• March 28, 2024, 01:58:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Setting up a user accounts with restricted features  (Read 23503 times)

desire83

• Level 1 Member
Setting up a user accounts with restricted features
« on: April 10, 2014, 01:51:44 AM »

I want to buy four dcs-930l ip cameras for my daycare. I want to know if the security setup that i want in the daycare can b implemented with DCS-930L. Kindly tell me whether the following features are achievable with dcs 930l

1- I want to have TWO accounts namely, admin (with all the rights n features) and a user account (only for viewing , no options for zooming etc)

2- I have read that through D-VIEWcam, "admin account" can see the views from multiple cameras on one screen...but if there is a provision of creating user account, will the user account be able to see the view from all the four cameras on one screen of pc/android/iphone?

3- If everything is possible that i discussed above in point 1 and 2, then kindly let me know the procedure of doing so...specially how the users would b able to multiple view of the cameras...

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Setting up a user accounts with restricted features
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 05:55:18 AM »

1- I want to have TWO accounts namely, admin (with all the rights n features) and a user account (only for viewing , no options for zooming etc)

The mydlink service works by first creating one account and then registering all Cloud cameras with the new account. The one account will have the ability to view live video feeds from all four cameras. Unfortunately, this account will also have admin access to registered cameras. There is no guest account concept implemented with "read only" access using the mydlink service.

That said, the DCS-930L hardware itself supports multiple accounts. The admin account can access all configuration pages in the camera firmware web UI. Additional user accounts can only view the LIVE VIDEO page of the web UI. If the camera IP address is entered into a browser, the admin account can see live video feed and configuration pages, while the other user accounts can only see the live video feed.

Just to be clear, the separate "user accounts" created through the camera web UI are only used for direct camera access through IP.

2- I have read that through D-VIEWcam, "admin account" can see the views from multiple cameras on one screen...but if there is a provision of creating user account, will the user account be able to see the view from all the four cameras on one screen of pc/android/iphone?

I think you are mixing applications here. D-ViewCam is a free D-Link desktop application that must be installed on and run from a host PC. The application records video feeds for playback and provides a form of remote connectivity.

D-Link now offers a relatively new mobile app available for D-ViewCam, but I have yet to try it personally. I can say that the D-ViewCam mobile app is dependent on the D-ViewCam desktop application running on a dedicated PC on the same LAN as the other cameras, which would mean you would need a PC running at all times to support the four cameras using this approach. I'm not sure if the mobile app is compatible with the free version of D-ViewCam, I believe it may only work with some higher tiered version.

The mobile D-ViewCam app is also compatible with D-Link's NVR, which is a dedicated device with two HDDs that could record the video feeds from all connected cameras for archival and playback. Remote access can be configured to this device with tiered permissions that can go so far as to give specific users view-only access to specific cameras, while excluding others.

The typical mobile apps that you've probably read about work through the mydlink service described on my previous answer above. Through the mydlink service, the mydlink Lite smartphone app (android/iPhone) can only view one live video feed on the screen at a time. The mydlink+ tablet app (android/iPad) app can view four live feeds at the same time. Since there is only one account (admin) supporting all cameras, there is no distinction between "admin" and "user account".

Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

acellier

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 10:26:48 AM »

Don't forget the JustConnect+app (iOS) which can view 12 (if not more) cameras,
with some limited control capability ...
<url> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/justconnect+/id599879455?mt=8 </url>
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:40:06 PM by acellier »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 12:26:38 PM »

Don't forget the JustConnect+app (iOS) which can view 8 (if not more) cameras,
with some limited control capability ...
<url> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/justconnect+/id599879455?mt=8 </url>

I just tested JustConnect+ (finally) on my DCS-932L using the "admin" account and a "user account" with view-only permission.  Both work perfectly. So it looks like this app is a viable solution.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »

I just added a DCS-931L, so multiple cameras work without issue. However, the app only displays one live feed at a time, i.e. no multiple view support.

Although, it seems that the audio feed is not coming through either camera.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:35:23 PM by JavaLawyer »

acellier

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 03:22:32 PM »

On the iPad, we get a panel with 6 cameras - swipe left for 6 more; double-tap any one for full-screen; tap once to get "connections" list in upper left - when tapped, get list of connections with thumbnails, scrollable up-down
On old iPodTouch, get one at a time; tap once to get "connections" list in upper left - when tapped, get list of connections with thumbnails, scrollable up-down
Can re-order the "connections list (in edit mode, drag the bars at the right up or down) - this is the sequence for the bigger views
P.S> - Oh, maybe this isn't the best thread for these comments ...

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 04:46:41 PM »

On the iPad, we get a panel with 6 cameras - swipe left for 6 more; double-tap any one for full-screen; tap once to get "connections" list in upper left - when tapped, get list of connections with thumbnails, scrollable up-down
On old iPodTouch, get one at a time; tap once to get "connections" list in upper left - when tapped, get list of connections with thumbnails, scrollable up-down
Can re-order the "connections list (in edit mode, drag the bars at the right up or down) - this is the sequence for the bigger views
P.S> - Oh, maybe this isn't the best thread for these comments ...

It's a little too late to stop now! Besides, these are the types of answer the OP is looking for. Does the iPad version support audio? I will install the Galaxy pad version to see how the app behaves.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 05:07:29 PM »

On my Galaxy pad I can see four concurrent video feeds per screen, but still no sound, so I presume sound is not supported. Also, the DCS-5020L does not seem be be supported either.

desire83

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 11:26:38 PM »

That said, the DCS-930L hardware itself supports multiple accounts. The admin account can access all configuration pages in the camera firmware web UI. Additional user accounts can only view the LIVE VIDEO page of the web UI. If the camera IP address is entered into a browser, the admin account can see live video feed and configuration pages, while the other user accounts can only see the live video feed.

