• April 24, 2024, 02:30:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fan is driving me crazy....  (Read 25886 times)

Torro14

• Level 1 Member
Fan is driving me crazy....
« on: September 04, 2012, 11:07:54 PM »

Like many other users of the DNS-320 i have problems with the fan and fan settings.

I use the newest firmware and the fan is running and running. I don't understand it.

Why is it so difficult to code a firmware which tells the fan to stop when discs are in hibernate?
Every device in my house is stopping fans when going to hibernate.....

There must be something totally wrong with the fan-control, cause the fan runs on low when discs are in hibernate, and it runs on low when i copy files to the nas, so i guess it is not to hot in the nas.....

Can someone from DLINK explain me the idea behind this implementation of fan-control?

This really drives me made cause the nas is in my living room and is running and running.......

albuemil

• Level 2 Member
Re: Fan is driving me crazy....
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 02:28:53 AM »

I know it's not exactly what you asked (as in an explanation on why the fan-controller works as it does), but in the Fan won't stop - What is a normal system temp? thread i gave my solution to the noisy fan problem, here's the quote :
Quote from: albuemil
I "fixed" the problem of the noisy fan by taking off the top of the unit and putting there an 80mm silent (Noctua) fan connected to the USB port of the NAS. The fan blows air downwards over the HDDs. Now the unit always reports as being around 40 centigrades (103 Fahrenheit) and the HDDs report as having 27 centigrades (80 Fahrenheit).
Because of this, the internal fan is OFF all the time.

I know it's not the most elegant solution, but it works great. Now, all i have to find out is how to put a filter between the fan and the unit so it won't get filled with dust.

P.S. the fan just "sits" on top of the HDDs for now, I'll have to see if i can make a support for it. I don't exactly want to modify the top of the unit as i would have to drill a big hole in it for the air to enter

Torro14

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 03:16:42 AM »

I know it's not exactly what you asked (as in an explanation on why the fan-controller works as it does), but in the Fan won't stop - What is a normal system temp? thread i gave my solution to the noisy fan problem, here's the quote :

No i don't think that this will solve the problem at all.

For example, the NAS was the last 2 days not in use, the case is opened already and the room temperature is about 22°, so the temperature near and inside the NAS can not be that much higher at the moment, but fan is running.
I don't know to which temperatur an external fan should cool this down to stop internal fan at all......

I found something interessting in the Recent Activities list:

It says that today at 10.49 the fan-control was set to Auto(Low/High), i think the NAS is doing this on his own, cause at this time I wasn't at home at all........how can that be?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 03:21:24 AM by Torro14 »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 07:35:04 AM »

What do you have the fan set at on the 'Management' -> 'System Management' -> 'Power Management' -> 'Fan Control Settings'?

To have the fan shut down you need that setting to be 'Auto(Off / Low / High)', anything else will have the fan running all the time.  If you change the setting don't forget to 'Save Settings'.

It might also be advisable to check the 'System Temperature Threshold' under 'System Settings'.

Torro14

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 12:49:13 PM »

What do you have the fan set at on the 'Management' -> 'System Management' -> 'Power Management' -> 'Fan Control Settings'?

To have the fan shut down you need that setting to be 'Auto(Off / Low / High)', anything else will have the fan running all the time.  If you change the setting don't forget to 'Save Settings'.

It might also be advisable to check the 'System Temperature Threshold' under 'System Settings'.

I set it to OFF/LOW/HIGH, but it seems that the NAS automatically changes to LOW/HIGH various times.....
System Temperatur Threshold is for complete shutdown, not for hibernate/fan.....

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 05:27:46 PM »

Do you ever see 'Set fan speed to 'Stop'' in the Recent Activities panel?

Our units usually show just 'Low' and 'Stop'.  In fact we seldom see a 'High' and that is usually during the full backup of the servers.

One other thing I should mention, we are running firmware v 2.0. 

Torro14

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 11:13:10 PM »

Is use 2.02. The "stop" command in Recent Activities I only see directly after changing fan mode to OFF/LOW/HIGH, but within 5min later it is changing to LOW.....

