AM »

My 2010 MBP has never had an issue.  I only run in 5GHz N mode, so that is a vote of confidence for that.