• March 29, 2024, 07:45:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Issue with 1.21 firmware  (Read 4906 times)

Cranium

• Level 2 Member
Issue with 1.21 firmware
« on: January 11, 2010, 06:33:23 AM »

I have been having issues with the latest firmware.  The web services keep going down and I have to reboot my router several times per week.  Sometimes I have to do this multiple times per day.

Symptoms:
  • The internet starts to get slow or pages don't respond.  This affects both wired and wireless clients.
         * This ONLY appears to affect web browsing. 
         * I can still remote desktop in from work and access the computer (response is slower than normal) but web browsing still does not work. 
         * I can also still send/receive email.
  • The d-link gadget stops working and displays IP Address Error

Troubleshooting
I try to log into the router.  If the login page doesn't display or is very slow to load, I know it's time to reboot the router.  I pull the plug for a few seconds and plug it back in.  This has always been successful so far.

My network
  • 22Mb down, 2Mb up internet from cable going to the DIR-855 located outside the network distribution box in the laundry room (room stays cooler than the rest of the house in the winter and summer)
  • House is prewired with ethernet throughout
  • Gigabit switch upstairs serving the main computer, NAS, and printers
  • Gigabit switch in the family room serving a Xbox360 & PS3
  • Gagabit switch in the master bedroom serving a TV and Blu-ray player
  • DAP-1522 running as a wireless bridge connecting another computer system upstairs and connecting wirelessly at 5Ghz
  • Multiple wireless clients connecting at either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz

While I love the DIR-855, this issue is very frustrating.  I'd be glad to assist d-link in troubleshooting this issue in any way I can.

Magnetron1

• Level 1 Member
Re: Issue with 1.21 firmware
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 09:49:19 AM »

Just out of curiousity, what is the date code associated with your 1.21 firmware and what browser are you using ?  Are there error messages in the router's syslog ? Hopefully there are no duplicate IP addresses on your network.

Regards,
Magnetron1
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:44:15 AM by Magnetron1 »

Cranium

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 04:40:34 PM »

Firmware Version :  1.21NA,  2009/07/16. 

The browser would not have anything to do with the issue.  There is a mix of Opera, Firefox and Internet Explorer amongst the systems here.  All are affected.

No, there are not any messages in the system log. and there are no IP conflicts on the network.  Some devices have had IP's reserved but the most are dynamic.

I just disabled DNS relay on the router.  I got that tip from another post but do not understand why this would effectively crash the router or if it will work for me.

Magnetron1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 05:31:53 AM »

The DNS Relay problem is a known firmware bug where people have reported slow responses/no responses from the Internet and according to D-Link has been fixed in the Beta release 121b07NA. Visit  ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir855/Beta/Firmware/ to download a copy. Please note that after installing the firmware,  the router's Status page will show firmware 1.21NA 2009/11/05. ( I wish D-Link's programmers would be more specific in showing the firmware revision numbers ! ; this is why I asked you for the date code in my previous post.)

By disabling DNS Relay you have benched the router from the DNS ballgame. Of course the packets still flow through the router to the Internet but it is a passive participant. With DNS Relay enabled your PC asks your router for the DNS Information and your router in turn queries a DNS server for the answer and then "relays" this back to your PC.

DNS servers are the functional equivalent to 411 Directory Assistance Operators. If you didn't know Bob, your next door neighbor's phone number you could call 411 to get it. You know it would be useless to pick up the phone and while listening to the Dialtone you yelled "Hey Bob pick up your phone": you know to dial Bob's phone number first. Well - If your computer connected to the Internet and yelled "Hey, www.amazon.com" not much is going to happen either.  The Internet doesn't know amazon.com from a hole in the ground; it too works on numbers - IP addresses. DNS servers provide these numbers. Of course you could memorize the IP addresses of all your favorite web sites and enter them into the address bar on your browser and bypass the whole DNS process! If you enjoy doing this you could also try memorizing the telephone numbers of all 8 million people that live in New York City. Good luck with that! While I have greatly simplified the process,  I think you get the picture.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Magnetron1
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:35:43 AM by Magnetron1 »

Cranium

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »

I just installed 1.21NA,  2009/11/05 and turned on DNS relay again.  We'll see if the issue is resolved.

Thanks for the suggestions.  :)

HedgeHocker

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 09:44:16 PM »

ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir855/Beta/Firmware/...

That did not fix the DNS relay problem for me.

I can not set a static IP with my service provider unless I buy a business class account.

I'm going to ask for an RMA but I may be out of warranty ..won't stop me from asking them since they broke it.

I may just seell this on Ebay and buy a less featured router that WORKS.
"The attatchment upload directory is not writeable."