• April 16, 2024, 02:51:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: DCS-933L - Firmware v1.02b5 - Comments & Observations  (Read 64362 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DCS-933L - Firmware v1.02b5 - Comments & Observations
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 07:25:34 AM »

With all respect but this idea is completely useless since the scrambled blocks and lines sometimes fills half of the view. Did you ever saw the problem? I can give you video and photos. I asked many times for experiences from D-Link about this problem and also about the other older 932 cam. All without any reaction. If you think I still have any kind or trust in D-Link, the answer is zero. I bought a cam to use the specs D-Link is giving. I cannot use it the way D-Link is telling the whole world. I only can use the lowest and baddest quality. Isn't it terrible. You think I ever buy a D-Link thing again! Never. The baddest thing is the complete lack of support. >:(

D-Link is aware of what users are reporting on this thread, and there's only so much we can offer through this forum in the way of support and remediation. Since your concerns (satisfaction and otherwise) extend beyond the reach of this forum, I recommend contacting D-Link Technical Support: 1-888-851-6464.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

HWAM

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2014, 07:27:40 AM »

D-Link is aware of what users are reporting on this thread, and there's only so much we can offer through this forum in the way of support and remediation. Since your concerns (satisfaction and otherwise) extend beyond the reach of this forum, I recommend contacting D-Link Technical Support: 1-888-851-6464.

You did that before...

Who is going to pay the phone costs. More expensive than buy a decent cam from another brand.
What kind of service is that. Ever heard of support via mail or internet.

Sorry. >:(

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2014, 07:31:51 AM »

Who is going to pay the phone costs. More expensive than buy a decent cam from another brand.
What kind of service is that. Ever heard of support via mail or internet.

Sorry. >:(

D-Link USA technical support is a toll free number (i.e. no phone costs) for users calling within the United States. D-Link also offers email-based support, but I find the live phone support more responsive.  ;)

Sad User

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2014, 06:39:06 AM »

:( I used to be a very happy D-Link customer... until the time of this last firmware upgrade that has totally screwed up my home security.  I currently have 10 dlink IP cameras.  This includes the 932 and 933 models.  The 932 models do not show any issue (as they do not relate to the same firmware).  The 933 models are the ones where I see this issue... false detection.  I have also bought new models which show the same issue.  Occurrence depends on model but 3-5 times per hour on average.  You multiply this by days and my 7 models and this is no longer acceptable.

I have tried the d-link technical support thru telephone and they have been of no help.  It takes over an hour to explain the entire situation and then they give you a case number at the end saying they cannot resolve the issue over the phone.  But that they will let someone over there know.

What I would recommend is that we spread the word... to be specific relay the facts.  Customers buying this product should know what they are getting.  As I got my products from Amazon, Best Buy and Office Depot, I will shortly relay my feedback thru these sites.  I recommend everyone reading this to do the same if they are experiencing this same issue. 

At the same time if dlink does fix the issue we need to be fair and relay this in all of the sites where we post.

In the US, I guess it is the Mass Media that will drive improvement.

Again, I used to love dlink...

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2014, 09:37:47 AM »

:( I used to be a very happy D-Link customer... until the time of this last firmware upgrade that has totally screwed up my home security.  I currently have 10 dlink IP cameras.  This includes the 932 and 933 models.  The 932 models do not show any issue (as they do not relate to the same firmware).  The 933 models are the ones where I see this issue... false detection.  I have also bought new models which show the same issue.  Occurrence depends on model but 3-5 times per hour on average.  You multiply this by days and my 7 models and this is no longer acceptable.

I have tried the d-link technical support thru telephone and they have been of no help.  It takes over an hour to explain the entire situation and then they give you a case number at the end saying they cannot resolve the issue over the phone.  But that they will let someone over there know.

What I would recommend is that we spread the word... to be specific relay the facts.  Customers buying this product should know what they are getting.  As I got my products from Amazon, Best Buy and Office Depot, I will shortly relay my feedback thru these sites.  I recommend everyone reading this to do the same if they are experiencing this same issue. 

At the same time if dlink does fix the issue we need to be fair and relay this in all of the sites where we post.

In the US, I guess it is the Mass Media that will drive improvement.

Again, I used to love dlink...

Do the image/video captures from the false detections contain anything that would indicate the cause? i.e. image artifacts, shifting, etc... Please elaborate.

Sad User

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2014, 10:13:32 AM »

The issue is the same as the ones given by others. 

* Issue is occurring for only DCS-933L
* There are constant false detection notice that are sent
* There are two types of photos which I receive:
   - Those with the 6 photos that show no difference
   - Scenario where of the 6 photos one of them shows a "static" type image
     often where the photo left side is showing on the right side.
* This was not occurring earlier as I was able to use this with no issue.  The only
   change has been in the firmware.
* I have tried repositioning the units.  The DCS-933L has this issue where when
  I position a DCS-932L in the same location there is no issue.
* This issue does not occur for the DCS-932L which works perfectly fine
* I bought a new DCS-933L yesterday from Best Buy to see if it was unit specific.
  The same issue is occurring for the new model.
* I have also bought and changed my Netgear router after the detection of this
   issue to the new D Link router 868L.  Issue does not change.
* I have conducted the following as well: Default to factory settings, upgrade of
   firmware, the issue continues to occur.
* Have changed setting from H.264 as well as to MJPEG.  Issue continues.
* The issue occurs for all three of the DCS-933L which I have used.  Two from my original
   purchase around June of last year and the other which I bought yesterday at Best Buy.

