• March 19, 2024, 04:37:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: I'm experiencing problems with my router  (Read 4992 times)

4ener

• Level 1 Member
I'm experiencing problems with my router
« on: April 02, 2015, 12:18:09 PM »

I'm experiencing problems with my router, some of which I've had resolved with the help of the folks on the chat lines. A couple of particular issues have not and I'm hoping someone out there can steer me in the right direction.

First of all, the firmware is completely up to date, my connection is DSL, with static IP, constantly get 4.5 to 5.2 Mbps Down and 0.4 to 0.7 Up........ issues are as follows:

1 Router doesn't seem to want to always connect after a disconnect. I have to go through the process on the Home Page of Fixing the Connection several times before reconnecting. Sometimes having to reset the router and setting up fresh..... I've done this weekly plus since getting the router on March 12.

2 Packet loss is a problem with the router to the point of frustration at times.  Web pages load slowly, streaming stutters and online gaming is, well difficult at best.

3 Devices connecting wireless get dropped and sometimes can't connect.

I've never has issues like this with a router before now. But I do like to have the latest computer gadgets when I can afford them, always expecting some issues, but not all this.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: I'm experiencing problems with my router
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 12:46:40 PM »

Link>Welcome!

• Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?
  • Was a Factory Reset performed before and after any firmware updates then set up from scratch?
>FW Update Process
  • Was the router working before any firmware updates?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • By-pass the main host router and check internet connection by connecting a wired LAN PC directly to the ISP modem to verify connection access and ISP speeds.
  • Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values
  • For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.
  • If the ISP modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works. Call the ISP and ask to see if the ISP modem can be bridged. To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged. If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ. Also check the routers DHCP IP address maybe conflicting with the ISP modems IP address of 192.168.0.1. Check to see if this is the same on the ISP modem, and if modem can't be bridged, change the DIR router to 192.168.1.1 or .0.254.
    Example of a D-Link router configured for PPPoE with ISP Modem bridged: PPPoE Configuration on a Router

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For DSL or Fiber service lines, ensure that the ISP is using good working phone or cable lines to the DSL modem and that the phone lines are filtered correctly. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. I recommend having the ISP service physically check the lines going from the out side to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.
  • WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Ensure that different SSID names are used between each WiFi 2.4/5Ghz radios. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighbouring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • For routers with Smart Connect Technology , try disabling this feature and test. Under Wireless.
  • 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N or AC on 5Ghz?
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. 13 for EU regions. Try channel 48 or 149 on 5Ghz.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • What wireless devices do you have connected?
  • Ensure any devices with WiFi adapter drivers are updated.
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many? Use v3, its free.

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/31083-smallnetbuilders-wireless-faq-the-essentials
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

4ener

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 07:36:11 AM »

I have some questions regarding how to separately isolate the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless sides on the 890L, I can't find a means of doing it in the new GUI?

Also, when trying to forward ports on this router I type in the TCP and UDP numbers, apply and save and the remaining rule count stays at 15 with no ports being forwarded.  How do you fix this?

This router is starting to frustrate the hell out of me, I've never seen anything like it.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 03:06:09 PM »

You can disable Smart Connect if this is what your looking for to use the radios separately with different SSID names.

Please give feedback to the questions presented so we can better help you with your router.

Thank you.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

4ener

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 06:15:59 AM »

What specifically are you looking for in terms of feedback?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 07:20:22 AM »

Any status on this?  ???

I'm experiencing problems with my router, some of which I've had resolved with the help of the folks on the chat lines. A couple of particular issues have not and I'm hoping someone out there can steer me in the right direction.

First of all, the firmware is completely up to date, my connection is DSL, with static IP, constantly get 4.5 to 5.2 Mbps Down and 0.4 to 0.7 Up........ issues are as follows:

1 Router doesn't seem to want to always connect after a disconnect. I have to go through the process on the Home Page of Fixing the Connection several times before reconnecting. Sometimes having to reset the router and setting up fresh..... I've done this weekly plus since getting the router on March 12.

2 Packet loss is a problem with the router to the point of frustration at times.  Web pages load slowly, streaming stutters and online gaming is, well difficult at best.

3 Devices connecting wireless get dropped and sometimes can't connect.

I've never has issues like this with a router before now. But I do like to have the latest computer gadgets when I can afford them, always expecting some issues, but not all this.