• April 18, 2024, 12:03:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: need setup help  (Read 6865 times)

lbautista23

• Level 1 Member
need setup help
« on: August 25, 2010, 02:17:25 AM »

Just bought the router. Followed the disc setup instructns. Always get a no internet connection message. But my modem works so does the router. Whats going on. Switching from linkys router. I have comcast cable modem. Why isn't it working

!!!!clarkkent

• Level 3 Member
Re: need setup help
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 02:32:38 AM »

Did you run the CD while your computer was connected to the modem?
"A mighty sword is useless in the hands of a coward!"

LookIntoMyEyees

• Level 5 Member
  • Let me lend you a hand & solutions shall follow.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 08:14:30 AM »

Just bought the router. Followed the disc setup instructns. Always get a no internet connection message. But my modem works so does the router. Whats going on. Switching from linkys router. I have comcast cable modem. Why isn't it working

Remember you must reboot the modem when configuring it to the Dgl 4500. After doing that the modem should pair up with the Dgl 4500. Good luck, any further issues just report back here.

--
Chris
Did I Help? If So, Say So! ShHHhh!, Just LookIntoMyEyees! No one is perfect, we all make mistakes.

lbautista23

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 08:36:35 AM »

I ran the disc while connected to the linksys and modem. What you mean re boot? Sorry im a total noob

zippoking

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 08:58:44 AM »

unplug it, wait 30 sec, plug it back in.  There's no switch on these routers.

LookIntoMyEyees

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 09:08:31 AM »

I ran the disc while connected to the linksys and modem. What you mean re boot? Sorry im a total noob

Wait are you connecting the Dgl 4500 into a linksys router? than from the linksys to the modem? If so that is a bad set up. Your suppose to connect the DGl 4500 into the modem. What I meant by reboot was to unplug the modem and plug it back in, but wait a few seconds before plugging it back in.

--
Chris
Did I Help? If So, Say So! ShHHhh!, Just LookIntoMyEyees! No one is perfect, we all make mistakes.

lbautista23

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 09:22:03 AM »

Wait are you connecting the Dgl 4500 into a linksys router? than from the linksys to the modem? If so that is a bad set up. Your suppose to connect the DGl 4500 into the modem. What I meant by reboot was to unplug the modem and plug it back in, but wait a few seconds before plugging it back in.

--
Chris

No I had the previous router setup then followed the ins from the disc telling me to switch all the wires over.

zippoking

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 10:52:53 AM »

To be sure, is the modem connected to the WAN port (different color than the others).  Also there's a setting for WAN speed, should probably be set to auto, I don't recall off the top of my head which tab that setting is under.

LookIntoMyEyees

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 01:24:22 PM »

No I had the previous router setup then followed the ins from the disc telling me to switch all the wires over.

You haven't told me if you unplugged both the modem and the 4500 and have left it for 30 or more seconds than you have plugged it back in and what did you get? Make sure your wires are properly connected. Also you stated you had another router but with the instruction you have managed to disconnect the other router and set up the 4500? I might sound like I am repeating myself but I am trying to figure out what is wrong here, but I need more input from you otherwise I am lost.

--
Chris

JL6speed

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 01:41:40 PM »

Have you tried Release and Renew the IP? It's right at the STATUS page when you log into the DGL-4500

Trikein

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 09:52:37 PM »

Welcome to my world. ::grin::

Each time your modem starts up, it looks at what it connected to, and then talks to your internet company and registers that device to go online. After hooking up the modem to a new router, if you don't turn the modem up and back on, your internet company will still have the old router on file, and won't allow the new router online. This registration process is crucial, since your not using a username or password. So fallow these steps.

1. Have your modem and router unplugged. The PC should also be turned off.
2. Plug a ethernet wire (looks like a phone cord) from the back of the modem to the gray port marked internet.
3. Plug in the power cord into the modem.
4. Make sure you only have the ethernet, cable, and power cord coming out of the modem. You do NOT want the USB plugged in.
5.Wait until your modem is online. This could be 10 seconds, it could be a couple minuets. There should be lights on the front to tell you when its online. Call your Internet Provider for details.
6. When the modem is online, plug in the power into router. Wait about 30 seconds.
7. Plug in a ethernet line from one of the blue 1-4 ports on the back (doesn't matter which) into your computer.
8. Turn on your computer.

Check the status now.