• March 28, 2024, 07:37:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: I forgot my admin password of the DNS-320  (Read 137765 times)

PedroMorais

• Level 1 Member
I forgot my admin password of the DNS-320
« on: May 28, 2011, 12:45:35 PM »

Hello,

I configured the DNS-320, but now I forgot my admin password, I have done reset, but by setting up with cd-rom gives error even after reset.

Says the admin password is incorrect.
How can I do to reset the admin password?

Thanks,
Pedro Morais

bourza

• Level 1 Member
Re: I forgot my admin password of the DNS-320
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 06:02:26 AM »

From memory when you reset the username is admin and there actually isnt a password that you need to enter.

Correct me if I am wrong.....which is a fair chance with my lack of knowledge!

PedroMorais

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 01:28:06 PM »

Okay, but after reset I still be access, use user "admin" and leave the password blank and gives error.
The error it gives is this:
Login fail, please try again or leave the password blank.

I'm trying to do with the new setup cd-rom, but get it, asks me to enter the password, the user "admin ".
I've reset several times, but no results ..

I really need help ..
Please ..

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 02:16:26 PM »

By reset I assume you used the reset at the back of the unit - this should have reset everything to factory defaults.

Not having windows here the CD is useless except for supplying a manual so I use a normal browser (firefox) to access the NAS so what follows takes that path.

1) open your browser and type in http://192.168.0.32 then hit enter.

2) when asked to log in user is admin (all lower case) and the password is left blank.
2a) if you have updated your firmware to v2 then you will be offered the choice of admin or others - select admin then just hit login (empty password field.

3) this should log you in - then you can select what you want to do.

good luck.

mavraolan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 01:31:27 AM »

Hello,

This is an old post but I thought is better to write here rather than make a new for the same issue.

So, after I came back to work after vacations I try to connect on the DNS-320 to check that backup is working properly as is schedule. Trying to connect as an admin failed. I don't know why. I am sure that I was using the correct password, but nothing.

Anyway, I also try to connect as a user to check my files, and other users file and thank God all files are fine.

I also try to reset the admin password with telnet (putty and fun_plug) but it won't change, or maybe it won't store the password. I don't know.

Finally, since it won't lose any data if I manually reset the devise (from the small button behind the DNS-320) I remove the power, hold the reset and then power on again while holding the reset for more than 5 sec. It didn't work either.

So, did I did the reset procedure wrong ? Can you guys explain me what can I do to reset that password?

Thank you

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 06:11:13 AM »

The password reset procedure is linked in the following post:
ShareCenter - Important Posts & Information

You may want to try a different web browser (and at the very least clear the cache of your current browser).  I've seen instances where a cached value is causing havoc with the authentication.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

mavraolan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 06:37:29 AM »

I have already tried in different browsers and also clear the cache. 

By the way how can I save the configuration settings before password reset if I can't login as an administrator?

What's the difference in the procedure you referring to,  to the one I did?

Thank you for your reply

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 02:25:59 AM »

If you can't reset the password by the usual method of restoring factory defaults there MAY be other problems lurking in your unit.

You say you have Fun_plug installed since you tried to use that then you need to check on how you reset the password through that because I think it overrides the normal firmware password.

The next thing you should do is make a full backup of all the data in the NAS for safety, if you are relying on RAID 1 as backup don't because it is not (all it does is allow you to keep on working if a disk fails).

Once you have a verified backup you can work on your unit to find out what the problem is.  Do you have a damaged file in Fun_plug?  Is there a problem with one of the disks (bad sector count too high on SMART test etc.)?

mavraolan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 03:26:04 AM »

hmm....I will make a backup just to be safe first.

I don't think Fun_plug is damaged. I also have to check hdd for bad sectors etc as you said.

Is there any way to reset and set up the whole unit back to factory defaults ?

tarlismachado

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 04:36:54 AM »

Hi,

I have had the same problem however after several attempts to reset password following the instructions shared above, I still can't log into as admin with a password.  Can someone help?

any help is really appreciated.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 09:56:57 AM »

A couple of things.

1) did you hold the reset button in for at least 10 seconds using something that fits through the hole in the case.
2) can you login to the webUI WITHOUT a password (this is the default)?

If you can do 2) then you need to redo all your old settings, master login to the webUI, users and their login passwords, various services (CIFS/SMB, FTP etc.) and any other services you used.

tarlismachado

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 04:52:40 AM »

Hi Ivan,

I have done exactly what you've stated and I remain in the same situation.
For some reason, it seems that the reset button is not having any effect on the configuration.

does anyone have any other suggestions?
thanks in Advanced//Tarlis

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 03:30:29 PM »

That is very strange, although we have seen this once and it was a physical problem with the reset switch and not a firmware problem.

To check if it might be a physical problem requires you to dismantle the unit (remember to mark which slot has which disk) and check the circuit board around the switch wit a good magnifying glass to check for dry joints and physical damage.  With the unit apart it is possible to short across the switch contacts with a metal object (take care you only short out the switch contacts) and power the unit on.  This will show if there is a problem with the switch or the reset circuitry.  If it is the switch this should do the reset, if it is the circuit then you have a much bigger problem.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 03:12:37 PM »

Any progress on this?

Hi Ivan,

I have done exactly what you've stated and I remain in the same situation.
For some reason, it seems that the reset button is not having any effect on the configuration.

does anyone have any other suggestions?
thanks in Advanced//Tarlis
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.