• April 27, 2024, 03:58:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "Wireless restarting" message in log - is this normal?  (Read 15819 times)

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
Re: "Wireless restarting" message in log - is this normal?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 07:52:01 PM »

Jason, I presume that the MAC address you show is your Wii's MAC address? If so, did you setup your Wii's wireless connection? Agree to the "terms and conditions"? If you haven't set up your wireless connection, could be that it is trying to latch on to any wireless signal it sees and since that signal probably has security enabled it will not authenticate.
Yes I did all the above and had not really paid attenttion to the logs til the 1.31 fw. My better hafe is setting the Wii up in another room as we speek. I'll see if it connects ok. FYI: I did enter all the Mac's and setting in manually,no file upload.
Did you go into the Wii wireless setup and input your network settings?
yes but it's been months since it's been on even...what a waste...dang kids.

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
  • I am not a number. I am a free man!
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 07:59:13 PM »

FYI: I did enter all the Mac's and setting in manually,no file upload.yes but it's been months since it's been on even...what a waste...dang kids.

LOL. Mine only comes on when my grandson comes over for the weekend. By the time Sunday night rolls around it's tongue is hanging out. My grandson is 11 and he has an uncle who is 2 years younger  :o. They both came over recently and they amused me as I watched them play Mario Kart against people from "who knows where" via the internet connection. Occasionally I will check the weather in Papa'ete, Tahiti (my dream vacation). Funny how it's always the same temperature - PERFECT.
Thread derailment: So easy a caveman can do it.

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 08:08:28 PM »

LOL. Mine only comes on when my grandson comes over for the weekend. By the time Sunday night rolls around it's tongue is hanging out. My grandson is 11 and he has an uncle who is 2 years younger  :o. They both came over recently and they amused me as I watched them play Mario Kart against people from "who knows where" via the internet connection. Occasionally I will check the weather in Papa'ete, Tahiti (my dream vacation). Funny how it's always the same temperature - PERFECT.
Well I think the wifey is going to beat my a** in boxing again.../jason1722x hangs his head in shame.

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 08:11:49 PM »

Well I think the wifey is going to beat my a** in boxing again.../jason1722x hangs his head in shame.

Laughing my freakin' butt off. Have you tried simply flicking your wrist as fast as you can? I found that this trick saves me a lot of sweat and heavy breathing. Uh, and I am referring to Wii boxing, by the way. Same goes for tennis.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 09:55:12 PM »

Jason, I presume that the MAC address you show is your Wii's MAC address? If so, did you setup your Wii's wireless connection? Agree to the "terms and conditions"? If you haven't set up your wireless connection, could be that it is trying to latch on to any wireless signal it sees and since that signal probably has security enabled it will not authenticate.
This is the wii connect24 being in standby mode.  It connects for a few seconds and disconnects to get updates.  I eventually turned the standby mode off and all those messages stopped.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 09:59:20 PM »

Back to the original question.

Try using this on a machine that has a wireless adapter to see what networks are flying around your area.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

papachungo13

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 04:15:58 AM »

ah HA!!!!!!!!!!!   :o  :o  :o  Do your messages look like this?

Wireless system with MAC address 001CF06E435D disconnected for reason: Received Deauthentication
Wireless system with MAC address 001CF06E435D associated
Wireless system with MAC address 001CF06E435D secured and linked

(please say yes)

Yes Clancy I see those messages almost immediately after the "Wireless restarted" messages (and sometimes just before as well).

Yes I do use MAC address filtering but see no need for IP reservation (it always gets the same address anyway since there are multiple connects before the lease expires, and I only have a total of three devices attached (2 wired, one not).

Based on your edit and the pattern I observe, it appears to be a normal phenomenon - perhaps the "green" feature of the router where it turns off interfaces/ports if not in use?
Product: DIR-825 - HW Version: B1 - FW Version: Formerly 2.03NA, Now DD-WRT

Clancy

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 05:36:40 AM »

Yes Clancy I see those messages almost immediately after the "Wireless restarted" messages (and sometimes just before as well).

Yes I do use MAC address filtering but see no need for IP reservation (it always gets the same address anyway since there are multiple connects before the lease expires, and I only have a total of three devices attached (2 wired, one not).

Based on your edit and the pattern I observe, it appears to be a normal phenomenon - perhaps the "green" feature of the router where it turns off interfaces/ports if not in use?

You are correct, Papa. IP reservation is not necessary. I guess I do it because I want to be able to look at an IP address and recognize what device it is just by looking at the number. Like you, however, devices like the Wii and my wireless printer always seemed to be assigned the same number. So I thought, fine, I'll make SURE you always get that number since you seem to like it so much.

The stop/restart messages are from your Wii. I suppose it could be a built in "green" feature. I am curious to know why Nintendo feels the need to pull a 3 Stooges by slapping it on the forehead and saying: "Wake up and go to sleep!" 

papachungo13

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2009, 08:09:50 AM »

Ok thanks.  Query answered (who says this forum doesn't accomplish anything?)
Product: DIR-825 - HW Version: B1 - FW Version: Formerly 2.03NA, Now DD-WRT
Pages: 1 [2]