A good example is the Recent Activities list from yesterday evening:   

Sep 5 21:58:30 Set Fan Speed To "Low".
   Sep 5 21:53:11 Set Fan Speed To "Stop".
   Sep 5 21:53:10 Set Fan-Control Mode To "Auto(Low/High)".   
        Sep 5 21:52:04 CIFS: [192.168.178.29] connected to [Volume_1] as user [nobody].
   Sep 5 21:52:04 CIFS: Authentication for user [Thomas] has FAILED.
   Sep 5 21:49:30 CIFS: [192.168.178.29] closed the connection to service [Volume_1].
   Sep 5 21:38:31 CIFS: [192.168.178.29] connected to [Volume_1] as user [nobody].
   Sep 5 21:38:31 CIFS: Authentication for user [Thomas] has FAILED.
   Sep 5 13:05:40 Set Fan Speed To "Low".

As u can see, there is no "Admin logged in", but the NAS changes FAN-Control mode to Auto(Low/High) on its own.....why?IS the NAS the ADMIN or am I?
Another thing is, i haven't ever seen any command like "send HDD to hibernate", I don't know if this event throws an log?

priitv8

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 01:34:35 AM »

Another thing is, i haven't ever seen any command like "send HDD to hibernate", I don't know if this event throws an log?
You won't see much more than log-in and fan speed messages in the log of this device!

Torro14

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 08:26:49 AM »

You won't see much more than log-in and fan speed messages in the log of this device!

Ok thx for this information.

I observed the Recent Activities list for some days now and I have an idea what is going wrong in the firmware. The order of the always the same:

1.Fan is set to STOP after loggin in
2.Within 5-10min of running HDDs it is changed to LOW
3. Fan is running on LOW till someone is accessing the HDD, then the fan is set to STOP
4.Within 5-10min of running HDDs it is changed to LOW
5. Fan is running on LOW till someone is accessing the HDD, then the fan is set to STOP

=> here starts the endless loop.

I guess the firmware is not checking the temperature when the HDDs have gone to hibernate, so fan is running in LOW till someone accessing the NAS.......

I use other NAS systems and non of them has such problems with the fan, I don't understand that this is not improved by DLINK......

hongaun

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 09:15:37 AM »

This is my current fan log...

Sep 6
16:20:53
Set Fan Speed To "Stop".
Sep 6
16:45:13
Set Fan Speed To "Low".
Sep 6
17:48:42
Set Fan Speed To "Stop".
Sep 6
18:15:10
Set Fan Speed To "Low".
Sep 6
19:03:51
Set Fan Speed To "Stop".
Sep 6
19:34:33
Set Fan Speed To "Low".
Sep 6
20:18:59
Set Fan Speed To "Stop".
Sep 6
20:47:33
Set Fan Speed To "Low".
Sep 6
21:26:42
Set Fan Speed To "Stop".
Sep 6
21:55:17
Set Fan Speed To "Low".

It goes from Stop to Low definitely not in 5-10 mins as you stated....do u see the same occuring in my logs?

My hibernate setting is set to the default 1 hour.

Torro14

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 09:32:53 AM »

I don't see the same thing in your log.

But I will change the hibernate sleep time to 1h and check whats happening.

hongaun

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 10:27:48 AM »

fyi im running on 2.02 same as urs, thought mine was upgraded from 2.00

Torro14

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 11:26:44 PM »

Tested several things without positiv result:

-Changed hibernate time to 30min and 1h, without changes
-Downgraded from 2.03 to 2.02 without changes

Logs are always the same, if the fan changes one time from STOP to LOW it stays there, till I access the NAS or Login.

I saw that under Device Information the System Temp is 111F/44°, which can not be true, case is opened and environment is about 21°, and the NAS was not in use the whole night.

hongaun

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 11:37:25 PM »

Hmmm...well my HDD temp is at 0C/34F...the readings are definitely wrong but could well contribute to the fan speed able to change to stop.

sorry cant help u much there...

Torro14

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 12:53:37 AM »

Tonight at 1:30 I had to shut down the NAS completely cause fan was running on HIGH(at 44°), the noise was so loud we can listen to it in the sleeping room......

This morning I restarted it and it showed me a temperature of about 46°, but the fan is in stop mode.

How can that be? Tonight it was 2° cooler and running nonstop on high?And now it is OFF?But for how long....

I can't believe that I'm the only one which is f***ed off with this problem, as many of this problems can be found in the internet.
Pages: [1] 2