The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DCS-5020L

Night Vision Filter Mechanism Failure

<< < (2/2)

GavinLeigh:
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add a little piece of advice. If you have a strong magnet (such as a neodymium from an old hard drive) you can actually reset the stuck IR filter mechanism from outside the camera without needing to open the case. I have a pair of DCS-5030L's and have experienced this issue. The same problem happened with a couple of DCS-932L's.

By slowly moving the magnet around the lens area and camera body I was able to get the mechanism to audibly click into the correct setting. After this reset it has been working correctly. In my case the filter stuck in the night vision position causing everything to look weird and washed out during the day. The only issue I noted was that it seemed to be possible to get the filter stuck in day mode at night and have it switch to night mode in the day. Which I was able to correct again with the magnet.  I did this procedure with the camera plugged in and not on any kind of long DC extension cable. I personally think the cameras might be a little sensitive to voltage drops on longer runs.

Having struggled through dismantling a DCS-5010L I have avoided going near these newer cameras, so I hope this trick may help someone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version