• April 23, 2024, 06:21:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-323 Time Machine and Lion  (Read 13509 times)

cyberphox

• Level 1 Member
DNS-323 Time Machine and Lion
« on: January 18, 2012, 03:10:07 PM »

I'm about to try and get my DNS-323 working with Time Machine/Lion for the first time. Searched the board but haven't seen a walkthrough/guide for this? I'm sure people have it working?

Wiggs

• Level 3 Member
    • dwithers.com
Re: DNS-323 Time Machine and Lion
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 05:53:24 AM »

I am pretty sure that Time Machine requires the drive to be formatted to MAC OS Extended (Journaled).  I'm not sure, but I don't think this is possible with the DNS-323. 

Anyone - please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Wiggs
Wiggs,

DNS-323, 2-500GB Seagate Drives, FW 1.08
D-Link DGS-1005G Gigabit Switch
Asus O!Play Air Media Player
WinXP PC
OpenSuse 11.2 PC
Macbook 5,2 - Snow Leopard

jre

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »

It doesn't need to be specially formatted. Mine is formatted the default way and it works fine.

To get it to work.

You have to turn on AFP on the dns323 in Management/Application Management/AFP Service

On your mac run the following in a terminal

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

Then you need to create a sparsebundle file on your local mac hard drive and copy it to the nas,
this is a bit fiddly to get the settings correct.

see
http://anitechtalk.wordpress.com/2010/07/19/time-machine-dns323/

or

http://www.codedrop.ca/blog/archives/212

I can't remember the exact settings I used unfortunately.

Hope this is of some help

Carlv

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 07:52:04 AM »

Hi,

I am new on this forum, and i'm having troubles with my Mac system running Time capsule on the DNS-323. My Mac machines are running MAC OS X (10.7.3) while my DNS-323 runs latest firmware.

And i can't get my time machine correctly configured.
I couldn't get a telnet to the DNS drive and i can't even find the AFP Service in the Management console.
Although i can access my volume_1 using the finder, or even via the web browser.

The topic posted by Jre doesn't seem to work as i am not able to find the afp service and even make a telnet to the drive...

Help please...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:01:12 PM by Carlv »

Wiggs

• Level 3 Member
    • dwithers.com
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 08:31:09 AM »

Hi,

I am new on this forum, and i'm having troubles with my Mac system running Time capsule on the DNS-323. My Mac machines are running MAC OS X (10.7.3) while my DNS-323 runs latest firmware.

And i can't get my time machine correctly configured.
I couldn't get a telnet to the DNS drive and i can't even find the AFP Service in the Management console.
Although i can access my volume_1 using the finder, or even via the web browser.

The topic posted by Jre doesn't seem to work as i am not able to find the afp service and even make a telnet to the drive...

Help please...

The DNS-323 does not offer the ability to telnet to the machine under factory conditions.  In order to add this functionality you would require a fun_plug.  You can find information about fun_plug on the web, however keep in mind that it is not supported by this forum.

Regards,

Wiggs
Wiggs,

DNS-323, 2-500GB Seagate Drives, FW 1.08
D-Link DGS-1005G Gigabit Switch
Asus O!Play Air Media Player
WinXP PC
OpenSuse 11.2 PC
Macbook 5,2 - Snow Leopard

Carlv

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 05:36:43 PM »

Hi Wiggs,

Thanks for your information.
I rather try to do the things correctly so if i can do it in another way then i do it that way.

But the DNS-323 seems to be to old to be still updated.
Altough it seems a firmware modification needs to be done by DLink to be able to use the DNS-323 with the time machine...

Any help therefor or is it better to use the fun plug way?

Carlv

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 05:41:41 PM »

Hi,

I have done the necessary but now i have another problem there is no option Management/Application Management/AFP Service on the firmware 1.10
How can i activate the AFP if i don't have the Management or Application Management?

Thanks,

Carl