• March 28, 2024, 12:11:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DCS-930L wireless connectivity fixed  (Read 16968 times)

gAlex

• Level 1 Member
DCS-930L wireless connectivity fixed
« on: February 12, 2012, 01:36:04 AM »

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to share how I managed to fix the wireless connectivity issue on a router with no WPS. It seems this issue is quite common on the forum.

To begin with, I used the cable to do the first setup with the CD provided. That worked fine. Then, I logged on to the camera with my web browser (Firefox v 9.0.1 under Win7) and I configured the wireless. Unfortunately, it just didn't work. I tried all sorts of settings on my ADSL modem/router and although the camera would detect the wifi router, it just wouldn't connect. My router doesn't have WPS. After searching around a big bunch of hours (yeah):
- I did a hard reset of the camera (paperclip in the reset for some 10 seconds)
- unplugged the power (but left the ethernet cable in)
- plugged power back in.

Strangely enough, when the led went back to green (after about 1 minute), the camera's IP address was not the default 192.168.0.20 as mentioned in the documentation and forums but was configured with DHCP from the router (the camera's firmware is 1.02 dated 2001-12-20). So the first thing was to find the IP of the camera. You can do that by looking it up on your router, or trying out the first IP addresses of DHCP range your router hands out until you find it or use the map network functionality of windows 7 (configuration panel / network).

So I ended up connecting to the camera via the ethernet cable (basically I'm doing the setup without the CD) and changed the IP to a static one (outside the DHCP range of the router of course). I searched again the the wireless router in the Wireless setup screen and made sure the channel was correct. I typed in the WPA pass-phrase, and again wireless would not connect.

So, and this is the trick, I removed all blanks, commas and non-plain ASCII characters (I basically kept a-z, A-Z, 0-9) from the wifi pass-phrase both in the router configuration and for the camera and saved the settings again. I got that idea from one of the posts where the SSID seemed to have troubled managing blanks. On the status page, the camera still appeared as not connected through wifi.

I then unplugged the cable, the LED went red and after about 10 seconds it went green again. yeeeha ! I refreshed the status page and it showed as connected, using the same IP static IP address.

And now it works, even with the security station of my synology NAS (a D2xx model running DSM 3.2).

Of course this requires to change the pass-phrase of all wifi devices, but that is only 5 or 6, so I guess it is manageable.

I hope this helps a few folks out there, because I sure wish I had stumbled across this some 10 hours ago.

Good luck.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DCS-930L wireless connectivity fixed
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:48:44 AM »

Can you access your camera via the mydlink website?
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

gAlex

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 12:58:07 PM »

I haven't tried using mydlink, so I didn't setup any port forwarding on the router. My NAS does all the monitoring and controls the camera. Everything is on the local network and thats what I needed.

That said, if you have a specific issue, I can always give it a try and see if it works.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 02:19:18 PM »

I haven't tried using mydlink, so I didn't setup any port forwarding on the router. My NAS does all the monitoring and controls the camera. Everything is on the local network and thats what I needed.

That said, if you have a specific issue, I can always give it a try and see if it works.

The more common issue users have experienced is the inability to maintain a persistent connection to mydlink. Less so is establishing a reliable direct connection to the DCS-930L.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

gAlex

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 02:50:44 PM »

I wanted to try out using the mydlink website, to see of the setup worked. Unfortunately, it is necessary to run the setup wizard to register (bugger, BTW it would be nice to be able to register directly on the website). So I downloaded the wizard from the web site and it kept saying that my computer was not connected to the network. Obviously not the case, because I'm posting on this forum and I can access the camera just fine. I even shut down the firewall (which I really don't like to do), but that would not change a thing. Perhaps an issue with the wizard as I've seen on another post, but fixing this would be another thread...

So sorry no testing yet with mydlink website.

Another test that worked fine, however: I had one camera shut down (i.e. power cord unplugged) for almost 2 weeks, and when I turned it back on, it connected on wifi perfectly. It proves the settings stick even with no power for a fairly long period of time.

gill3s

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 06:22:47 AM »

Thank you gAlex for this fix:

1. I had problems connecting my 930L's on my WIFI because of the blanks in my pass-phrase. As soon as I removed the blank spaces, the cams connected to the wireless network.

2. Also, removed mixed WPE/WPA from my EA4500 router and setup using WPA2 Personal.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 07:28:14 AM by gill3s »