• March 28, 2024, 01:05:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 2 Questions about my WBR-2310  (Read 6192 times)

TheJackal

2 Questions about my WBR-2310
« on: October 16, 2008, 07:21:26 PM »

I really do like my WBR-2310, but there are 2 things about it that give me trouble sometimes.

First off, I have the router set up in Access Point Mode.  There is already another router on the network, but it is wired.  The WBR-2310 is providing the wireless access around here.

It works well but after a while, the WBR-2310 will no longer pass DHCP requests through for computers connected via wireless.  Computers connected to the wired ports will acquire IPs just fine.  If I unplug the router or go into Tools->System->Reboot, it'll work fine for a few days or so.  Then it'll be doing that again and people will start complaining to me that their wireless connection isn't working anymore.  >:( It happens on any computer that connects wirelessly so it's not them. It's happening slightly more often with firmware 1.05, firmware 1.04 was a little better, but it still did it.

Also, I can't get the NTP Time Sync feature to work.  I don't know if that's because I have it in access point mode or what, but it doesn't work for me.  Will this ever be fixed?

RussellM

• Level 2 Member
    • D-Link Technical Support
Re: 2 Questions about my WBR-2310
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 11:56:14 AM »

Hello TheJackal,

First off, I have the router set up in Access Point Mode.  There is already another router on the network, but it is wired.  The WBR-2310 is providing the wireless access around here.

It works well but after a while, the WBR-2310 will no longer pass DHCP requests through for computers connected via wireless.  Computers connected to the wired ports will acquire IPs just fine.  If I unplug the router or go into Tools->System->Reboot, it'll work fine for a few days or so.  Then it'll be doing that again and people will start complaining to me that their wireless connection isn't working anymore.   It happens on any computer that connects wirelessly so it's not them. It's happening slightly more often with firmware 1.05, firmware 1.04 was a little better, but it still did it.

Well, you could always set the IP addresses manually on the individual computers that you connect. It may be inconvenient though if this router is used for people coming in and out. What type of security are you using? You might want to change it to the standard WEP/64bit security if you're using anything higher than that.

I'm assuming you still use the wired router because you need the LAN ports? You may also just setup the network as Modem > Dlink > Wired Router. Just disable the DHCP server on the wired router and you would essentially just use it as a switch, or simply purchase a dedicated hub/switch to accommodate the amount of LAN ports you need. In my experience any router is more stable when directly connected to modems or the public IP address source. The more hops computers have the more problems that may occur.

Also, your DHCP server on the wired router, check what the IP address range it gives off, you might want to widen the range in case you have a lot of users trying to connect at once. I have no idea what you use this this network for, this is of course assuming it's widely used by many people (If that was the case, I'd recommend a business-class Access Point/router).

To answer the second question:
Also, I can't get the NTP Time Sync feature to work.  I don't know if that's because I have it in access point mode or what, but it doesn't work for me.  Will this ever be fixed?

Try both servers in the configuration page, that's really all I have for this, ha. I'm not sure if using it as an AP has any affect but I'll try it out later and get back to you if I found that's the case.

Best of Luck,

Russell

TheJackal

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 07:32:33 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I tried both time servers and neither work.  I've also tried entering other time servers, but that hasn't worked either.

The wired Linksys router is in a distribution box and supplies the wired LAN ports for the building. I can't really do anything with it, tho it is set up with default password and I configure port forwarding when needed sometimes.  ;)

Static IPs aren't a good option for this application, because with laptops in and out changing the IP settings over and over and over again would get old fast.

One additional question, too, when the router is put into access point mode, why do features like Network Filter and Website Filter become unavailable?

gshaghoian

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 10:32:40 AM »

I would recommend using the WBR as your router, and using the wired router as your switch.