Just to be clear, the separate "user accounts" created through the camera web UI are only used for direct camera access through IP.

Thanks for the reply...does that mean, if i make a SAME USER ACCOUNT on all the four dcs930l camera hardware and a same ADMIN ACCOUNT on all the four dcs930l hardware, then
1- the admin can access the camera live video + config pages through entering ip addreses (indvidually) on the browser?
2- or the admin will have to enter just one address where he can see the live feed from all the four cameras on one page?
3- The user can access the live video only by writing the ip address of the camera individually?? meaning four seperate ip addresses for viewing four live video from the four cameras??
4- If both admin and user have to access the video by writing ip addreses on the browser, then what will the difference of the accounts? does it ask for user name and password?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 07:23:17 AM »

Thanks for the reply...does that mean, if i make a SAME USER ACCOUNT on all the four dcs930l camera hardware and a same ADMIN ACCOUNT on all the four dcs930l hardware, then
1- the admin can access the camera live video + config pages through entering ip addreses (indvidually) on the browser?

Yes

2- or the admin will have to enter just one address where he can see the live feed from all the four cameras on one page?

If you associate all four cameras to a mydlink account, then the admin can log into your mydlink account one time and see all four feeds and access the configuration through a single interface.

• mydlink Lite app - smartphone (android/iphone) - 1 live feed per page
  • mydlink.com website from PC - 1 live feed per page
  • mydlink+ app - tablet (android/ipad) - 4 live feeds per page

3- The user can access the live video only by writing the ip address of the camera individually?? meaning four seperate ip addresses for viewing four live video from the four cameras??

Yes, this is one option. However, if the users are outside of your LAN, then you'll have to use port forwarding or virtual server on your router to expose the cameras to the Internet for external access (not too difficult to configure) -- this is a one-time configuration required for any networked device requiring access from the Internet.

Second option is to configure the JustConnect+ app for their mobile device which will provide view-only access to all four cameras.  There's a bit of configuration for JustConnect+, as it's not simple plug-and-play like mydlink.  So if you intend on persistently providing access to large numbers of people, this can be burdensome.

4- If both admin and user have to access the video by writing ip addreses on the browser, then what will the difference of the accounts? does it ask for user name and password?

Admin must enter admin credentials (un/pw), and the other users must add their individual (or shared) credentials (un/pw).  Admin will see the entire web UI, while users will only see the LIVE VIDEO page.

Here is a DCS-930L firmware emulator to give you some idea of what the users will see and how the camera is configured: DCS-930L Firmware Emulator
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 07:28:09 AM by JavaLawyer »

desire83

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 10:23:37 AM »

thanks alot!!! i have just purchased four dcs930l...i will start configuring them tomoro..i hope i get my setup right...

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 01:15:55 PM »

Glad to help. Please visit the following sticky post, which includes commonly referenced FAQs, including setting up port forwarding: Network Cameras - Important Posts & Information

desire83

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 03:05:48 PM »

hello, i have successfully installed all my four dcs930l and they are showing the live feed perfectly on dlink website but i have few probs...
1-  when when i try to see the live video by entering the ip address of camera on the address bar, i only see a stuck image showing the time when i logged in and the video image doesnt move at all.......although on dlink website, i can see the video without any jerks even....

2-  since im using DHCP for getting the cameras connected to the router, how will i let my users to come to know the ip address of cameras when they will be randomly changed every time the router is switched on?
Is there any way that USERS can have a account on dlink website  other than my OWN admin account (on whcih i have registered all the four cameras)?

3- How can USERS access the cameras on android?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 03:44:32 PM »

hello, i have successfully installed all my four dcs930l and they are showing the live feed perfectly on dlink website but i have few probs...
1-  when when i try to see the live video by entering the ip address of camera on the address bar, i only see a stuck image showing the time when i logged in and the video image doesnt move at all.......although on dlink website, i can see the video without any jerks even....

[IP_ADDRESS]/mjpeg.cgi (e.g. 192.168.0.2/mjpeg.cgi)

2-  since im using DHCP for getting the cameras connected to the router, how will i let my users to come to know the ip address of cameras when they will be randomly changed every time the router is switched on?
Is there any way that USERS can have a account on dlink website  other than my OWN admin account (on whcih i have registered all the four cameras)?

You need to reserve an IP address through your router for each camera. Each time the router reboots or a camera connects/disconnects, the router will make sure the same IP address is assigned to each camera. Alternatively, you can use the static IP address option in each camera. Reserving the IP address is the best method.

Only the admin account can access the mydlink account. A camera can only register with one mydlink account.  If you want to provide alternative web-based access to other users, you'll need to expose the web UI to the open Internet using port forwarding configured on your router.

3- How can USERS access the cameras on android?

The JustConnect+ mobile app can be used to access the live video feed for regular users.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:46:46 PM by JavaLawyer »

desire83

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 09:04:37 PM »

Only the admin account can access the mydlink account. A camera can only register with one mydlink account.  If you want to provide alternative web-based access to other users, you'll need to expose the web UI to the open Internet using port forwarding configured on your router.

By exposing the web UI, Do u mean that the USERS would have to enter
           [IP_ADDRESS]/mjpeg.cgi (e.g. 192.168.0.2/mjpeg.cgi)
on address bar of web browser and they will be asked for user name and password  (user name and pw, i have already set using the hardware)?????
AND
Does this port forwarding method explained anywhere?
Pages: [1] 2 3