This is a very big issue as if I just use my previous setting, where I would only receive motion detection about 2-3 times a day has multiplied to close to 100 for each camera.

Hope D-Link can work this out and fast.

Let me know if you require additional info.

pieter1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2014, 08:06:29 AM »

It's nice that Dlink is aware of the issue, probably every camera is affected with this... The next step is to resolve this issue with a firmware update:
- Track the source of the issue (reproduction is not that hard) -> Is anybody working on this?
- When issue is in software -> It can be fixed with a FW update
- When issue is in hardware -> Make a work-around (e.g. require at least 2 frames of motion)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2014, 08:56:26 AM »

It's nice that Dlink is aware of the issue, probably every camera is affected with this... The next step is to resolve this issue with a firmware update:
- Track the source of the issue (reproduction is not that hard) -> Is anybody working on this?
- When issue is in software -> It can be fixed with a FW update
- When issue is in hardware -> Make a work-around (e.g. require at least 2 frames of motion)

A few days ago I completed a test where I successfully replicated this issue on a DCS-931L.  Over a five day period, I encountered one instance of image artifacts: 7 images over a 2 hour period that caused false motion detection triggers.

During the five day period, the DCS-931L pushed approximately 11,500 screen captures to FTP storage. Except for the 7 images in question, all 11,500 images were generated from valid motion detection events. This is not to discount reports from other members stating that they've encountered this issue with greater frequency. This inconsistency leads me to ask the question: Is the cause firmware, environmental (i.e. some form of interference), or hardware?

???  :-*  ???

I passed my findings, as well as all of the related DCS-931L and DCS-933L links, to D-Link.  I'll post back if I hear anything.  ;)

As an FYI, aside from posting in this forum, D-Link often escalates issues based on the quantity of reports they receive through their support desk. A large volume of tickets with the same issue raises a flag. You may want to log this issue with technical support for that reason alone: 1-888-851-6464
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:02:55 AM by JavaLawyer »

Sad User

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2014, 11:03:36 AM »

Here is some additional info relating to my tracking of the issue.

I set up last night 5 D-Link Cameras:

1) DCS-933L Unit 1 Bought in May/Jun 2013 Positioned Outside
2) DCS-933L Unit 2 Bought in May/Jun 2014 Positioned Inside towards ceiling
3) DCS-933L Unit 3 Bought Just last week Positioned Inside towards ceiling
4) DCS-5020L Positioned inside room
5) DCS-932L Bought in May/Jun 2013 Stairs

Changed settings to all of these (excluding DCS-932L) to be

H.264: Res 640x480, 2Mbps, 20 frames
MJPEG: Res 640x480, Jpeg Quality: High, Frame Rate: Auto
Default View Mode: Image
Motion Detection Sensitivity: 40%

Conducted test from 9:15PM to 10:30AM (US Central Time  :))

I then EXCLUDED all notifications that showed motion or light change in the photos. 

Here are the results:

1) DCS-933L Unit 1 (Outdoor)
    24 false motion detection notifications
    1 of the false notifications included static image

2) DCS-933L Unit 2 (Study Ceiling) 
    15 False motion detection notifications
    3 of the false notifications included static images
    2 of the 15 may be due to very slight light change

3) DCS-933L Unit 2 (Dining Room Ceiling)
    9 false motion detection notifications
    2 of the false notification included static images
    1 of the 9 may be due to very slight light change

4) DCS-5020L (Side view of non-used game room)
    2 false motion detection notifications
    Note: prior to dropping the sensitivity from 50% down to 40%
    false notification was occurring more frequently.

5) DCS-932L (Stairs)
    0 false motion detection notifications.
    All were actual motion notification and there were no notifications during the night.
    Note: The DCS-932 settings are currently as shown below:
    JPEG (only selection) 640x480, FPS:Auto, JPEG Quality: Very High, View Mode: Image
    Motion Detection Sensitivity: 63%

Additional Note:
* Previously I had to set my motion detection sensitivity at about 60-70 percent in order to detect proper motion.  Based on my findings on the current firmware/model seems to need this dropped significantly lower in order to properly operate.  I still need to test the sensitivity based on the 40% to see if actual motion can be captured correctly.  If there is a change in sensitivity when comparing previous to now, DLink should let their customers know.

* I have started a second test run setting the percentage to 37%,  Will update once tested.  During the first hour I have received 5 email notifications from only Unit 1 (DCS 933L Outside scenario).  Of these 1 of the notices has a static image.

Will add more as I conduct further testing.  Seems though that his static image showing up indicates a problem with either the hardware or firmware of both.

Let me know on what you detect thru these findings.

