• March 28, 2024, 05:15:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Constant activity on one of the drives.  (Read 23620 times)

JRBTempe

• Level 1 Member
Re: Constant activity on one of the drives.
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 10:05:35 AM »

What about if the center light is constantly blinking instead of the two drive lights? It happens on and off, doesn't make a lot of sense to me...

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 11:00:31 AM »

According to the manual ...

The center light is the network activity light - so if it's blinking it means there is activity on the network connection.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

JRBTempe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 01:26:53 PM »

Understood, but it will blink for hours on end when there's NO network activity, then be solid for hours on end. Rinse and repeat! Only started doing this after the 1.06 firmware upgrade, so...

Antti

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 02:06:42 PM »

If you have two drives in the unit configured as RAID1 or standard and notice one of the volumes being accessed constantly which is most likely the cause of the unit not going to sleep you may want to try removing that drives and see if the issue goes away. Then test the drive in your PC for the same issue. If you are using RAID1 make sure you volume is in sync and not degraded. This information can be found in the Status page of the DNS-323.

Thanks for getting back to us.

Well, my 2x500g samsung spinpoint drives are in a RAID1.  I've checked the status and it's not degraded.  Haven't been able to remove a drive and test elsewhere as yet, but when I can I will repost with my findings.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 03:55:26 PM »

Understood, but it will blink for hours on end when there's NO network activity, then be solid for hours on end. Rinse and repeat! Only started doing this after the 1.06 firmware upgrade, so...

If we're discussing a backlit icon that looks like three little squares one above a line and the other two below, it is the network activity light, and trust me - if that light is blinking there IS network activity - put a network analyzer on it and see for yourself.

JRBTempe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 05:36:37 AM »

If we're discussing a backlit icon that looks like three little squares one above a line and the other two below, it is the network activity light, and trust me - if that light is blinking there IS network activity - put a network analyzer on it and see for yourself.

Yes, that's the icon I'm referring to... I think I tracked the activity down to a wireless webcam I put up for my baby's crib, so it looks like you are right about that! It never occurred to me that would cause the DNS-323 to blink the activity light, and I probably updated the firmware around the same time as I installed the webcam and that's why I didn't notice. Thanks!

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 06:45:08 AM »

Technically - your wireless webcam shouldn't cause that type of network activity - but it really depends on how your network is built.

Most home networks are built around some sort of consumer router which will typically include a four port network switch and maybe a wireless access point as well - network switches are supposed to keep network traffic separate so the traffic between the webcam and the PC should not reach the NAS and vice versa.

If your network is built using a hub rather than a switch, which could be possible if you have an older model router, then all the traffic would reach all the devices, and you would see activity in places you might not expect.

Most network traffic is sent as "unicast" traffic, "uni" because it is intended for only one recipient, but some may be sent as broadcast, intended for all recipients - excessive levels of broadcast traffic, will show as activity in unexepected places and may be a sign of a larger problem eslewhere.

The trick is in knowing what is expected and what is not - and the only way to really determine what you are seeing is with a network analyzer.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 04:35:22 PM »

If you have two drives in the unit configured as RAID1 or standard and notice one of the volumes being accessed constantly which is most likely the cause of the unit not going to sleep you may want to try removing that drives and see if the issue goes away. Then test the drive in your PC for the same issue. If you are using RAID1 make sure you volume is in sync and not degraded. This information can be found in the Status page of the DNS-323.

Hi ECF,

I just purchase a unit after midnight EST on the 14th. Can you partition the Hard Drive(s) installed in the unit? I will be using the unit with Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3. What file system is being used on the DNS-323 Unit?

With the Constant Activity on the unit, does the DNS-323 do automatic defragmenting of its Hard Drives or is it done manually?

I won't be using it in a Raid Configuration, but Standard configuration. First using just one Hard Drive, then adding a second Hard Drive.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 11:03:28 AM »

Hi ECF,

I just purchase a unit after midnight EST on the 14th. Can you partition the Hard Drive(s) installed in the unit? I will be using the unit with Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3. What file system is being used on the DNS-323 Unit?

With the Constant Activity on the unit, does the DNS-323 do automatic defragmenting of its Hard Drives or is it done manually?

I won't be using it in a Raid Configuration, but Standard configuration. First using just one Hard Drive, then adding a second Hard Drive.

The Drives cannot be partitioned it is formated in Volumes and use the EXT2 Linux file system.

