• April 24, 2024, 04:57:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Speed issue  (Read 13762 times)

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
Re: Speed issue
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 07:20:27 AM »

OK ...Now connected
     NAS ----> Ethernet sw <---- PC
File transfer speed  ~11.2MB/s

So no change.

As to question of Ethernet cards .... it is the same of 3 separate PC's ... but for example one I am doing the test with is an ASUS P8Z77-V LE  motherboard with Realtek 8111F GigE

Connected CAT5 to Dynamode SW80010 100MB Ethernet switch

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 07:24:58 AM »

I can't test NAS direct connect to PC as it does not support that type of connection has to be via router or switch.

Have you tried it?

IF you know what you're doing, you can connect any two computers to one another via their Ethernet ports and transfer data between them with just an Ethernet cable - no switch or router required.

The Ethernet port on the DNS-323 is "auto-mdix" - D-Link has made this so simple that if you take a brand new unit out of the box, stick a drive in it, plug one end of an Ethernet cable into it, plug the other end into a PC running Windows XP or later, turn them both on and run the D-Link easy setup utility, the utility will let you find, configure and use the DNS-323.

RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 07:56:18 AM »

Yes I have tried it ... it does not work.

Maybe there are configurations changes that 'may' make it work, but it does not work with Auto-Discovery utility on CD

In fact I have a note from D-Link when I first bought it that advise that you must not connect direct to PC as it requires to be via Switch/Router or Hub in order to work.
Can't remember why but think it was something to do with DNS entry.

In any event it is not a configuration I could use in practise.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 08:21:33 AM »

Have you tried it?

IF you know what you're doing, you can connect any two computers to one another via their Ethernet ports and transfer data between them with just an Ethernet cable - no switch or router required.

The Ethernet port on the DNS-323 is "auto-mdix" - D-Link has made this so simple that if you take a brand new unit out of the box, stick a drive in it, plug one end of an Ethernet cable into it, plug the other end into a PC running Windows XP or later, turn them both on and run the D-Link easy setup utility, the utility will let you find, configure and use the DNS-323.

The DNS is not meant to be connected like that. On the other hand, if you need another Drive, simply buy an external Hard Drive and connect it via an USB Cable.

The DNS-323 is meant to be used for storage and a FTP Server, if set up for it.

One can simple use Explorer to copy and move files from the computer to any folder on the Hard Drives within the DNS-323.
thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 09:12:47 AM »

appreciate its not supposed to be connected that way, and have no need or desire to do so. I was just responding to Fordem who was asking me if I had tried connecting that way.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 09:32:53 AM »

IF you were to connect the DNS directly with out a router, your PC would need to be set up for static IP addressing...
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 12:42:24 PM »

The DNS is not meant to be connected like that. On the other hand, if you need another Drive, simply buy an external Hard Drive and connect it via an USB Cable.

The DNS-323 is meant to be used for storage and a FTP Server, if set up for it.

One can simple use Explorer to copy and move files from the computer to any folder on the Hard Drives within the DNS-323.

Apparently you haven't been following the thread - which is an attempt to identify the cause of a "speed issue" - what better way to eliminate a router/modem/switch as a possible cause than to remove it altogether.

Whilst the DNS-323 was not meant to be used that way, it can be used that way, and in fact, my initial jumbo frame gigabit speed testing was done exactly like that because I wanted to determine whether the potential improvement warranted my buying a switch that supported jumbo frame.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 12:56:43 PM »

IF you were to connect the DNS directly with out a router, your PC would need to be set up for static IP addressing...

First - I was very specific as to which versions of Windows could be used - XP or later - if configured for dynamic addressing and there is no DHCP server available, will use what is known as an APIPA address, a 169.254.x.x address - the exact address is of no relevance because the setup utility will discover the NAS using a network broadcast.

Second - once the NAS has been discovered, the utility allows you to set an ip address and then configure it - and since the NAS has a DHCP server, you can enable that, and continue to have your PC set for dynamic addressing.

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 02:16:15 PM »

Guys not wanting to stop debate ... but as I will never use NAS to PC direct, it would not seem that critical to argue about what could be made to work.
I would use the NAS  either

NAS ---> Switch ---> Modem/Router <--- PC

OR

NAS --->  Modem/Router <--- PC

To confirm my PC's are W7 devices, and all connection are wired Ethernet.
I have dynamic DNS & IP adressing.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 02:27:39 PM »

Apparently you haven't been following the thread - which is an attempt to identify the cause of a "speed issue" - what better way to eliminate a router/modem/switch as a possible cause than to remove it altogether.

Whilst the DNS-323 was not meant to be used that way, it can be used that way, and in fact, my initial jumbo frame gigabit speed testing was done exactly like that because I wanted to determine whether the potential improvement warranted my buying a switch that supported jumbo frame.

Hi fordem,

Testing or not,  one can't tell if it is heat related or not, by testing out of the norm. And turning off and on and changing the configuration.
thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2014, 02:29:56 PM »

Guys not wanting to stop debate ... but as I will never use NAS to PC direct, it would not seem that critical to argue about what could be made to work.
I would use the NAS  either

NAS ---> Switch ---> Modem/Router <--- PC

OR

NAS --->  Modem/Router <--- PC

To confirm my PC's are W7 devices, and all connection are wired Ethernet.
I have dynamic DNS & IP adressing.

Hi Memnon,

Are you using the DNS-323 as a FTP Server as well?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2014, 07:34:45 PM »

A direct connection may not be the way you want to run the DNS-323, but it would have served my purpose, the key to diagnosing a problem is to simplify - to remove all but the necessary items - had you done that you would have known whether you should be focusing your investigation on the network or on the end point.

I'm not going to stick around where I'm not wanted, so I'll leave you to your debate, but before I go, there's something I want to show you ...

As you can see, the DNS-323 is capable of disk reads exceeding 27Mbyte/sec (roughly 250 mbit/sec) & writes in excess of 17Mbyte/sec (150 mbit/sec) - obviously you'll need to be running a gigabit network to achieve this sort of performance, and Memnon, this was done with a 32bit system at the other end.

When I say the DNS-323 is unlikely to be the cause of your speed issues, I'm 99% serious.

Oh - the details of the image can be found here.

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 01:11:17 AM »

Hi Memnon,

Are you using the DNS-323 as a FTP Server as well?

Not currently, and don't have plans.

Memnon

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 10:40:37 AM »

Anything else I can try .... only running at 11 MB/s seems very slow on a wired 100MB etherent connection

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 12:07:01 PM »

Anything else I can try .... only running at 11 MB/s seems very slow on a wired 100MB etherent connection

Hi Memnon,

That's your problem. Wired at 100 MB.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=200

That is TigerDirect. Buy a Gigabyte Ethernet Card or an USB Hi Speed Adapter, if you don't know how to add a card, internally to the computer.

It is up to you. You don't have a Connection to support a higher speed.

And with a Gigabyte Connection, you will get a higher speed than from a 100 MB Connection, but you don't get a GigaByte Speed. You also need a Router that is a Gigabyte Router.

Pages: 1 [2]