Sad User

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2014, 11:09:03 AM »

Just as an additional note on my previous findings.  The false notifications do not include the actual motion triggered emails.  The numbers are the count of cases where I could not detect any change in the image photos or where there were static images included.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2014, 12:52:26 PM »

Just as an additional note on my previous findings.  The false notifications do not include the actual motion triggered emails.  The numbers are the count of cases where I could not detect any change in the image photos or where there were static images included.

Thank you for your detailed findings/results. Hopefully we'll hear some positive news.  ;)

Sad User

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2014, 10:22:53 PM »

Based on further investigation, here are some factual info to add to my previous comments.

The DCS-933L models have EXTREME sensitivity.  In my following tests, I lowered all of the motion detection settings to 25%, the lowest you can set without going into Advanced Settings.  This was still too sensitive.  By lowering the setting to about 10-20% has reduced the number of emails (with photos) significantly but where there will still be non-motion notifications.  It is totally ridiculous as I cannot set the motion sensitivity level from the main setting screen as it will not allow me to move it to the level required as it is so low (lowest allowed is the 25%).

Note that after adjusting my DCS-5020L to 30% I have had no non-motion triggered email issues.  I have this issues only with the DCS-933L units.

The email notices are supposed to be 300 sec apart but this function is not working.  This is the same for all of my 933L models as well as for the 5020L model.  There seems to be a flaw in the firmware.  For quite a few of the notifications each day, they come with about 3-4 emails which all come in within the same 1-2 minutes.  This occurs in many cases when the static image email is sent but not always.

I also put in some AC noise filters for the cameras which I was testing to see if this would reduce occurrence.  This did help reduce some of the non-motion notices but my guess is that the sensitivity is still too extreme and so it may be where the noise filter is helping to band aid existing sensitivity issue.  I have DCS932 units which work fine without the noise filters.

The occurrence of the non-motion triggered notification is about 19 within 12 hours for the 3 DCS933L units.(excluding the motion triggered notices).  Of these about 50% have the static images.  The occurrence of the static images has not really changed compared to previously when I had the sensitivity set to be higher.

In summary, my assumption on what DLink needs to get fixed are:

* Motion Sensitivity being too sensitive for the DCS933L
* Static images occurring for the DCS933L
* Multiple emails being triggered within the same minute (although the setting to allow this compared to before would be good).  This in my test is not just for the DCS933L but also for the DCS5030L.

The 933L seems to be a very bad and unacceptable model compared to the 932L.  I hope that DLink is able to fix this.  I am returning two of the units tomorrow to Best Buy.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2014, 06:47:41 AM »

Based on further investigation, here are some factual info to add to my previous comments.

The DCS-933L models have EXTREME sensitivity.  In my following tests, I lowered all of the motion detection settings to 25%, the lowest you can set without going into Advanced Settings.  This was still too sensitive.  By lowering the setting to about 10-20% has reduced the number of emails (with photos) significantly but where there will still be non-motion notifications.  It is totally ridiculous as I cannot set the motion sensitivity level from the main setting screen as it will not allow me to move it to the level required as it is so low (lowest allowed is the 25%).

Note that after adjusting my DCS-5020L to 30% I have had no non-motion triggered email issues.  I have this issues only with the DCS-933L units.

The email notices are supposed to be 300 sec apart but this function is not working.  This is the same for all of my 933L models as well as for the 5020L model.  There seems to be a flaw in the firmware.  For quite a few of the notifications each day, they come with about 3-4 emails which all come in within the same 1-2 minutes.  This occurs in many cases when the static image email is sent but not always.

I also put in some AC noise filters for the cameras which I was testing to see if this would reduce occurrence.  This did help reduce some of the non-motion notices but my guess is that the sensitivity is still too extreme and so it may be where the noise filter is helping to band aid existing sensitivity issue.  I have DCS932 units which work fine without the noise filters.

The occurrence of the non-motion triggered notification is about 19 within 12 hours for the 3 DCS933L units.(excluding the motion triggered notices).  Of these about 50% have the static images.  The occurrence of the static images has not really changed compared to previously when I had the sensitivity set to be higher.

In summary, my assumption on what DLink needs to get fixed are:

* Motion Sensitivity being too sensitive for the DCS933L
* Static images occurring for the DCS933L
* Multiple emails being triggered within the same minute (although the setting to allow this compared to before would be good).  This in my test is not just for the DCS933L but also for the DCS5030L.

The 933L seems to be a very bad and unacceptable model compared to the 932L.  I hope that DLink is able to fix this.  I am returning two of the units tomorrow to Best Buy.

when you say "static images", are you referring to screen captures with image artifacts (i.e. distortions or shifted frames)?

Sad User

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2014, 05:04:30 AM »

Yes.  These are images with the left shifting to right or right sometimes to left and with the entire screen looking like pieces of brick due to digital distortion.  This only occurs for one of the six photos sent when the issue occurs.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2014, 07:47:44 AM »

Yes.  These are images with the left shifting to right or right sometimes to left and with the entire screen looking like pieces of brick due to digital distortion.  This only occurs for one of the six photos sent when the issue occurs.

Yes, the corrupt image seems to be triggering the motion detection event and then the remaining "normal" images are generated as per the number specified in the user configured Emal/FTP settings.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5