• March 19, 2024, 02:58:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Dlink 4100 question  (Read 4957 times)

mavalos88

• Level 1 Member
Dlink 4100 question
« on: July 24, 2009, 10:11:04 PM »

Hi guys,

I have a question about the D-Link 4100 router. I am a heavy PC and PS3 gamer.
I have a really crappy modem that my ISP gave me, I get disconected pretty often and my internet connection isn't stable at all. I know it's the modem because the last modem I had worked fine, when it was replaced to this new one, everything started going wrong.
This is a router/modem by the way.

My question is, is there any point on getting the D-Link 4100 router if I have this crappy modem? Or does the D-Link 4100 act as a modem also? Or is it only a router?
If it's only a router, what would you guys recommend on me getting to get the most out of my internet connection (what modem should I get in order to get the most out of the D-Link 4100 router?).

I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
Re: Dlink 4100 question
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 01:43:39 AM »

What is your ISP?

As for your questions:  You need to set your Gateway into Bridge mode, so it will ONLY act as a modem.

Your DGL-4100 is ONLY a router, and nothing more.

mavalos88

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 09:38:42 AM »

I live in Mexico, my ISP is Prodigy. They gave ma Thomson TG585 modem/router.
Thanks for clarifying my question about the DGL-4100.

I still don't understand though, if my Thomson modem/router is giving me connection problems, will those persist even in bridge mode? Or are those problems caused by the integrated router the Thomson has?

Thanks so much for your quick reply!

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 10:08:12 AM »

It sounds like you could have line problems, or really just a bad modem.  Yes, the problems may persist.  It doesn't sound like a double-NAT problem either. (which either way, i recommended putting your gateway into bridge mode)

I didn't know Thompson still made gateways and/or modems.  Either way, if you are having problems you need to contact your ISP and tell them to send a tech out due to line attenuation problems.

mavalos88

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 10:16:22 AM »

Thanks for your advice!