There should not be constant activity on the drives.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

dpweb66

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 03:19:03 PM »

hi
I'm new for this forum
I have same problem for constant activity after upgrade 1.06
I have try for 2 days all suggests of this topic
at 3rd day I downgrade at 1.05 firmware and everything is ok
I think who anything in FW 1.06 don't work fine

I don't have any service actived only share the nas in network for backup data

my config 2 seagate 7200.11 1Tb Raid 1

excuse for my bad english

Dany
from Italy :D

superxoum

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 05:21:11 AM »

Dear All,

For European users I think I found the solution....

The constant disk activity appeared after upgrading to firmware "1.06b65
A few days after I logged again on the European D-Link ftp server and found a new version = "1.06b60"....

I don't know exactly the difference between the 2, but after "upgrading" to "1.06b60" (2 weeks ago) the constant disk activity stopped...

Hope it helps...

Max

dpweb66

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 02:00:34 PM »

Dear All,

For European users I think I found the solution....

The constant disk activity appeared after upgrading to firmware "1.06b65
A few days after I logged again on the European D-Link ftp server and found a new version = "1.06b60"....

I don't know exactly the difference between the 2, but after "upgrading" to "1.06b60" (2 weeks ago) the constant disk activity stopped...

Hope it helps...

Max

Hi Guys!!!!!!

I Solved many problems with this post

is correct I have found correct firmware in french site support ver. 1.06b60
mount this, reset to default and magicaly it's all OK
and I have also correct 1 problem with net mask for ip static setting
my DNS 323 don't accepted net mask 192.168.0.xxx
the cause is because I have installed the VMware bridge virtual adapter
changed the ip static of my netwok with the same segment range of the virtual network in my case 192.168.192.xx
everything OK

KISS KISS KISS

jojesa

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2009, 02:05:04 PM »

I had the same issue as described by some of you guys. Lights on the NAs were flashing constantly and the drives wouldn't stop no matter what I did.
-Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB

I even followed all the tips posted by ECF

I was able to fix it...give a try it might work for you.

1-Upgrade to the latest firmware 1.06
2-Access the NAS web interface and backup the configuration (Save Configuration Settings by the Tools tab under Configuration Settings clic the Save button).
3-Restore the NAS to default settings (Also under Tools tab by Defaults click Restore button next to Restore To Factory Default Settings).
4- Now restore configuration. Under the Tools tab by Load Configuration Settings click the Browse button and load the configuration you saved on step 2, then click the Load button to restore the old configuration.

After these steps the drives on the NAS only spin when I using them and so does the LED lights.

Credo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 07:57:21 PM »

I had the same issue as described by some of you guys. Lights on the NAs were flashing constantly and the drives wouldn't stop no matter what I did.
-Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB

I even followed all the tips posted by ECF

I was able to fix it...give a try it might work for you.

1-Upgrade to the latest firmware 1.06
2-Access the NAS web interface and backup the configuration (Save Configuration Settings by the Tools tab under Configuration Settings clic the Save button).
3-Restore the NAS to default settings (Also under Tools tab by Defaults click Restore button next to Restore To Factory Default Settings).
4- Now restore configuration. Under the Tools tab by Load Configuration Settings click the Browse button and load the configuration you saved on step 2, then click the Load button to restore the old configuration.

After these steps the drives on the NAS only spin when I using them and so does the LED lights.

Thanks for the update.  I tried this exact thing.  I backed up my original configuration - and restored to factory defaults.  From that point there was no more HDD flashing (It's always the right LED) - So I was all excited that it fixed it.

As soon as I restored the configuration file I created, the light started flashing again.  BOO!!! So close.

I'm just going to try and restore to the factory settings, and slowly build up to what I had in my file - maybe I can find the culprit.

Thanks for the heads up though, I think this put me on the right track.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 10:59:04 AM »

Thanks for the update.  I tried this exact thing.  I backed up my original configuration - and restored to factory defaults.  From that point there was no more HDD flashing (It's always the right LED) - So I was all excited that it fixed it.

As soon as I restored the configuration file I created, the light started flashing again.  BOO!!! So close.

I'm just going to try and restore to the factory settings, and slowly build up to what I had in my file - maybe I can find the culprit.

Thanks for the heads up though, I think this put me on the right track.

Please keep us updated if you find the culprit.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream
Pages: 1 [2] 3